Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is no CPO program covers batteries and batteries don't have an expiration date stamped on them. The OP got beat up a bit more than he should have but to assume either of these is silly. CPO or no, you buy a car with an original battery that's 4 or more years old and you should replace it. There are so many "have a dead battery, i'm stuck, what to do?" posts so this is cheap insurance.

Last edited by bradyb; 08-29-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

I got a new battery under warranty. No questions asked. Car was three years old at the time with 18,000 miles.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Finally, I think the board was a little too harsh on this thread....
I agree. Whether the OP should have expected the battery to be a CPO covered item or not, he got hammered more than he deserved. I've seen much worse stuff get by with fewer personal comments. There were some good suggestions about how to prolong battery life or prevent failure; IMO it should have been left at that.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
What I've learned from this thread/forum:

1) You are not allowed to complain about anything that costs less than $500; it's just part and parcel of owning an expensive sportscar
2) There is a threshold under which all P-car drivers assume the value of the dollar and principal does not apply (somehwere above a battery and below RMS)
3) Any complaint under such threshold constitutes "whining"
4) Reading compreshension is a challenge for many, and errant assumptions abound
5) Personal attacks (see #4) are acceptable

That about sum it up? Guess I should have purchased a Nissan and/or picked a different forum - one that is less P-car advocate and more P-car owner friendly

For the record, never meant to ruffle feathers...was meant more as a tongue-in-cheek response to something i felt was not an unreasonable expectation.

No problem, i can take my questions/comments elsewhere. Was never needing validation in any event.

Good grief.
I agree with you. Don't know what got into everyone here today. But I've seen this before. Someone starts tearing into a poster and the rest just pile on. And FWIW......I don't think you're completely off base. They charge $2K for CPO which one would think ought to include some kind of assurance that the car will start for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I think its a combination of new member, snarky attitude in post #1 of thread (you later claim you were joking, but I couldn't tell until you told me), and typical forum shark frenzy (one guy responds with some attitude and everyone piles on). I think both sides could step back and admit they went a little overboard, but ultimately its an internet forum and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow. This post is priceless! I thought first it's a complaint about a New 997 car that had battery issues!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many times you will find that the only posts that are totally civil are, "why don't P-car drivers wave back anymore..........."???
To which, 9 times out of 10, someone will say "I wave to all pre-996 only...."

If nothing else the forum may've helped drive someone away from the community, along with any nominal fees that they could've collected from a membership.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

All,

I was largely posting in jest. Sorry if i gave the impression that i an sir-whines-alot. I really am a pretty even keeled guy. Just taking a few liberties in the sense of having a little fun. Some good advice came out of the thread, so it seems to stand as a worthwhile post. In any event, no hard feelings and I truly appreciate the constructive and objective feedback. I'll find out tomorrow the real issue. Hopefully nothing material. To those that responded snarkily, I have a thicker skin than most - so no hard feelings. To those that offered constructive feedback, much appreciated. I love my car very very much, so it sucks that I lost a weekend of driving it. That said, I'm confident that I'll be back up and running soon.

All my love,

CUN
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds good to me.

Get your car running and enjoy in good health!

You definitely passed the thick skin test with some of the responses seen here.

Love you man.

Phil
Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
All,

I was largely posting in jest. Sorry if i gave the impression that i an sir-whines-alot. I really am a pretty even keeled guy. Just taking a few liberties in the sense of having a little fun. Some good advice came out of the thread, so it seems to stand as a worthwhile post. In any event, no hard feelings and I truly appreciate the constructive and objective feedback. I'll find out tomorrow the real issue. Hopefully nothing material. To those that responded snarkily, I have a thicker skin than most - so no hard feelings. To those that offered constructive feedback, much appreciated. I love my car very very much, so it sucks that I lost a weekend of driving it. That said, I'm confident that I'll be back up and running soon.

All my love,

CUN
Welcome to these forums!

I haven't read all the posts so not sure what sort of reaction you got. I think the issue was the tone of the post, as opposed to the actual issue on hand. I am also relatively new to Porsche, but I've learned how to communicate effectively.

For instance, if you asked "Is battery covered under CPO? and is dealer responsible to replace a battery under CPO", you would have got a completely different response. Just my 0.02 cents.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Late to the party, but I'm with the OP 100%. When I buy a CPO car (2 Porsches of the 4) I expect that everything is going to be "up to par" and that means the battery too. Even if it's not specifically indicated on the CPO checklist, I think there's a certain reasonable expectation that when you buy a CPO car it's ready to go for a while and cost me things like a flat-bed to the dealer and a new battery so soon after purchase. Much of why I feel this way is the extensive and detailed way Porsche markets its CPO program. Just read the literature and you feel confident that the car has been 100% checked over and that you will have 2 additional years of relatively trouble free driving else Porsche will repair. Naturally, normal wear items are expected. If the CPO report says you have 5mm of tire left and 4mm is the replacement threshold, then you have an expectation that "soon" you'll have to replace the tires and it depends on how you drive the car. Brake pads are similar - you can measure them. But something like a battery (or radio, power windows, etc.) you expect are going to work for a while.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and chalk this one up to the moon phase or whatever...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

This is a bizarre thread. As an Engineer I understand that things fail. Everyday something fails. That is the way of the world. If you have expectations of everything working all the time (on the first try) you are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. Yes, batteries fail. They could be fine monday and tuesday..dead.

I think the entitlement on this thread is a bit off. "I am entitled to a working battery in my car." If this was important to you, there should have been a battery charge tester at your contract signing. So no, you are not entitled to a working battery if you never checked. Caveat emptor.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ask this question (again, this was sold as basically an "as new" Certified car): What's would you say is a reasonable timeframe for the battery to fail after you bought the car (new or CPO)? Is it 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days, or 6 hours? Let's say you brought your new car home and the next morning the car wouldn't start because of a bad battery - chalk it up to "consumables"?

Maybe it's my dealership - they would replace the battery under CPO in a heart-beat (or original warranty if within say a couple of years). Obviously, if you have a car for 3-4 years and the battery needs replacement, not an issue.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by asu_lee
This is a bizarre thread. As an Engineer I understand that things fail. Everyday something fails. That is the way of the world. If you have expectations of everything working all the time (on the first try) you are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. Yes, batteries fail. They could be fine monday and tuesday..dead.

I think the entitlement on this thread is a bit off. "I am entitled to a working battery in my car." If this was important to you, there should have been a battery charge tester at your contract signing. So no, you are not entitled to a working battery if you never checked. Caveat emptor.
While I would generally agree one can invoke "caveat emptor" in the context of a used car purchase (and nevermind the implied warranty - that's a separate issue), I fail to see the logic in the approach to a CPO purchase. This car has gone through a 7,136 point inspection and is sold at a substantial premium to a non-CPO car (as it is a warranty).

Not about the battery, just in general do I speak. Sorry, just can't agree with you and I don't think the argument holds any water.

You don't test a new battery on a new car purchase under a similar warranty. Should I have asked him to test all the light bulbs too? What about the wiper blades? You get my point?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clever_User_Name - what happened with your battery? Did the dealership replace at no-charge?

Quick Reply: Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?