Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you a PCA member?
Yes
84.55%
No
10.30%
Not currently, but I plan to join.
5.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a PCA member?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Joined right after buying my car. Mostly for the potential discounts. Been to one DE so far. It was a blast.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Gravedgr, I just joined Peachstate. But I'm just a regular guy that could finally get my dream car. I want to take it on the track to safely experience what she can do...other than that...I just want to love my car and enjoy twisty roads with her. If you ever want to start the "regular guys" click in the group....we can start it. :-)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I want to take it on the track to safely experience what she can do...
You won't regret it. You have to try the track, at least once, if you really want to understand what these cars are all about.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Each region varies considerably. Some are better than others. In some regions members are out to impress each other with themselves. Others are significantly more down to earth. I find that the larger a region you are in the less satisfying it is. How can you possibly meet and know 755 people instead of perhaps 100?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was a member in 2005 when I got my 997.1. Panorma was OK. I get the same or better discount than PCA members. Found most of the people I met to be a bit stuck up and snobby so I dropped out with no regrets.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
@Gravedgr, I just joined Peachstate. But I'm just a regular guy that could finally get my dream car. I want to take it on the track to safely experience what she can do...other than that...I just want to love my car and enjoy twisty roads with her. If you ever want to start the "regular guys" click in the group....we can start it. :-)
Works for me. I have always just made friends with locals who enjoy energetic drives up in the N. Ga. mountain rather than worrying so much about the local club (I still hang out on the AtlMINI forum because of the people). I will probably renew my PCA for at least a year and attend a couple of events to meet some more locals like me.

I enjoy track days, but I also enjoy a spirited drive on surface streets (safe locations) - and they are much less wear and tear on the car.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Schist4Brainz
Instructor

NYC_Z06 (and/or others), do you get a discount on an oil change at the dealer with a PCA membership? Was it then cheaper than doing it yourself?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

My wife signed me up for our anniversary a couple of months ago, havent done anything with it yet though, but it did get us into porsche museum for half price!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM
carrageous
Intermediate

Just joined. Am in Hill Country Region and our local dealer is involved, so I presume there are some discount opportunities.

Mostly, was looking for some opps to hang out with some other car guys. Most of my car buddies live on the West Coast.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to see so many respondents to the poll are PCA members. The club leadership is constantly looking to enhance the membership experience. Since we are one of only three clubs recognized by Porsche in North America (the others being the 356 Registery and the Porsche Owners Club), we have the advantage of being very close to Porsche AG in Germany, PCNA and PCC. This means special offers and opportunities to PCA members.

Most of my closest friends are PCA members. It's amazing how a little German car can bring people together. I just spent the weekend up at Mosport, helping out at the Porsche Platz (owners corral) where I got to hang out with 100 or so Porsche fanatics. Weather was spectacular, racing was even better (Porsche won both classes) as well as the opportunity to meet the drivers from Team Falken, all four of the Flying Lizards, Bobby Unser, etc.

Of course, you have to come out to an event to see why the club's motto is "it's not about the cars, it's the people".

For those in the Altanta area, try coming out to the Petit Le Mans in October. It's one of the largest Porsche Platzes. Not sure if any Platz tickets are still available, but even if you don't bring your Porsche, you're more than welcome to come hang out in the tent with fellow PCAers.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 AM
csorrows
Instructor

I haven't joined yet, but am thinking about it. Back when I owned my 89 Targa in the late 90's, I was a member of the Diablo region in northern CA. But I didn't really do any of the functions.

Now that I have my 06, I'm thinking about joining, and I think it's the Golden Gate region that I'm in now.

Anybody have any opinions on the GG region?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
911FM
Racer

Track events mainly.

Panorama is fine but not as nice as Roundel (BMW). I stay with BMWCCA for Roundel alone.

FM
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to the discount, but no to the cheaper than DIY. Think it was appx $200 all in.

Originally Posted by ushgeo
NYC_Z06 (and/or others), do you get a discount on an oil change at the dealer with a PCA membership? Was it then cheaper than doing it yourself?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Glad to see so many respondents to the poll are PCA members. The club leadership is constantly looking to enhance the membership experience. Since we are one of only three clubs recognized by Porsche in North America (the others being the 356 Registery and the Porsche Owners Club), we have the advantage of being very close to Porsche AG in Germany, PCNA and PCC. This means special offers and opportunities to PCA members.

Most of my closest friends are PCA members. It's amazing how a little German car can bring people together. I just spent the weekend up at Mosport, helping out at the Porsche Platz (owners corral) where I got to hang out with 100 or so Porsche fanatics. Weather was spectacular, racing was even better (Porsche won both classes) as well as the opportunity to meet the drivers from Team Falken, all four of the Flying Lizards, Bobby Unser, etc.

Of course, you have to come out to an event to see why the club's motto is "it's not about the cars, it's the people".

For those in the Altanta area, try coming out to the Petit Le Mans in October. It's one of the largest Porsche Platzes. Not sure if any Platz tickets are still available, but even if you don't bring your Porsche, you're more than welcome to come hang out in the tent with fellow PCAers.
Thanks for posting! It's nice to see a top PCA executive post at Rennlist. Yes, PCA is about the people.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
jjwood
Track Day

Joined the Lone Star Region (Houston) 36 years ago. Very active the first 10 years ... then kids kept me busy, but was always able to maintain my Porsche ownership and keep my membership active. "Trying" to reactivate myself aka finish my project long hood. Made many friends over the years, as they say ...it's about the people.

Quick Reply: Are you a PCA member?