Sponsored by:

Obsessively Anal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by points
yep all micro fiber towels folded and segregated by their particular job on my car.
Not "****." Once you remove wax with them they can never be used to clean glass. At least that's been my experience even with multiple washings and special MF cleaner sold at Griots. Also would make sense to wash the ones used for wax completely separate from the non-wax ones.

BTW: Get a microscopic view of a dirty MF and totally aggravate your OCD symptoms! Especially if it was used in the bathroom. You won't be able to leave the house for a week!
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LlBr
Don't forget your e tips.
How difficult are those to remove and clean? Mine are coated with soot...
Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by jakes dad
How difficult are those to remove and clean? Mine are coated with soot...
Leave them on IMO. Do the best you can squatting behind them while you wipe. It's waaaaay too **** to be overdoing cleaning the "ahls" of our cars' engines.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I bet I'm the only one to wash my Porsche in the rain. A couple months ago I was getting it ready for a car show in the mountains and had no time to wash and detail it before the weekend so I'm outside in a raincoat cleaning the wheels and giving it a good bath. Then pulled it in the garage to dry and finish it. My neighbors must have thought I was completely nuts. Haven't washed it since (hasn't rained lately).
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carcam
I bet I'm the only one to wash my Porsche in the rain. A couple months ago I was getting it ready for a car show in the mountains and had no time to wash and detail it before the weekend so I'm outside in a raincoat cleaning the wheels and giving it a good bath. Then pulled it in the garage to dry and finish it. My neighbors must have thought I was completely nuts. Haven't washed it since (hasn't rained lately).
No problem. Good idea. Except for rotor-**** me I would have gone nuts to see rusty rotors the net day.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
No problem. Good idea. Except for rotor-**** me I would have gone nuts to see rusty rotors the net day.
Nothing worse than getting the rotors all wet. Bad enough when the wheel towel (Green) brushes against them.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skibum
Nothing worse than getting the rotors all wet. Bad enough when the wheel towel (Green) brushes against them.
Yes you want to avoid this at all costs NEVER let the green wheel towel cloth touch the rotors!
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Have not read this whole thread so may have been said but I believe the wheel in post #5 was OCBens.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 PM
signature65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is this a preemptive analness(sp).

I'm doing my search for my 997 and I LOVE black, but I have a black 4Runner now and they are impossible to keep clean. Especially since my car sits outside overnight at least a third of the month. So I'm avoiding black full well knowing my 4Runner can be dirty and its ok....but my 997 will drive me nuts if its dirty all the time.

What category does that put me in?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by signature65
A classic "on the cusp"...
1. sell house
2. buy garage big enough for both vehicles and a bed.
3. get your color coordinated towels.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by signature65
So is this a preemptive analness(sp).

my car sits outside overnight at least a third of the month.

You are disqualified. No Porsche [i.e. soup] for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8
Old 10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

IMO drive the heck out your car. I consider myself very **** with my car, but I do drive her. That engine will only get better over time by using it. That's been proven. Keep it under glass and what have you accomplished? Nothing. I wax and prep my car routinely. Won two concours events. But I do enjoy putting miles on my flat six. So I'm not saying to detail less, but you bought this car not as an investment but as a Porsche, which should be driven.

Jay
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a good tip:

Don't use any type of fabric softener when washing your detailing rags & towels. Especially window cleaning towels. Check the soap's lable, many products today are combined detergent & fabric softener.

And I did over 720 miles in the Porsches this weekend. They get driven, and kept clean. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Well after reading this thread a few times I went over to the dark side. I washed my car this weekend. I got some of that Eagle 1 tire and wheel cleaner. It really made a difference on the appearance of the car. I use a small brush to get into the wheel. I never really understood how wide those damn wheels are. I can see why some of you take the wheels off to clean them. I must say it got a good sense of satisfaction cleaning the car. I then took it for a 50 mile jaunt to dry the rotors. It was a beautiful day to boot 60 degrees and sunny.
I attached a pic to prove my story!
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I then took it for a 50 mile jaunt to dry the rotors.
I attached a pic to prove my story!
Looks good. Next time use your leaf blower. Works great. I dry my car +95% with the leaf blower.

Tip- leaf blow the driveway prior to starting. Also use this to blow our your front air intakes, first dry, and again wet after washing. Lots of stuff will fly out.

Quick Reply: Obsessively Anal