Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still diagnosing it. Can't find what is causing the drain/lack of charge - but say the battery looks OK.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Just get a new battery.
I replaced two exactly one year ago on the kids cars.
After 9 months, each failed/ discharged when not started for one week.
Driving charged them fine, and at that point they did all the right things on the meter.
Same crapaola about how something in the car was causing the problem.
I pointed out that the cars never had a problem with the original battery...
New battery, end of problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
While I would generally agree one can invoke "caveat emptor" in the context of a used car purchase (and nevermind the implied warranty - that's a separate issue), I fail to see the logic in the approach to a CPO purchase. This car has gone through a 7,136 point inspection and is sold at a substantial premium to a non-CPO car (as it is a warranty).

Not about the battery, just in general do I speak. Sorry, just can't agree with you and I don't think the argument holds any water.

You don't test a new battery on a new car purchase under a similar warranty. Should I have asked him to test all the light bulbs too? What about the wiper blades? You get my point?
No I guess I don't. The battery is a wear item on the car. You can "break" it by leaving the lights on. Light bulbs are up to you, but I normally turn the lights on to check operation before I buy a car. (I turn on the A/C too.)

From your posts I don't hear...
"It's no big deal, I will swap out the bulb/battery myself"

That is where I think you lost most of the people here. If I were to guess I'd say that many here own this car for the "working on it" aspect.....Or they would be driving a hassle-free Lexus.

In any case, I hope it all works out.
-Lee
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by asu_lee
No I guess I don't. The battery is a wear item on the car. You can "break" it by leaving the lights on. Light bulbs are up to you, but I normally turn the lights on to check operation before I buy a car. (I turn on the A/C too.)

From your posts I don't hear...
"It's no big deal, I will swap out the bulb/battery myself"

That is where I think you lost most of the people here. If I were to guess I'd say that many here own this car for the "working on it" aspect.....Or they would be driving a hassle-free Lexus.

In any case, I hope it all works out.
-Lee
Its obvious to me this is getting nowhere, so good day to you sir. And thanks. Although I am giving serious consideration to scrapping the whole thing and moving to a Lexus.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Dude STFU and move on. If a Lexus makes your manhood feel at home then that's what you do.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Its obvious to me this is getting nowhere, so good day to you sir. And thanks. Although I am giving serious consideration to scrapping the whole thing and moving to a Lexus.
take it easy clever. don't do anything silly like go out a get a lexus. good grief. they can sort this out, and you can keep your dignity in tact by keeping the car.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Dude STFU and move on. If a Lexus makes your manhood feel at home then that's what you do.
Its obvious you are too wound up on urinated cheerios this morning to comprehend humor. No need to be so aggressive.

For the record, I am NOT buying a Lexus. Was just tongue-in-cheek - and a direct response to the post referenced, not to the thread in general.

Heard back from the dealer 10 mins ago. Turns out the battery is fine. There was a contact wire that had gone bad. Replaced the wire and voila, car runs again.

So, in summary:

* Glad I didn't buy a new battery
* Glad I towed it to the dealer
* No cost to me to fix the problem
* Some people need to chill out
* Not buying a Lexus
* Thanks to posters offering constructive feeback

Going to pick up a trickle charger in any event, just so I keep her fully charged at all times.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Its obvious you are too wound up on urinated cheerios this morning to comprehend humor. No need to be so aggressive.

For the record, I am NOT buying a Lexus. Was just tongue-in-cheek - and a direct response to the post referenced, not to the thread in general.

Heard back from the dealer 10 mins ago. Turns out the battery is fine. There was a contact wire that had gone bad. Replaced the wire and voila, car runs again.

So, in summary:

* Glad I didn't buy a new battery
* Glad I towed it to the dealer
* No cost to me to fix the problem
* Some people need to chill out
* Not buying a Lexus
* Thanks to posters offering constructive feeback

Going to pick up a trickle charger in any event, just so I keep her fully charged at all times.
Couple of other observations:

1. Be mindful about following advice by the board's resident bullies. In this case they told you to spend $100 you didn't have to spend which also would have left the original problem unresolved.

2. This forum works the same as any other place where groups get together.....schools, ballgames, taverns. The biggest bullies gather the largest followings.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Glad it all worked out fine. Now see, you got all worked up about the "failed" battery for no reason, and trashed the dealer's CPO due diligence in the process. Parts go bad; it happens. The dealer corrected the problem, so no big deal.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ucube
Glad it all worked out fine. Now see, you got all worked up about the "failed" battery for no reason, and trashed the dealer's CPO due diligence in the process. Parts go bad; it happens. The dealer corrected the problem, so no big deal.
Exactly why this thread was a sham...

OP went off on something that could of been dealt with more efficiently from the beginning. oh well it's the internet.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

The OP did the right thing, but for the wrong reason, IMHO. 95% of the time we hear this, it's a dead battery, and not something you should be calling a flatbed for. The first thing you do when the hood's opened is is put a voltmeter on the battery to see if the battery or the alternator is the problem, and it would have, in this case, shown the battery and alternator were good and pointed to a bad connection, switch or relay somewhere. Which is usually just dirty battery terminals (quick and cheap DIY fix). A flatbed would be the LAST option, not the first.

I dunno about you all, but I hate sending my cars to the shop, as I quickly get separation anxiety...

I'm glad it all worked out, though!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Couple of other observations:

1. Be mindful about following advice by the board's resident bullies. In this case they told you to spend $100 you didn't have to spend which also would have left the original problem unresolved.

2. This forum works the same as any other place where groups get together.....schools, ballgames, taverns. The biggest bullies gather the largest followings.

I mean this in the kindest possible way.....

Here is why you have lost your mind.

1. Thread starts - battery dead
2. We learn the battery warranty date is expired from OP.
2a. We now know the battery is at least 3 years old-(possibly 5). OEM battery?
3. OP grouses about what a ****ty CPO he had.
4. More grousing. We learn 37k mi - Porsche covers 10k/year on batteries
4a. We know car age is 3-5yo. If 3 bat is covered...if more it is not.
4b. If hot or cold climate - Batt is probably shot.
5. Members call out the grousing and the battery age.
6. We learn battery is in fact fine. Bad wire. CPO fixed it.
7. We learn OP did not check charge with meter before tow.
8. Sandwedge calls out group as a bunch of bullies.
9. MY GOD!! THERE STILL COULD BE AN OLD BATTERY IN THAT THERE P-CAR!!!

Somewhere between 6-7 is where it happened.

In any case I'm glad it worked out.
-Lee
Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The OP did the right thing, but for the wrong reason, IMHO. 95% of the time we hear this, it's a dead battery, and not something you should be calling a flatbed for. The first thing you do when the hood's opened is is put a voltmeter on the battery to see if the battery or the alternator is the problem, and it would have, in this case, shown the battery and alternator were good and pointed to a bad connection, switch or relay somewhere. Which is usually just dirty battery terminals (quick and cheap DIY fix). A flatbed would be the LAST option, not the first.

I dunno about you all, but I hate sending my cars to the shop, as I quickly get separation anxiety...

AMEN BROTHER!
-Lee
Old 09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjfehr

BOOYAH! Now that's what i call being a smart car owner.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even after all this I'd still go out and buy a new battery (seriously).

Quick Reply: Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?