Sponsored by:

Critique my build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 12:31 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by gravedgr
That's a little too much for me.
Yeah. That's something, huh? It proves what we already know: just because it's offered as an option doesn't mean it looks good.
Old 08-24-2010 | 01:21 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
what confuses me personally in such posts is how to make any suggestions at all if there is no info of what car is intended for? if it is a street only car - powered seats, vented seats and all luxury options are must, if it is a track car - then you do not need anything at all but sport-centered options you may preserve while throwing out all the rest, etc.
This will be a street car, DD, and occasional track toy. #1 priority is that it has to support my two kids in child seats, other than that its just personal preference.
Old 08-24-2010 | 05:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911dev
Sport Seats should stay. They are far more supportive than the standard seats, hence standard in a GT3.

Keep PSE and Short Shifter.

Sports stuff, all nice and good for a track car doing higher speed cornering while needing to steer precisely. But I've never hard anyone with sports seats and sports shifting and sports suspension say how wonderfully comfortable their 4 hour drive across the region was. Unless you are a small person, sitting in sports seats will become uncomfortable after a length of driving. Just something to consider.

I'd think that NAV adds more value down the road than BOSE which still cannot overcome the acoustic challenge of a 911 interior but takes away space for a big subwoofer and costs a bunch. But then, if you are into sports exhaust, having a BOSE emblem on the doors is probably also of interest to you.

I'd add that if you live in an area of cold winters and you plan on actually driving your car (which you should), and thus heated seats are in the picture, don't forget heated steering wheel, if its available. Those frozen cold wheels REALLY HURT when you climb in the car at 7pm and its been sitting in 20's all day long. Ouch. I'm going to upgrade my wheel if and when Porsche comes out with a heated sports wheel thats thick enough and similar to styling to the 09 sports wheels... till then its driving gloves.
Old 08-24-2010 | 05:20 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Minok
Sports stuff, all nice and good for a track car doing higher speed cornering while needing to steer precisely. But I've never hard anyone with sports seats and sports shifting and sports suspension say how wonderfully comfortable their 4 hour drive across the region was. Unless you are a small person, sitting in sports seats will become uncomfortable after a length of driving. Just something to consider.

I'd think that NAV adds more value down the road than BOSE which still cannot overcome the acoustic challenge of a 911 interior but takes away space for a big subwoofer and costs a bunch. But then, if you are into sports exhaust, having a BOSE emblem on the doors is probably also of interest to you.
Well... it IS a sports car not a frilly SUV. I feel that the Sport Seats are more comfortable as well as more supportive than the standard seats. A.S.S. are the most comfortable. My manual gt3 sports seats are more comfortable than the power standard seats on my previous 911S. Niether nav nor Bose will return much so it's basically a moot point. Bose will likely return a better percentage but it's very close. The OP should just get what he wants.

"All good for the track" as you say. The car I described is a street car. You don't need to go to the track to enjoy a sports equipped 911.

I don't really understand your BOSE emblem comment. I don't particularly like BOSE however the OEM upgrade is far better than what comes standard. So, you have a hard time overcoming the accoustic challenge of the 911's interior... are you kidding me! And it takes away space because of the subwoofer... Ha!

BTW, PSE sounds great.

Maybe you need a nice big 911 that is accoustically correct, with a lots of space, is comfy, quiet and doesn't have one of those annoying short throw shifter thingys. Don't they make a Toyota Forerunner for that.

Last edited by 911dev; 08-25-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2010 | 06:37 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tincanman99
XCZ Sport Shifter - throws are short already. I shifted one and it makes it very stiff. In traffic it might be a hassle.
Gotta weigh in here on all the complaints about the short shifter. I have the B&M system which shortens the throw by almost 40%. Big cut and it feels big too. Rifle bolt precise and smooth too so I really don't get all the bitching about it. I've heard that some installers don't get the linkage right which does mess it up but that can be adjusted. First mod I'll do on my next 911. Should be standard from the factory imo.
Old 08-24-2010 | 06:48 PM
911dev
Drifting

