Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
You're right most people who buy a Porsche do not make 300 K a year.

I would venture to guess that most people on this forum
have no business (from a financial perspective) even buying one (as a new vehicle).

Many people who bought million dollar homes do not make 300 K a year either and now we see where that **** has gotten us.

All you've shown is that people live beyond their means.

Heck, why not get a new Porsche in the driveway of every new home?!
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i can`t believe this thread is still alive...
Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are rationalizing the cost between these 2 cars then you can't afford it or you should not get it.

I have a 997S that is now only a track car and I bought a golf tdi for the street, because I had no more joy driving it on the street only.

My TDI is the best DD I have had... and I love it.. but I dont have to decide between the 2 as I have both!

Im trying to rationalize a new RS... but like I said rationalizing it means I cant afford it quite yet
Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a decade ago when I bought my first SL I ran across demographic data on Edmunds. At the time the average yearly income of the owner of a (then) 85 K car was 250 K a year.

So one of two things have changed either these stats about income are false OR people are stretching a lot more these days in order to buy a car just like they have been to buy their house etc..

Several people here had had to part with their p-cars in this economic downturn. They allowed no room for error and stretched their budgets to the breaking point. Miss a couple of car payments and welcome to the repo man......
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
If you are rationalizing the cost between these 2 cars then you can't afford it or you should not get it....
Be careful. They will call you snob for expressing a basic finance rule of thumb.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Be careful. They will call you snob for expressing a basic finance rule of thumb.
Or maybe they might just point out that he may have missed the blindingly obvious point that the OP mentioned the Honda costs simply as a point of reference to aid in the subsequent comparison...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM
ClaylG
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Well, I do think it's a bit presumptuous to tell someone they can't afford a certain vehicle if they enquire as to the cost of maintenance. If one simply asks what a vehicle costs does that also mean they can't afford it?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I think the OP went off to better pastures. He probably figured the porcupine joke was for real after all.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I think the OP went off to better pastures. He probably figured the porcupine joke was for real after all.
Well if people don't want financial advice then they shouldn't ask for it.

Very simple...........
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Well if people don't want financial advice then they shouldn't ask for it.

Very simple...........
it is not as much of financial advice as of way of life. good old strategy was to save money, then buy stuff from your savings. this way it was naturally controlled what people can afford and cannot afford.
then all that was gradually substituted with 'affordable monthly payment' strategy when people behave like they are freaking millionaires and 'plan' their purchases and end up giving away entire paycheck (until they still have one) to cover their debt. real ownership was substituted with illusion of ownership when only real thing people own is their enormous debt and great possibility to go bankrupt as soon as their income pattern changes.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is not as much of financial advice as of way of life. good old strategy was to save money, then buy stuff from your savings. this way it was naturally controlled what people can afford and cannot afford.
then all that was gradually substituted with 'affordable monthly payment' strategy when people behave like they are freaking millionaires and 'plan' their purchases and end up giving away entire paycheck (until they still have one) to cover their debt. real ownership was substituted with illusion of ownership when only real thing people own is their enormous debt and great possibility to go bankrupt as soon as their income pattern changes.
True; and while I crtisize it I wonder if those of us who try to be fiscally responsibile are not really the ultimate chumps. Buy a house and cars you cannot reasonably afford and then when you're underwater just dump it and let the bank take the loss. It may be amoral but it is a business strategy. OTOH save money and live within your means and (soon) watch it all evaporate in an orgy of government money printing.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

True; and while I crtisize it I wonder if those of us who try to be fiscally responsibile are not really the ultimate chumps. Buy a house and cars you cannot reasonably afford and then when you're underwater just dump it and let the bank take the loss. It may be amoral but it is a business strategy. OTOH save money and live within your means and (soon) watch it all evaporate in an orgy of government money printing.
problem is that after that devilish strategy was properly implemented and people were hooked on a credit all the prices skyrocketed to reflect that possible maximum limit of how much folks can possibly shell out from each paycheck and not starve so you end up with situation like here in MA or in CA where horrible shacks cost almost a million bucks in good white neighborhoods where you can safely walk on a street after dark without a danger to be robbed and people who earn up to $200k annually per family end up using coupons to afford their groceries - my sister in law example - $900K house, 2 kids, sports lessons, tutors, etc.

it is a sad truth that no one purchases those expensive houses just because they are expensive - it is a result of politicians rigorous activities who insisted so much on moving human trash out of their usual habitats into normal respectful neighborhoods and those limited places where it is still safe are very rare so prices are going crazy there.
it is expensive these days to afford to have your kids in a clean school with good programs where they actually allowed to learn and not suffer from presence of scumbags who do not need to learn, do not want to learn and do not let whole class to learn as well, not even to mention gangs, drugs, beating up of anybody who smarter than they, etc, etc.

real estate price filtering always existed of course, but back then it was based on a different approach and it was tolerable, but when assh#le congressmen barney frank and Co pushed for all those chances to 'equal opportunity lending' etc what efficiently resulted in removal of any common sense from how loans were given to people and loaners boosted the bubble.. gosh...

i just cannot believe all those motherf#@#$ politicians are still there and deny ANY responsibility for what they have done. there is NO equality on what people can and cannot afford. if any scumbag earns nothing and pays no taxes - it does not deserve to have a mortgage, it is that simple.
but no, they had to make it 'equal'. it all is just plain crazy of what they have done to the country and people in this country and then they got a nerve to blame it all on a 'greedy wall street' who feeds and nurses those same politicians and even got paid off again with peoples money in the end.
naturally wall street will exploit such a chance if government decided they will subsidize people with no income buying houses, why not...

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-27-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Zipgun
Instructor

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rchid=17185016

LOL! I knew I saw that user name before, he was on Bimmer forums a few years back pretty much asking the same type of questions regarding a bmw... Looks like he enjoys "talking" about getting things...
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zipgun
http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rchid=17185016

LOL! I knew I saw that user name before, he was on Bimmer forums a few years back pretty much asking the same type of questions regarding a bmw... Looks like he enjoys "talking" about getting things...
Good find!

Now it all makes sense.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Good find!

Now it all makes sense.
Okay great. Excellent find.

Now can we continue with the fun?!

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)