Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
BTW, it should always be cash-money. If it involves a loan (for luxury items) there's a weak link in the chain of thinking. Just my opinion.
This is my opinion as well.

One should never finance a luxury item if that is the only way you
can afford to own it.

Now, there may be benefits to creative financing rather than writing
a check for $100,000 plus dollars. However, you should be able to
comfortably pay cash for the P-Car and it shouldn't sting too badly.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law

can afford to own it.

Yes, that's better said. If you can finance and save a few bucks (bucks that you already have) that's great too. OTOH, if financing to save a few bucks is no fun, then write the check and enjoy.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owning a 997 is expensive - but it depends on what disposable income you have. I am only a police sergeant so everyone assumes I could not afford a Porsche. But I am single - no kids - no ex wife to pay alimony to - don't drink or smoke. Don't like parties, don't gamble and only go on holiday to my apartment in southern Spain and I have made wise investments so virtually all my income can be spent on my favourite hobby - cars.

If you have other obligations like a wife and family id stick with the Honda.

Also what is it with the 'stupid question' police here recently.

The OP's question is perfectly valid. The prospect of owning a Porsche can be a daunting move for someone who has not owned such a car before so its sensible to try and work out the costs before the purchase is made.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2

Also what is it with the 'stupid question' police here recently.

The OP's question is perfectly valid. The prospect of owning a Porsche can be a daunting move for someone who has not owned such a car before so its sensible to try and work out the costs before the purchase is made.
Well, if he asked what's the cost of owning a Porsche over a 5yr period, it's a very valid question. But to compare it to a Honda Accord, is simply comparing apples and oranges and doesn't really makes sense.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:21 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
To the OP: With all due respect... if you have to ask about maintenance costs you do not afford a Porsche. This is not a snob reply. (i) A 911 is (even if used) far more expensive to buy than a Honda. (ii) even if it has no major issues, dealer maintenance costs more than Honda's. These are just facts. Draw your own conclusion.

With all due respect.... It is a snob reply... as are most of your postings when
someone questions the cost of repairs and maintenance... you infer that if you question you're not worthy of owning..

Walks like a snob, talks like a snob, posts like a snob..... sounds like a snob to me..
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Are you planning on buying new? You can save 10's of thousands of dollars buying pre-owned one.

Also, LA is a rough place for using a 997 as a daily driver even though we see them all over the place. I use it as a DD and there are definitely times where I wish I had something a bit more plush to commute and bop around in. That said, the payoff is during the weekends where I actually get to take it out and exercise it in the canyons.

Maintenance is not at the same level as a 1980's Ferrari V-12 but getting charged $300 for an oil change from the dealer would not be surprising at all. Cut that price in half or more if learn to change your own.

Keep the Accord and buy a pre-owned 997, 996, Cayman or dare I say Boxter for fun.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Originally Posted by alexb76
Well, if he asked what's the cost of owning a Porsche over a 5yr period, it's a very valid question. But to compare it to a Honda Accord, is simply comparing apples and oranges and doesn't really makes sense.
It makes sense because he owns an Accord and has no other point of reference in regards to vehicle maintenance.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

This. Is. The. Funniest. Post. I. Have. Ever. Read.

please tell me you're not trying to do math to compare a high end sports car and a freaking utilitarian point a to point b commuter.

The math aint gonna work. [PERIOD]

Its about passion. Not numbers.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2

If you have other obligations like a wife and family id stick with the Honda.
Good point Good decisive point. A guy who spends money on a new Porsche who has his kids' futures to be concerned about is by definition a/an [insert favorite expletive here].
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by roadrat
Its about passion. Not numbers.
Yes, that's true. I'd rather like it better to say, "It'$ about pa$$ion. Not number$."
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by At Law

can afford to own it.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. If you can't pay cash for the car then you really can't afford it. Sorry if that sounds elitist.

That doesn't mean that you necesarrily will pay cash for the car (whether you do or not involves several other considerations).

I would say stick to the Honda.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
To the OP: With all due respect... if you have to ask about maintenance costs you do not afford a Porsche. This is not a snob reply. (i) A 911 is (even if used) far more expensive to buy than a Honda. (ii) even if it has no major issues, dealer maintenance costs more than Honda's. These are just facts. Draw your own conclusion.
+1 and I don't mean it in a snobbish sense either. Entry cost is stressed too much without attention to everything else adding up.

If you can't stomach $2k/month depreciation, or $500 per tire every 8k miles, or realize that over 4 years ownership you may be paying around $5/mile to own & drive the car then look elsewhere (much of this is just depreciation when buying new). Think of your daily route, count the miles, then multiply by about $5.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Worry: Low, I don't worry about parking my Honda a the airport parking garage or in the street. People tend to leave them alone. Also, in Los Angeles the roads are littered with trash. So at least once a month I run into a tire retread or a box that fell of of a truck. (yes, this car will be my daily driver)
Worry - hitting road debris with your 911 is not something you want to plan on doing. This could be one of the biggest factors for you - there are places you will just not want to drive a 911 - and if you do, you could be constantly worrying over it. You know - like some countries they tell you not to go out in some areas wearing your watch - if you don't want your hand cut off. Similar problem - it is not just a car at some point. If you have to care too much, then it will become a burden and less fun to own.

Fun: Medium; the V6 is quick 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds due to the high hp and low weight. They handle better then most domestic cars but it's not a BMW. It's easy to drive the car for 3-4 hours and not feel worn out. I drove a Mustang rental car and could not wait to get back to my Accord.
Maybe consider a BMW - you could probably get a lightly used CPO car with some original warranty and pay nothing for maintenance for a few yrs before the 100k CPO kicks in. Fun factor will not be a 911, but it will be a BMW and more practical. Some people don't like 911s on long drives - I find it OK, but I am used to cars like that and know that I prefer it. Go drive some go karts and see if you lean that way or not; if you are not sure - seriously.

Tickets: This car does not attract attention. None. Zero.
Does that mean you are driving in a way that should get you tickets or...? At any rate, that's a cost you have control over. If you like being low-key, a 911 might not be the right car. Sometimes it attracts attention - not just from cops.

The Honda warranty covers the car for about 50K miles; from 50K-100K miles they are solid. From 100K-200K miles Honda's usually requires about $300-500 of repair every 20K miles. (just misc stuff that adds up) After 200K it's better to just buy a new Honda to avoid trouble.
Good argument - so it is nearly free and relatively painless - but I don't think it is completely working for you.

You have posts going back a few years or so on this - so maybe you gotta scratch the itch. CPO rather than new makes a lot of sense now - there's not a thing on a '10 or '11 that you can't get on a '09 - and that could save you $15K or so - that's a lot of gas, tires, and maintenance. With CPO, you have less depreciation and more warranty - hard to make a case for new if being any bit cost conscious.

As has been said, there's no logical reasoning behind getting a 911 - it is all about rationalizing away any trepidations you may have and jumping in.

I say go for it (CPO) - if you hate it, sell it, and don't do it again.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 932 Likes on 521 Posts

newer Honda's have timing chains now, not belts.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
cbzzoom

All these people saying "if you have to ask you can't afford it" or "its about passion not numbers" -

get off your freaking high horse.

You're being ridiculous. Of course it's always about numbers. Why didn't you get a Porsche earlier in your life? Why do you have a 997 now instead of a Turbo or a GT3 or even a Ferrari? Of course it's about numbers.

Even if you have plenty of money, it makes perfectly good sense to figure out exactly how much it costs you and decide whether that expense is worth it for you right now in your life.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)