Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Critique my build

Thoughts?

2011 Carrera S

[see post #60]

Last edited by gravedgr; 08-26-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like it will be a special car. Any criticism is due to differences in personal taste. Having owned a 997 before, you know what you want.

Personally? I like the full leather treatment because it makes for a richer driving environment. I might tire of the red interior trim and belts, but they would be striking. Get the multifunction steering wheel. Are you getting the iPod connection and Bluetooth or don't you need those features?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do PSE and sport shifter again. PSE weighs more than stock, and weighs a lot more than decent aftermarket exhausts that might yield a small hp increase (weight loss at the back is a good thing!). The sport shifter is a royal PITA for 1st gear for the first 8-10 shifts into first. There were times when my wife had trouble getting it into 1st at all and was nearly rear-ended. Solution is to put it into 2nd and then straight up to 1st, but still... shouldn't have to do that. The stock shifter isn't excessively long to start with, so there's little doubt I would just do stock shifter on my next order.

Bose isn't a wonderful upgrade, but a lot of folks say the non-upgraded stereo system is really sub-par.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

I like your option list, including PSE, which despite being a bit heavier has a great exhaust note that isn't overbearing and which can be switched off when necessary. You obviously listen to music (sat radio) so I'd add Bose and the Universal Audio Interface unless you're planning an aftermarket system which can be pretty pricy for these cars. Full leather is a cost effective and classy upgrade. Finally, consider Sport PASM which lowers the car slightly and gives you options if you ever track or autoX the car (it includes limited slip too).

On the other side, I'd delete the short shifter; the regular shift is plenty quick and will be easier to live with in daily driving. Good luck with your choices!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Nix the deviated stitching and the red belts and RCConsole. IMO? It's too much extra 'flair' and for what? Everybody who gets in the car will ask and you'll have to explain.
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Nix the deviated stitching and the red belts and RCConsole. IMO? It's too much extra 'flair' and for what?
I like the interior with the deviating stitching the top photo. It would be a nice match with a red exterior. Got to admit, though, that the red console and belts might be carrying things too far, after seeing the bottom pics. Still, it's a matter of personal taste and I've seen worse combinations.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Still, it's a matter of personal taste and I've seen worse combinations.
Definitely have fun with it, no problem there. But do some "soul searching" before making a commitment to being too different. After all it's a Carrera, kind of a serious car; not like a fun Boxster, or outrageous Lambo, or crotch-rocket-ish Lotus Elise.

Would drive me nuts to have EVERY person who sees the car immediately ask me about some obvious frill I added. Better to have subtle but equally meaningless frills. IMHO
Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docfink
Get the multifunction steering wheel. Are you getting the iPod connection and Bluetooth or don't you need those features?
I don't like the multi-function wheel (too busy) and find it unnecessary compared to the stalk + touch screen. iPod and BT are standard on the S.

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I wouldn't do PSE and sport shifter again. PSE weighs more than stock, and weighs a lot more than decent aftermarket exhausts that might yield a small hp increase (weight loss at the back is a good thing!). The sport shifter is a royal PITA for 1st gear for the first 8-10 shifts into first. There were times when my wife had trouble getting it into 1st at all and was nearly rear-ended. Solution is to put it into 2nd and then straight up to 1st, but still... shouldn't have to do that. The stock shifter isn't excessively long to start with, so there's little doubt I would just do stock shifter on my next order.

Bose isn't a wonderful upgrade, but a lot of folks say the non-upgraded stereo system is really sub-par.
I had both the PSE and SSK (installed after delivery by an independent shop) on my last 997.1 C2S and loved both. I realize aftermarket exhausts are lighter, cheaper, and offer some minor power increases, but I'd rather have this under warranty as we plan to keep it a while and I trust the PSE to be livable while others I can see tiring of after a while.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You obviously listen to music (sat radio) so I'd add Bose and the Universal Audio Interface unless you're planning an aftermarket system which can be pretty pricy for these cars. Full leather is a cost effective and classy upgrade. Finally, consider Sport PASM which lowers the car slightly and gives you options if you ever track or autoX the car (it includes limited slip too).

