Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aston Martin Vantage replace my 997?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in this position I might try one of those "Spercar Driving Events", as long as you'd be guaranteed a lot of seat time in the Aston...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 PM
kurteck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AMV8 Experience

They really are different cars so it depends upon what you value most. If you're looking for a timeless piece of automotive art and can live with 85% of the 911's performance, then you'd probably be happy with a Vantage. Here's my experience:

Performance
As others have said, the steering is a bit meaty and you do feel the weight of the car at slower speeds (I'd call it stable.) At higher speeds, and while pushing through twisty turns, the car feels surprisingly nimble and grippy. Off the line the car is quick, but not 997 quick by any means. That said, I've looked down a few times and been surprised at how fast I was going. The speed builds so smoothly.

Transmission
Whatever you do, don't get the auto-manual transmission. It requires you to "shift" the car (kinda like a manual) with the gas pedal in order to have a smooth ride. By that, I mean you need to let off the gas when the RPMs climb to a shift point and then get back on the gas after the car shifts. It is somewhat odd so definitely stick to the manual which has a direct feel if a slight bit notchy. The clutch is noticeably heavier than a 997.

Maintenance
Maintenance is only slightly more expensive than a 911. Annual maintenance (oil changes, cabin filters, etc.) runs about $600-$1000 depending upon what you do. One downside to AM ownership is lack of certified mechanics. You're pretty much stuck with the dealer unless you do the work yourself.

Looks and Sound
I love the 911's classic coke bottle looks, but this car is just in another league. In my opinion it has one of the finest automotive shapes of all time. It is simply gorgeous from all angles. Be prepared to get lots of thumbs-ups and approving nods. The sound track is amazing. I rarely drive with the radio on because it is just so satisfying to listen the throaty V8. If you have the chance, drive through a tunnel with the windows down and the the RPMs above 5k. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.
Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Kuhan
Racer

That's a beautiful car, no doubt...
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget oil changes and cabin filters .. if I had a black Vantage like that I'd be spending at least $100 a week on detailing!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Just drove a XKR with the intention of buying it,I passed.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Need to drive both and compare to your driving style, both are beautiful cars. For me, the Vantage had poor visibility in front if you are less than 6' as seats do not adjust upward.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Vegas
Intermediate

In my opinion, the only real reasons to buy the Vantage is for it's killer looks and sound. The exhaust on that thing sounds absolutely sick at WOT, and I think it's one of the most beautiful coupes ever.

I've had some good seat time in a few AMV8's and agree that the car is far more GT, than sports car. Not that that's a bad thing. It's a great GT.

However, if you're after sports car driving dynamics, Porsche is the clear choice.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhan
In my limited experience, you are not going to get the sharp dryving dynamics of a 911 in many other cars. You get a similar feel in a Honda S2000 or a Lotus Exige but they don't have that "grown up" car feel. I find cars like the M3 to be a bit too soft. A friend just bought a Lexus IS350 convertible and while it's fast off the line, it feels like you're driving a bus.
As a current Lotus Exige S owner who is considering a 911, I find your comment about it not having a "grown up" car feel interesting. Can you explain what you mean by that a bit more?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Of course it turns heads in the UK. UK car in UK = win.

Aston = Fancy Ford no matter what you call it. Aston would have gone bankrupt without Ford years ago.
And in all fairness, Porsche would have gone bankrupt in that attempted sneaky VAG takeover deal that fell-through; were it not for VAG bailing them out.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

This is such a great post !, Today i am trading my 2006 tricked out 997 for a 2011 Maserati GranCabrio. for the past week while my car is being prepared with all the stuff i am adding, i was going thru the same thoughts and perhaps aprehension. While my Porsche is bullet proof, drives like i stole it, The Maserati is elegant, has the room in the back seets i need for my growing kids (11&14) . 5 years ago the seats were fine. I looked at the Panamera and found it cheap as compared to the Maserati, and of course no Cab, and certainly no 911, which was a big downside for me. When i sit in the Maserati, it is all leather, stitching , elegance and does not drive bad either. V8 with 433 hp, gives it both seat HP and real HP. The 911 is a go kart, but now that i am getting older (59) and this being my 3rd Porsche, I will try to settle into elegance. If i cant handle elegance, luxury and exotic, WTF i can always get another Porsche :0
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
jurbina
Advanced

I have owned a 997TT, two V8 Vantages (a manual coupe and an auto convertible) and now back to a C4S. The Vantage is an absolutely beautiful car inside and out. I still love the way they look...killer. The performance is no where near what the Pcar is but in the city, you don't notice it that much unless you are dragging from the stoplight. The ride is smoother but steering less precise. The auto gearbox sucks, so avoid. If you want to track the car or drive hard, the Pcar is a much better choice. If you want to cruise, the Vantage is a blast. Maybe the V12 Vantage can get to Porsche performance numbers but you'll take a big spanking on the depreciation hit. Buy a used (NOT an automatic, I would agree) one and enjoy it for a bit until you get bored...

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
jurbina
Advanced

I have owned a 997TT, two V8 Vantages (a manual coupe and an auto convertible) and now back to a C4S. The Vantage is an absolutely beautiful car inside and out. I still love the way they look...killer. The performance is no where near what the Pcar is but in the city, you don't notice it that much unless you are dragging from the stoplight. The ride is smoother but steering less precise. The auto gearbox sucks, so avoid. If you want to track the car or drive hard, the Pcar is a much better choice. If you want to cruise, the Vantage is a blast. Maybe the V12 Vantage can get to Porsche performance numbers but you'll take a big spanking on the depreciation hit. Buy a used (NOT an automatic, I would agree) one and enjoy it for a bit until you get bored...

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Maserati

Just traded my 997 for a Maserati GT Cabrio, great car, not a porsch in go kart tendencies, but i have never had so many people turn their heads. Car is great for my kids, no regrets.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

I can't imagine the Vantage (even the V12) to hold your attention long-term; unless you are completely done with a 911. The DBS may well be a different story.

That said, both are great cars, but yeah, the AM's really drop like a rock once you drive out of the showroom... Hideously so. Unless money is no object you might consider a used one, and buy another used p-car (or have a substantial chunk set aside for it) with the difference.

I'm a fan of all 3 brands mentioned on this page (AM, Porsche, Maserati), and each has their place. Wifey will be getting a Maserati Gran Cabrio the near future.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 PM
JackQ
Advanced

I agree than buying a new Vantage would not make financial sense. I am looking for a used Vantage specifically a 09 (4.7 engine), I am planning on visiting the closest dealer to drive a few of thier used vantages. I am willing to accept a loss of performance for the trade-off for a bit quieter and more comfortable car as I have gotten older, my first 911 was in 1981. The 2011 991 maly or may not be more GT like, depending on what you read, but still will not have the look of an Aston.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Vantage replace my 997?