Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are Carerras Exotics?
yes
23.78%
no
76.22%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

IS A CARERRA AN "EXOTIC"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010 | 07:54 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Yeah, but the only problem with that thinking is then you're simply into the issue that the general public doesn't know what "exotic" means in respect to cars. They'll say "look at that exotic car," just like they'll say "yum, that flower smells exotic." They're simply using the word "exotic" and its literal definition, but not in the automotive language sense.

They might think it's some super expensive sports car that will do 200 mph only because they don't know cars, period. "Gee, that thing looks exotic." They know it's a sports car by its shape and maybe have seen one in the movies or something. But that's as far as they can go with it.

In addition, it depends on where one lives as to how the general public reacts to seeing a Porsche (that is, if they even notice in the first place.) Porsches are all over the place in SoCal.
I agree with you. But OTOH, I feel one's definition of an exotic car is subjective and relative. It's not that the general public doesn't know what an exotic car is, rather if the general perception is that a Porsche 911 is an exotic, then that perception becomes the reality for that set of the populuation. It's subjective, I don't feel there needs to be a right or wrong answer.
Old 07-24-2010 | 08:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The OP asked: Is a 911 Carrera an 'exotic'?

Who cares ?!?? I, for one, own the car for its driving characteristics and care less for its image or what others think.
Old 07-24-2010 | 08:27 PM
nick49
Drifting

I think of 'Exotics" as cars that are produced in very limited quantities, by small companies and for the most part hand assembled. The production numbers are so small, that reliability can be an issue, parts difficult to source, and extremely expensively to service and repair. I also consider very limited and very expensive models produced by large companies to be exotic, like the Carrera GT and a Lexus model.

I consider the Lotus an exotic, even though the price point is below that of many Porsches. I suppose the term has different meanings to different people.
Old 07-24-2010 | 08:57 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
Never. Here's why:
Here's my 997s next to my poor man's porsche. I will say that bug was fun. I had about 130 hp in it with disc brakes and a modifies suspension. It truly was a gokart on meth.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:17 PM
winkingchef
Pro

I think it depends on perspective.
In my hometown, anything with a BMW roundel is "exotic".
A 2 year old Chevy Cavalier is "a nice car."

For me, the line between "sportscar" and "exotic" goes right between the Audi R8 V10 and the Lamborghini Gallardo. "Above" the 911 are Aston Martin Vantage and DB9, Audi R8, and BMW M5 (none of which I consider "exotic").
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:28 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by winkingchef
I think it depends on perspective.
In my hometown, anything with a BMW roundel is "exotic".
A 2 year old Chevy Cavalier is "a nice car."

For me, the line between "sportscar" and "exotic" goes right between the Audi R8 V10 and the Lamborghini Gallardo. "Above" the 911 are Aston Martin Vantage and DB9, Audi R8, and BMW M5 (none of which I consider "exotic").
Agree on all points except the M5. It's a great car, but in the grand automotive scheme of things it's positioned below the 911 (as is the entire BMW brand, as good as they can be they are still a volume player with a range that extends below Porsche at both the low and high end).
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

If with her yes very exotic if without not at all.
So I dont vote.

John
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:37 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Originally Posted by swajames
Agree on all points except the M5. It's a great car, but in the grand automotive scheme of things it's positioned below the 911 (as is the entire BMW brand, as good as they can be they are still a volume player with a range that extends below Porsche at both the low and high end).
Debatable on the M5 - it is a very different car from a 911, but the sound...it's like a robot dragon roaring...so I have a soft spot for it.

I forgot the Alfa Romeo 8C as well.
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:41 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Debatable on the M5 - it is a very different car from a 911, but the sound...it's like a robot dragon roaring....

I forgot the Alfa Romeo 8C as well.
Oh, it's a tremendous car - no doubt about that. It's just the brand plus its basic 5 series lineage that stops it from taking a higher position on the hierarchy.

Good call on the 8c. I'd also add Maserati as another brand which is above Porsche in the grand scheme of things. For me, Maserati and Aston are the next steps above Porsche in terms of brand.
Old 07-24-2010 | 10:48 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

M5 is faaaaar from Exotic! Simply because the 5 series is a dime a dozen and no biggie that it's M modified. It's a great performer, but not an exotic at all.
The Carrera debate is a tough one and depends on the person. To most people I believe it is an exotic, one that every boy dreams of owning one day. Maybe that we have now achieved that dream, it's not as exotic to some any more.
Old 07-24-2010 | 11:16 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
M5 is faaaaar from Exotic! Simply because the 5 series is a dime a dozen and no biggie that it's M modified. It's a great performer, but not an exotic at all.
The Carrera debate is a tough one and depends on the person. To most people I believe it is an exotic, one that every boy dreams of owning one day. Maybe that we have now achieved that dream, it's not as exotic to some any more.
You're confusing "exotic" in its commonplace definition with "exotic" in respect to the automotive lexicon.
Old 07-24-2010 | 11:23 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
The OP asked: Is a 911 Carrera an 'exotic'?

Who cares ?!?? I, for one, own the car for its driving characteristics and care less for its image or what others think.
A 997 is not an exotic but I agree with ADias' comment above.... who cares?
Old 07-24-2010 | 11:38 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
A 997 is not an exotic but I agree with ADias' comment above.... who cares?
It's far from an "issue", just simple debatable conversation.
If one doesn't care, one shouldn't respond.
Old 07-24-2010 | 11:40 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Canyon56
You're confusing "exotic" in its commonplace definition with "exotic" in respect to the automotive lexicon.
That's the beauty of the thread, what does "Exotic" really mean? I believe, it's to each his own......

All interested should Google "exotic car" and see what comes up, quite interesting!
Old 07-25-2010 | 12:52 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

If you consider the Carrera exotic, then you have to consider the Boxster/Cayman exotic, too. They are basically the same car, except that the Boxster/Cayman has a more 'exotic' mid-engined layout and more 'exotic' two-seat configuration. Current top-level Boxsters/Caymans perform better than the non-S 997.1 in all aspects, so speed isn't an issue. And if sales volume is any gauge, compared to Carreras, far fewer new Boxsters/Caymans are sold annually.

Bottom line, the only modern Porsche that can truly be called exotic is the Carrera GT; it's rare everywhere on Earth, it makes exotic noises, it's made of exotic materials, is exotic to drive, it's exotic to maintain, and is attainable only by those with immense disposable income.

Somebody I know just sold his 996 to his gardner for $15k. The Carrera is a great car, but is just not an exotic car.

Quick Reply: IS A CARERRA AN "EXOTIC"