Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuchs Fuchs and more Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's the problem so far - and my point with the gallery - I just can't really tell how the wheels look. The Otto Fuchs version looks the best in photos, with PAG a close second. The Cali Fuchs, I just can't tell - too "stylized" in the photos. But I do like their color options.

If you want "real" Fuchs wheels, their are a few choices - the PAG turbo wheels are forged Fuchs and there's also the retro "Fuchs style" from Otto Fuchs - although, I wonder about the offsets - they only appear to make one rear, but imply on their WEB that it works for all 997.

But for those looking for the style and not so worried about where they come from, as long as they are quality, there are a few choices now - seems like a good thing.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks wise, I still like the PAG version the best. Waiting for the non-wide body version. For looks, my next choice would be the Otto Fuchs. The Cali Fuchs, might be the best from a performance stand point, but I find the wind mills don't look quite right for my taste.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
That's the problem so far - and my point with the gallery - I just can't really tell how the wheels look. The Otto Fuchs version looks the best in photos, with PAG a close second. The Cali Fuchs, I just can't tell - too "stylized" in the photos. But I do like their color options.
I agree, it's hard to tell how the REALLY look like, the Otto Fuchs looks the best and closest to classic look by a large margin, but then again, it's just in pictures. I like to see Fuch Performance wheels in person or in non-photoshop picture to make a call on them.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:05 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What you do not realize is the the Fuchs Racing group in the USA acquired that trademark for use in the USA many many years ago. The only thing that I believe they could be guilty of is is being late to the party. They were the first to envisage a remake of the classic Fuchs windmill wheel for the modern cars and began designing them about 3 years ago. At the same time they began to secure contracts for manufacturing them within a major drop-forging manufacturing company. That takes a significant lead time. Any Chinese job-shop can ramp up quickly to produce a cast version of those wheels and crank them out way before any forging shop can. There is strictly no investment cost comparison. The Fuchs Racing guys recognized that many would pay for the classic look, revised for the newer cars and brakes, and pay the premium for them. Even Otto Fuchs got back into the business once they lost their contract to Porsche to produce the version on the Sport Classic.

If anything Fuchs Racing didn't judge how quickly that wheel would catch on with those of us with the newer cars.

The other issue which i believe is significant, is economic. In today's economy, I have to hand it to the Fuchs Racing guys in that those wheels are wholly produced in Southern California. You are helping the US economy by purchasing them here rather than going to Otto for him. At some point I would like to lay each of these wheels by each other and then you will be able to see the differences.
Absolutely on the point and I totally commend them on going after quality rather than just producing some crap made in china. I for one, am tired of sending our hard earned money to China to boost up their economy while our North American economy suffers greatly.

I just WISH they didn't use the Fuch name in the way they did... could have used Fox maybe? or whatever else. Just reading this thread shows you how much confusion there is understanding who is "Fuchs Racing"?

Anyhow, love to see the ACTUAL wheels once to see how they are made/look like as at least in the pics, the Otto ones look better.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As it turns out, the wheels shown in the previous ebay ad are made by Avant Garde, a well respected wheel manufacturer. See the link to their "Classic" wheel here:
http://www.avantgardewheels.com/ruge...sic-wheel.html

Wheel Dynamics has a helluva deal going right now.. and I'm about as close as a guy can be to pulling the trigger on a set. I'm going to call Eli at WD today to discuss the wheels. If they're as advertised, I'll have a set moving to NC this week.

I'm not one of those guys who feels that you have to spend $5+K to get a decent set of aftermarket wheels. I don't intend to track day the car, and I don't intend to slam it into a curb.. (and if I did, the last thing I'd be worrying about is a broken wheel). I just like the Fuchs wheel look, and if I can save a few thousand bucks by buying the Avant Garde wheels, I'll do it.

I'll post some pics when I get 'em mounted.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 997
As it turns out, the wheels shown in the previous ebay ad are made by Avant Garde, a well respected wheel manufacturer. See the link to their "Classic" wheel here:

Wheel Dynamics has a helluva deal going right now.. and I'm about as close as a guy can be to pulling the trigger on a set. I'm going to call Eli at WD today to discuss the wheels. If they're as advertised, I'll have a set moving to NC this week.

I'm not one of those guys who feels that you have to spend $5+K to get a decent set of aftermarket wheels. I don't intend to track day the car, and I don't intend to slam it into a curb.. (and if I did, the last thing I'd be worrying about is a broken wheel). I just like the Fuchs wheel look, and if I can save a few thousand bucks by buying the Avant Garde wheels, I'll do it.

I'll post some pics when I get 'em mounted.
Please accurately weigh them for us before mounting tires. Pass on the specs to us!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
backerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually purchased a pair from Eli at Wheel Dynamics. Apologizes for the camera-phone photo quality.
Name:  IMG00001-20101020-1516.jpg
Views: 10329
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  IMG00002-20101020-1516.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  IMG00003-20101020-1516.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  IMG00004-20101020-1617.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  IMG00005-20101020-1617.jpg
Views: 8079
Size:  94.1 KB
Old 10-27-2010, 03:24 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Quite nice!

Are these the wheels that are shown at this link?

are these deep lip vs. standard lip?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM
backerman
Rennlist Member

There are indeed. Deep lip in the rear and standard for the front.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by backerman
I actually purchased a pair from Eli at Wheel Dynamics. Apologizes for the camera-phone photo quality.
Thanks much for that!.. I have a set sitting in my dining room right now. Had a slight manufacture's defect on one, so I'm waiting on the replacement wheel now. My car is the same color as yours.. they look great on silver.

I can't tell from the photos, do your wheels have polished rims?

Now I'm getting itchy to get mine installed...

Last edited by NC 997; 10-27-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

The look great, but aren't they cast and heavy??
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
The look great, but aren't they cast and heavy??
The shipping weights as listed on the boxes are 28lbs for the rears, and 24lbs for the fronts. That includes the weight of the box and packing materials, which doesn't add much.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 AM
backerman
Rennlist Member

They are cast but not heavy. Hopefully modern cast technology has improved significantly. Only time will tell but for the money even road rash doesn't bother me as these are cheap enough to be replaced. I opted for the non-polished lip version.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by backerman
They are cast but not heavy. Hopefully modern cast technology has improved significantly. Only time will tell but for the money even road rash doesn't bother me as these are cheap enough to be replaced. I opted for the non-polished lip version.
how much is a 19" set w/o tires and how does the weight compare to the Fuchs performance forged ones?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
backerman
Rennlist Member

I paid $1600 delivered on this set for street use. I was quoted $6000.00 for the Fuchs forged as they are probably lighter. But I'll just pickup a set of custom Fikses for the track days instead.

Quick Reply: Fuchs Fuchs and more Fuchs