Pirelli Pzero

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
ross74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli Pzero

Re the previous posts on tyres,
just wanted to post my satisfaction on the PZeros from Pirelli (not Rosso).
I now have 5,000 miles on them and I find them the best street tyre I have ever experienced. Previously I had PS2s and before that Bridgestones.

The PZeros offer exceptional grip and although their ride is slightly harsher than the PS2s there is a very controlled feeling in the way they absorb irreguralities.

They sharpen the whole car too, steering included.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
s329
Racer

These are the next tires that are going on my 08 C2S.

Where these stock tires for you? I noticed some people taking delivery of 2010 models that came with the new N2 rated P zeros. lucky!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM
ross74
Instructor

No, I installed them after my PS2s were done but I know some of the 2010 production comes with PZeros as OEM now..
Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

How is the wear?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the report, I am most likely going to consider these as my next tires as PS3 doesn;t sound like an improvement!

Can you tell me how exactly are the different than PS2 in the following areas?

- Dry handling
- Wet Handling
- Braking
- Tracking (if you tracked them)
- wear (after 5K)

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks for the report, I am most likely going to consider these as my next tires as PS3 doesn;t sound like an improvement!

Can you tell me how exactly are the different than PS2 in the following areas?

- Dry handling
- Wet Handling
- Braking
- Tracking (if you tracked them)
- wear (after 5K)

Thanks
He did in his 1st post. I am hearing the Zero's are a better all around tire than the PS2's.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
He did in his 1st post. I am hearing the Zero's are a better all around tire than the PS2's.
Yeah, he said overall better, but I am very much interested in knowing exactly how it does in (1) Wet and (2) tracking vs. PS2. I've found PS2 wet traction to be lacking a bit, so wanted to know if PZero is any better.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM
limbo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My MY10 car was fitted with PZeros as OEM.

MB
Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mike, According to autobild they are here is the link in german.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/reife...d=6&now=68#mmg
and a translation is here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
I am surprized of this result but I cannot comment as I havent really tested the ps2 in 19".
Here is one more test from sport auto that is more dry oriented and here the ps2 does way better vs the pirreli.http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

John
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
ross74
Instructor

Overall they are much better IMO than the PS2s at least for street use.
Also my Michelin dealer tells me the PS3s are developed more as an all rounder for less powerful cars and are not as good as the PS2s in terms of handling.
He also tells me Michelin will be launching a Pilot SuperSport in the near future to compete in the high end segment.

so to answer your question, PZeros compared to PS2s

- Dry handling (they are much better, lose grip later and more progressively, they inspire more confidence and are more precise with less lateral movement and better steering)
- Wet Handling (better although the PS2s were also good IMO)
- Braking (much better)
- Tracking (if you tracked them - I haven't)
- wear (after 5K - similar to the PS2s that is with my kind of driving lifespan is max 10k, I think the compound is somewhat softer than the PS2s although the sidewalls are harder)

The only areas the Michelins are better are

- comfort but only by a slight margin
- also the PZeros tend to transmit more of the road through the steering. That for me is a good thing but in terms of pure comfort it can be negative for someone. The highways where I live are far from perfect and sometimes you can feel vibration. A small price to pay IMO
Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ross74
Also my Michelin dealer tells me the PS3s are developed more as an all rounder for less powerful cars and are not as good as the PS2s in terms of handling.
He also tells me Michelin will be launching a Pilot SuperSport in the near future to compete in the high end segment.

- Dry handling (they are much better, lose grip later and more progressively, they inspire more confidence and are more precise with less lateral movement and better steering)
- Braking (much better)
- wear (after 5K - similar to the PS2s that is with my kind of driving lifespan is max 10k, I think the compound is somewhat softer than the PS2s although the sidewalls are harder)

- also the PZeros tend to transmit more of the road through the steering. That for me is a good thing but in terms of pure comfort it can be negative for someone. The highways where I live are far from perfect and sometimes you can feel vibration. A small price to pay IMO
Great, thanks for the details. I've tried Pzero's on R8 tracking the Cataluna circuit and they were amazing on the track, although they were Audi-OEM spec (R-rated).

I am pretty sure that'd be my next tire, PS2 is still a good tire, but it really doesn't offer an advantage today for the premium they charge you (maybe it did 5 years ago). PS3 is more for *green* purposes and sounds more like GT than sports car. Super Pilot Sport would probably the one to truly replace PS2... although with Pirelli entering F1, who knows what the Italians would bring to the table!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Whoever is considering 4 new tires I recommend Bridgestone RE050A N1. Emphasis on N1. The N1 is radically better than the N0. Many say better than the PS2.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ross74

- Braking (much better)

Btw michelin supersport is here already oem fittment in 599 GTO.

John
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

These are all interesting comments. I have P zero rossos on my 2008C2S ( OEM). I am not able to comment with any personal copmparisons but they can be noisy and seem harsh at times but this is my first car with 19" rims. They really do grip though. I have only 4500 miles on the car and they seem to wear OK but it is still too early to really tell.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fahrer
These are all interesting comments. I have P zero rossos on my 2008C2S ( OEM). I am not able to comment with any personal copmparisons but they can be noisy and seem harsh at times but this is my first car with 19" rims. They really do grip though. I have only 4500 miles on the car and they seem to wear OK but it is still too early to really tell.
Fahrer rossos are completely different than the newer zeros under discussion here.

John

Quick Reply: Pirelli Pzero