Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Owner Psychology

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always seen a car as more than transportation. From my first vehicle (Used 1978 Ford F150 I got from my uncle) through my P-Car today.

Cars have always held a special place for me. I think all cars need to have a purpose though, or why else have them in the driveway.

I've got the Minivan as a family hauler, I've got a Honda Pilot as a very capable utility/rough weather vehicle (that all wheel drive system does a GREAT job in the snow and ice).

I've always had a "special" vehicle. Long ago it was a series of motorcycles. With a family on the way I opted to move to 4 wheels. I went through a series of 2 seater drop top sports cars. And now have the 2006 C2 hardtop.

I can remember the first 911 I ever rode in. It was a buddies Dad that brought one home when I was a Sophomore in High School. I was in love with it from the second I saw it. Now some 20+ years later, I finally got my own.

I try to treat them all with a respect that a complicated machine needs. Basic maintenance is just a part of owning a vehicle. The Pcar does not deserve better. It deserves what it needs to stay in good shape inside and out.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I treat all my cars equally. All my cars are driven and I do the required minimum so that they look almost like-new all the time. My P-car is driven about 6k miles/year.
Originally Posted by brt3
I grew up on a farm and inherited the addiction to all things mechanical from my Dad. He learned preventative maintenance in the Air Force, and put so many miles on his 1970 Buick Electra that we all assumed he'd be buried in it.

I try to take good care of all my belongings. Cars, in particular, are a significant investment. When it comes time to sell one of my cars, I always get top dollar and have few issues with negotiating a price, as most people are happy to buy a fairly-priced car that has every scrap of documentation to show it's been well-cared for.

I'm sure there are Porsche owners with OCD, but I doubt the percentage exceeds that of the general population. Unless, of course, certain OCD traits are connected with success in businesses that require great attention to detail. If that were the case, any expensive car might be likely to have a higher percentage of owners with OCD than is seen in the general population.
I am in the same boat as these guys.

I used to be a guy that always needed the newest and latest and greatest. Guess I have gotten wiser with money as I have gotten older (hence I am only 32). My cars are taken care of but at the same time, daily drivers. No obsession. Just like to keep them clean and maintained. I think people sell cars too early simply because a newer one is all nice and clean with no rattles. This also gives me pride when I sell a car.

Case in point, I just sold my 2001 Jetta after 10 years and 115k miles. Purchased brand new. Paid $20k. Sold for $5400. The buyer drove 3-4 hours to see it and said it was the nicest he had seen. No complaints from me.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I have found it very interesting reading about how the members of this forum, me included, take care of their cars as well as the feelings toward their cars. I was wondering if this is Porsche specific or if those who own other brands dote over those cars too? What are the motivators behind these actions? Does the brand attract the OCD buyer or are we this way because we spent so much money on the car, sometimes north of $100,000? Do we, as Porsche owners, treat other cars the same way, washing and detailing week in and week out? Would you give the same treatment to a Ford Fiesta or a Kia? I am not being critical, I would just like to learn more about the motivations behind these behaviors.
My automotive passion is not Porsche-centric, as my level of care is the same with all of my vehicles, including the golf cart. I don't regard my cars as mere appliances, whether it's an expensive P-car or a plain-vanilla Honda minivan. They all have different personalities to me, and I take great care of them because they take great care of me.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

For me, a car (p-car or otherwise) is a tool. But proper care and usage of that tool will bring dividends.
I take care of my vehicles, period. I don't worship them, & I don't harshly abuse them. But they ARE meant to be driven.

Now a p-car is a tool, but IMHO, provides more than just a utility function. Though other sports/exotics offer this as well, each has its own character, and characteristics. The 911 thing is a great "thing".

Quick Reply: Porsche Owner Psychology