Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Kit for 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Spare Tire Kit for 997

I just got this from ebay - a few posts back, you see why (Flat Tire Story).

This a full spare tire kit from a 986 Boxster or 996 911. It has the 17 inch "bicycle" style tire, inflated, rather than the collapsed spare. I got it from Ebay for $350+$50 shipping:

This tire, or so I read in some old Porsche manual, should be used only on the front - for rear flats, the front tire should be moved to the rear and the spare used up front.

I thought it would be a good idea to test it out - here's the tire on the car and you can also the tire cover, foam insert, toolkit, jack, plastic gloves, and "take-off" tire bag that came with it (also a set of wiper blades - not sure if they'll work on my car yet) - it all looks new:

The clearance on the front brakes is very close and I have 5mm spacers on the car. I saw some kit that was being sold that included a spacer and I think it would be required. There's about 1/4 inch clearance - a little less than I had with the original C IV wheels with no spacers:

The tire had no air in it when I got it (yes I filled and made sure it would hold air). With some air out, it can fit up against the back of the frunk and leave about two-thirds of the frunk depth for luggage:

Fully filled, it sits higher than the rubber frunk gasket, so it has to lay back at an angle with storage under/in back of it and on top/in front available. Ah, the frunk was small anyway.

And, amusing in a "this just keeps getting better" sort of way...

...the front tire I removed to test the spare fitment turns out has a nail in it - not ever leaking a drop of air...yet. Looks like it had a head that is now worn off only leaving the nail:

Just the kind of thing to make me even happier with my new spare...and my wheel and tire warranty, if/when they pay up. Another call to Service tomorrow - 2nd tire in 2 weeks ...

Last edited by stevepow; 11-02-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Don't worry. Now that you have a spare you'll never have a flat.

You had bad luck. The probability of another tire mishap if you take care of your tires is very small. Unless you drive mostly around construction zones.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Well, as you can see, I have spare oil too and have needed that, so I don't know about that umbrella effect - one can hope...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. This has me rethinking the whole center-lock wheel thing...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brt3
Wow. This has me rethinking the whole center-lock wheel thing...
That is for sure. I know track guys replacing those.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevepow
I just got this from ebay - a few posts back, you see why (Flat Tire Story).

This tire, or so I read in some old Porsche manual, should be used only on the front - for rear flats, the front tire should be moved to the rear and the spare used up front.
Most punctures are in the rears.

And, amusing in a "this just keeps getting better" sort of way...

...the front tire I removed to test the spare fitment turns out has a nail in it - not ever leaking a drop of air...yet. Looks like it had a head that is now worn off only leaving the nail
That can easily and safely be repaired with a plug.

Are you driving a lot around construction yards? or kids playing pranks?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Just to add a bit of info here for others...

Be careful when looking for spares from Ebay - there are many 16 collapsible tires, but not the 17's we need. The part number is 996-362-020-0x where x can be anything from 2 to 4, with no apparent difference - just a year model thing. And in fact, in the PET parts catalog, that tire is listed as "Emergency Wheel" all the way through 997 MY 2008.

I don't know which is better, the spec'd part above or the 996/986 spare I bought. I'll keep an eye out for the other one and probably get one of those as well. The 997 tire is less diameter, but wider: 6inches versus 4in - although it is also the spec'd 997 spare, so there may be other things about it that are better for our cars too - like brake clearance - maybe it doesn't need spacers.

Here is a good post, recalled, covering using that 996-362-020-02 in a C4 by Coochas:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-tire-c4s.html
Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the collapsible spare.

I know for a fact, the one shown above (986 Boxster) can only fit in the 997.1 trunk IF it is slanted and taking up ALL the space.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ADias
Most punctures are in the rears.

That can easily and safely be repaired with a plug.

Are you driving a lot around construction yards? or kids playing pranks?
Ha - Atlanta is a construction yard.

Yes, I guess I pull it, pull the nail, see if I get a leak - if it leaks, then plug it - then have my W&T Warranty replace it.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Not entirely true. I can't speak for the 997.2 but it fits in the 997.1 laying down (you must remove and relocate the bose amp if you have it- easily done).

It's very tight, which is nice, it requires a nice little shove to get it into place which tightly secures it. you can see my other junk arranged around it. I also have a piece of carpeted plywood that covers it all up. My frunk gets effectively 8" shorter by carrying a spare.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Not entirely true. I can't speak for the 997.2 but it fits in the 997.1 laying down (you must remove and relocate the bose amp if you have it- easily done).

It's very tight, which is nice, it requires a nice little shove to get it into place which tightly secures it. you can see my other junk arranged around it. I also have a piece of carpeted plywood that covers it all up. My frunk gets effectively 8" shorter by carrying a spare.
No - lemme help clarify. OP was talking about the 986 Boxster spare which is not a space saver unit like you're showing and I also have.

Shown below:

Boxster spare as it comes directly from trunk (already inflated).

Collapsible spare directly from trunk before required inflation.
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LlBr
Get the collapsible spare.

I know for a fact, the one shown above (986 Boxster) can only fit in the 997.1 trunk IF it is slanted and taking up ALL the space.
Really? You do see the photo I took of it standing upright (and mostly deflated)? I would have taken a pic of the frunk closed, but that seemed less interesting.

But lets talk collapsible - can you lay yours down on the bottom as shown in the 997.1? What is the diameter of that 17inch wheel&tire when collapsed? I'm thinking the wheel alone is 18in, then at least 2 inches for the tire - 20in or 21in? Coochas says 21in and he usually has the right info.

I'd like to get one of those also if it works better. So how do you put it in your frunk? Pics would be a bonus - I showed you mine, now you...
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Understood that the non collapsibe does not lay down in the 997.1 frunk

For future ref: the collapsible fits in the 997.1 frunk laying down if you take the carpeted cardboard off and move the bose amp to the side (shown in pic above).
Old 11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Really? You do see the photo I took of it standing upright? I would have taken a pic of the frunk closed, but that seemed less interesting.

But lets talk collapsible - can you lay yours down on the bottom as shown in the 997.1? What is the diameter of that 17inch wheel&tire when collapsed? I'm thinking the wheel alone is 18in, then at least 2 inches for the tire - 20in or 21in? I'd like to get one of those also if it works better.
WEIRD! Hummmmm. I had a 997.1S and literally tried to fit my friend's 986S spare in it and it would NOT fit unless it was slanted. What the heck?! There was no nav unit. Anyway, glad it works for you. Weird!

Just went out and measured collapsible unit I have - it's exactly 21 inches (+ or - .25 inches).
Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Understood that the non collapsibe does not lay down in the 997.1 frunk

For future ref: the collapsible fits in the 997.1 frunk laying down if you take the carpeted cardboard off and move the bose amp to the side (shown in pic above).
Right - don't think the ".2" has the same setup. The tire pump kit is on that back wall at the bottom and protrudes out about 1.5 in, all the way across and maybe 8in high. But with that removed, seems like a solid wall all the way down (seems like I read somewhere that the GAS TANK is right behind it).

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Kit for 997