Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are Carerras Exotics?
yes
23.78%
no
76.22%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

IS A CARERRA AN "EXOTIC"

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Pres Clinton says-

Bill Clinton- "depends on what the meaning of 'is' is". Exotic to you and me is not exotic to my patients or country folk or Beverly Hills people. Depends on who you run with. I've never thought Porsches were exotic (except maybe the Carrera GT) which is a big part of the appeal. You can drive it work or Wallmart and not get too much grief or attention, ie, the perfect car. But to some folks, it might as well be a Veyron. To me and most of us on this forum, it's not even close to exotic. Which really is to our benefit- we can drive a specialized, customized, performance car and not get too much s*it about it. We have an exotic cat but that's a whole other topic-
Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
lol. No problem. Just pick another no-big-deal example. Name anything that's arcane, obscure or banal and there will be some people somewhere who care about it.
And to reiterate, this is not a thread about cares or concerns, just thrown out there to see what is the consensus and thoughts here.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
And to reiterate, this is not a thread about cares or concerns, just thrown out there to see what is the consensus and thoughts here.
Absolutely! That's why the question, "Who Cares?" is off the mark. OTOH, If this were a forum on sewing machine technique, the question about whether a C2 was a [whatever] would rightly be countered with that question. Uh oh! I fear we're making a mountain out of a mole hill on this issue. If so I offer my apologies.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
+1.

I don't think a car with strange, sharp body angles and lines is the only consideration for "exotic". My whole point is that, before many of these others came into the picture, Porsche certainly was considered an exotic. Absolutely and undeniably.

In my mind, nothing has changed in that regard.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Another way of looking at it.

Go to your average parking lot _NOT_ in SoCal. You know, the local shopping mall or Home Depot.

Guess what? If you see a 997 Porsche parked there? Not only is it a dream come true for 90% of guys of all ages who walk past it but it also totally qualifies as an exotic car.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Go to your average parking lot _NOT_ in SoCal. You know, the local shopping mall or Home Depot.

Guess what? If you see a 997 Porsche parked there? Not only is it a dream come true for 90% of guys of all ages who walk past it but it also totally qualifies as an exotic car.

I've never thought of a 997 as exotic, and you should probably also exclude average parking lots in other places too. Porsches are pretty common in Dallas--there's 3 Porsche dealers in the DFW metroplex.

I think limited availability must factor into the equation. I can go to my favorite Porsche dealer tomorrow and buy a brand new 997 for less than MSRP if I wanted. I could not walk into the Ferrari dealerhship (under same dealership ownership as the Porsche dealer I've bought 6 from) and buy a brand new Ferrari tomorrow at MSRP and probably not at any price--I could buy a used one at a premium over original sticker.

I agree with the others--a Carrera GT is probably an exception and was and still is an exotic sportscar.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I did pile several bags of soil on the folded rear seats of my 997 cabrio in a Home Depot parking lot several weeks ago (with a plastic tarp underneath).

I got a lot of strange looks.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: IS A CARERRA AN "EXOTIC"