^ Ditto. Had it on my previous turbo and then some on the new gt3. I love it! Rifle bolt precise is exactly it.
Old 08-24-2010 | 07:08 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Minok
Originally Posted by 911dev
Well... it IS a sports car not a frilly SUV. I feel that the Sport Seats are more comfortable as well as more supportive than the standard seats. A.S.S. are the most comfortable. My manual gt3 sports seats are more comfortable than the power standard seats on my previous 911S.
No need to get snippy - we all have our likes and dislikes - but I agree with 911dev about the seats. I had the manual sport seats in my 997.1 and standard power seats in my 996 and the sport seats were the most comfortable I've ever been in, and I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs. Of course, the sport seats in my C63 are even more narrow and more heavily bolstered than the 911 sport seats and I love them too.

I would get the sport buckets if they had/would support hardware for a child car seat.
Old 08-24-2010 | 07:10 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Gotta weigh in here on all the complaints about the short shifter. I have the B&M system which shortens the throw by almost 40%. Big cut and it feels big too. Rifle bolt precise and smooth too so I really don't get all the bitching about it. I've heard that some installers don't get the linkage right which does mess it up but that can be adjusted. First mod I'll do on my next 911. Should be standard from the factory imo.
I had the B&M in my 997.1 and while I was going to order the factory SSK, I'm re-thinking my decision. Vivid has the B&M kit for a little over $250 now, leaving $500 for installation before I break even with the factory kit.
Old 08-24-2010 | 07:30 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I had the B&M in my 997.1 and while I was going to order the factory SSK, I'm re-thinking my decision. Vivid has the B&M kit for a little over $250 now, leaving $500 for installation before I break even with the factory kit.
B&M makes the OEM kit too so I can't figure out why $750 from the factory would be the preferred route.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Por...Z1dd!730018658

Buy it from Eric at bumperplugs.com for $199 (site sponsor), put it in yourself and you've saved $550. Have the dealership do it and you're still ahead $350.
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
Old 08-24-2010 | 09:27 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Buy it from Eric at bumperplugs.com for $199 (site sponsor), put it in yourself and you've saved $550.
Good call - I think I will do this.
Old 08-25-2010 | 01:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Based on feedback from you folks and many helpful pictures, I have revised my build:

[see post #60]

The only missing item is the short shifter which I'll get from bumperplugs and install myself or have a local tuner install (I'll know once I see the instructions ). The wheels will be sold back to the dealer and aftermarket purchased (still working on options there). Thoughts?

Last edited by gravedgr; 08-26-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2010 | 11:07 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

I saw a red S with painted seat backs and I have not quit thinking about it. I think the painted seatbacks are unique and distinctive, more so than the center console. My car has both, and either is a cool option. But the seat backs get me every time.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2010 | 12:21 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I saw a red S with painted seat backs and I have not quit thinking about it. I think the painted seatbacks are unique and distinctive, more so than the center console. My car has both, and either is a cool option. But the seat backs get me every time.
I do like the seat backs, but my kids scuff up my basic black plastic seat backs now, so paint is out of the question or I'd have to repaint it every few months.
Old 08-26-2010 | 03:49 PM
aircooled0801
Instructor

Good call with the red seatbelts! Hopefully my dissertation yesterday in the other forum helped push you past the sticking point. Can't wait to see the new ride!!!
Old 08-26-2010 | 08:46 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Went in today and put down my deposit on a Dec. 2 build. Final buildout:

G1 Guards Red
AP Black Sport Seats
419 19" Carrera S II Wheel
911 911 Model Designation
P77 Sport Seats
342 Heated Seats
176 Sports Exhaust System
P36 Infotainment pkg
CDH Painted door finishers
XSX Seat belts in red
CDJ Painted shifter trim
XDM Painted trim strip

I decided at the last minute to swap the stitched seats for the Nav and that meant the Infotainment pkg was just $150 more to get the BOSE so I felt it would be stupid not to do so. I'll order the shifter and install myself, and wheels will be here before the car for a quick swap.

Quick Reply: Critique my build