On the other side, I'd delete the short shifter; the regular shift is plenty quick and will be easier to live with in daily driving.
I actually listen to the news, 80's, and podcasts so you were close. I had BOSE in the '07 and regretted it as the biggest $ waste - I was completely unimpressed. I wasn't going to get it then either, but the dealer talked me into it - I now stick to my original assessment: "No highs, No lows, must be Bose". Universal Audio Interface is standard. I was looking at the GT3, but I had issues getting into/out of the driveway with the '07 C2S so I don't want to risk lots of scrapes with the lower PASM. I won't track it enough to need that or the LSD for a number of years, at which time I'll look at the GT3 again. See above for shifter.

Would drive me nuts to have EVERY person who sees the car immediately ask me about some obvious frill I added. Better to have subtle but equally meaningless frills.
My '07 had yellow RCC, dials, and belts. I don't like the red dials so I deleted them and replaced them with stitching and the trim strip. It has been hard trying to visualize it in my head, and with your pictures I'm starting to have some second thoughts. Thank you for the pictures and if you have any others, I would love them! Someone had orange and had some tasteful pieces on the interior so I may re-think my ideas and steal some of their ideas.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I appreciate it, even for things I have already thought through since building in a vacuum is tough and I keep thinking to myself, "What have I forgot?".
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug I think you have a nice build... I was just trying to be critical since you asked us to
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Thanks everyone for the feedback - I appreciate it, even for things I have already thought through since building in a vacuum is tough and I keep thinking to myself, "What have I forgot?".
Doug I think you have a nice build... I was just trying to be critical since you asked us to
I know, and I appreciate it! I thought it would be easier to respond to multiple comments at once - I didn't meant for it to sound like I was unappreciative or was dismissing your feedback. It is all valuable. Sanity checking is a good thing.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:30 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

+1 for SPASM and have you given red dial gauges a thought...to go with your seat belts, stitching and brake calipers. Also if cost isn't prohibitive I would add adaptive sports seat but you should try one out as IMO it may be uncomfortable for people with a large frame.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:31 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Someone had orange and had some tasteful pieces on the interior so I may re-think my ideas and steal some of their ideas.
I found it - it was Coochas' orange Turbo. I think his interior is very classy with nice splashes of color so I may compare that to what I was thinking and add/delete some items from my build.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Deviated stitching is tricky--and can be messed up. For example, in the large interior photo of the black leather with red stitching they forgot to stitch the leather seams around the shift ****--looks like a mistake. The console in red may be just too much over time. Leather fares better.

+ for multifunction wheel, if you mess with volume and things all the time like I do.

Definitely consult with Dave Coochas!!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Yeah me too.

Gotta hash this out. Better to have challenging ideas rather than reassuring ideas during the decision period.

When the car is delivered or it's way too late to change, we'll shift into the humoring and reassuring "You done good," BSing mode.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:18 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Deviated stitching is tricky--and can be messed up. For example, in the large interior photo of the black leather with red stitching they forgot to stitch the leather seams around the shift ****--looks like a mistake. The console in red may be just too much over time. Leather fares better.

Definitely consult with Dave Coochas!!
I agree that the console may be too much in red. I loved it in yellow, but I'm not sure about the red - it may need a lighter touch. I'll definitely think about the stitching - its the biggest expense for the least visual impact, IMHO. I just thought it would be neat to have - I only added it at the last minute and I'm not married to it.

I will definitely chat with Dave.

Gotta hash this out. Better to have challenging ideas rather than reassuring ideas during the decision period.

When the car is delivered or it's way too late to change, we'll shift into the humoring and reassuring "You done good," BSing mode.
Haha, indeed. This is my second time going through this, but it never gets easy.

Quick Reply: Critique my build