Sponsored by:

Porsche Owner Psychology

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Porsche Owner Psychology

I have found it very interesting reading about how the members of this forum, me included, take care of their cars as well as the feelings toward their cars. I was wondering if this is Porsche specific or if those who own other brands dote over those cars too? What are the motivators behind these actions? Does the brand attract the OCD buyer or are we this way because we spent so much money on the car, sometimes north of $100,000? Do we, as Porsche owners, treat other cars the same way, washing and detailing week in and week out? Would you give the same treatment to a Ford Fiesta or a Kia? I am not being critical, I would just like to learn more about the motivations behind these behaviors.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clean my Porsche once a month, the rest of my cars every year!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 PM
boolala
Race Car

I take my p-car through the automatic drive through car wash about once every 3 months. I have never waxed it. I change the oil once a year (yes, I realize that's overkill). I like driving it but in the end it's just a car. I treat it no differently in that respect than if it were a Toyota Corolla.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I treat all my cars equally. All my cars are driven and I do the required minimum so that they look almost like-new all the time. My P-car is driven about 6k miles/year.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 PM
jakes dad
Racer

My F-150 is used as a truck.
My Ford Freestyle is a seven passenger vehicle used to ferry around the grandkids etc.
My Toyota Prius is used to travel in.
My Porsche is a special occasion car: driven less and kept cleaner than the others.

No special science going on here... The demands on the different cars varies greatly and are maintained at different levels..

All my vehicles are maintained to the max at the level they demand...
You can beat up an F-150 as is expected by the market.
Who wants a beat up Prius or Freestyle... It's just common sense... Plenty of good used cars on the market so who wants a pile of crap...
Plenty of well maintained Porsches on the market so who wants one thats dirty and scratched?????
It's not rocket science....

Last edited by jakes dad; 10-31-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM
brt3
Instructor

I grew up on a farm and inherited the addiction to all things mechanical from my Dad. He learned preventative maintenance in the Air Force, and put so many miles on his 1970 Buick Electra that we all assumed he'd be buried in it.

I try to take good care of all my belongings. Cars, in particular, are a significant investment. When it comes time to sell one of my cars, I always get top dollar and have few issues with negotiating a price, as most people are happy to buy a fairly-priced car that has every scrap of documentation to show it's been well-cared for.

I'm sure there are Porsche owners with OCD, but I doubt the percentage exceeds that of the general population. Unless, of course, certain OCD traits are connected with success in businesses that require great attention to detail. If that were the case, any expensive car might be likely to have a higher percentage of owners with OCD than is seen in the general population.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:41 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RL will attract more connoisseurs of the marque. As a result, more guys/gals here will have OCD tendencies towards the upkeep of their cars; have a historical interest in the brand and may be more engaged with motorsport activities . They will congregate at Porsche Club of America/Porsche Owners Club events and the OCD only worsens with age. There is no cure for these
people....
For example, I just completed my pilgrimage to the Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama this past week. hehehe

However, most folks in LA are oblivious to the provenance of their P-cars and just use them to drive to the mall and ferry poodles.

Last edited by beowulf; 10-31-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
I'm sure there are Porsche owners with OCD, but I doubt the percentage exceeds that of the general population. Unless, of course, certain OCD traits are connected with success in businesses that require great attention to detail. If that were the case, any expensive car might be likely to have a higher percentage of owners with OCD than is seen in the general population.
Since we're getting a little technical with this OCD business I'll very briefly expand.
In my trade, OCD is defined as a pathological obsession/causing significant
dysfunction (ego dystonic Axis I condition) or as a more productive personality
trait (ego syntonic Axis II condition) that majority of successful, detail oriented
folks have.
Okay, this is already to much work for me on a Sunday.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Ehhh..., all I care about is:

Proper mechanical maintenance
Proper leather, vinyl, rubber etc maint.
CLEAN interior
CLEAN windshield
GOOD coat of wax under the moderately clean exterior, IOW no visible grime on paint or wheels
Tire pressure and oil level.

That's about it.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:12 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Hey that is a great list.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Drive It like I Stole IT!

All other vehicels get weekly baths with a good once over for details....
Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

For me it is not Porsche specific. I've been **** with all my cars, regardless of make. Spent just as much time with my early cars (like my RX-7s and Miatas) as I have with my more recent cars (mostly BMWs and MBs). But because my 911 is basalt black, it does require a bit more care compared to other colors I've had.

I do admit that the Porsche is more special to me. Like many on the forum, the 911 has been a dream car that I aspired to own since early childhood.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by beowulf
... I just completed my pilgrimage to the Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama this past week. ...
We are eagerly waiting to read your comprehensive report.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beowulf
For example, I just completed my pilgrimage to the Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama this past week. hehehe
I would really like to hear your analysis of the Porsche Driving School. Did it meet all of your expectations? Was it worth every penny? I am considering taking the course. I have to make sure it is worth the $2500 cost plus lodging. Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well to me there are cars, and then there is the 911.
Not porsche, the 911.
This car conjures up emotions. I dont know if it is the shape or the drive or the sound or what...

So, all the other cars will get the occasional attention, but nothing like the 911s get. Even the merc (2001 SL 320 Final Edition) which I had and I did like and enjoy quite a lot never got the care of the 911.

Maintenance yes, although there is little needed to be honest for the miles I drive. Annual check, air, oil, and occasional follow up on funny noises.

Quick Reply: Porsche Owner Psychology