Sponsored by:

Fuchs Fuchs and more Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

They will soon (if not already) be available for the narrow body cars as well.

The Fuchs Racing guys have had a tough time getting the right deep dish (but not too excessive) look because the Porsches since 1989 (964) have had a substantially different offset due to the growth of the brake system. Through careful computer aided design, I think the Fuchs Racing ones will give the appearance of a deep dish without a brake caliper conflict. I hope to see them in person very soon. (Will take photos!)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
They will soon (if not already) be available for the narrow body cars as well.

The Fuchs Racing guys have had a tough time getting the right deep dish (but not too excessive) look because the Porsches since 1989 (964) have had a substantially different offset due to the growth of the brake system. Through careful computer aided design, I think the Fuchs Racing ones will give the appearance of a deep dish without a brake caliper conflict. I hope to see them in person very soon. (Will take photos!)
I think they will sell a lot of them. My info was from the Porsche NA consumer relations rep at the Parade. These would look great on a Boxster as well.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I was just on today and they now have wheels for the narrow bodies!!
Has anybody received a price for them yet? I am going to e-mail and request a price for black centers w/ blk spokes, silver center w/ blk spokes and polished center w/ blk spokes. The configurator they have is awesome.

Here is the link, thanks Edgy for the original link to the site itself!
http://fuchsperformance.com/wheel-range/fuchs-fp-1-19--
Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Those look great in the configurator - silver/black or black/silver on a black car look really cool. I wish their gallery shots were more diverse...on 911s - and less "photoshopped" so I could get a better feel for what they really look like. The 3D view of the wheel looks good though.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The Fuchs Racing guys have obviously updated their web site with their version of a configurator. Helps to visualize things. They should have more actual wheel shots very soon as they just completed the first batch of forgings.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice website. They all look fantastic.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Anyone's got the REAL Otto Fuchs wheels installed with pics?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Funny you should ask...

The eBay wheels are made in China (no doubt) and weigh 28 lbs each up front and 35 lbs each for the rears!

If you want the strongest wheels you should await the Fuchs Racing FORGED wheels. A forged wheel benefits by the manufacturing process which keeps weight to a minimum and ensures a significantly higher strength over castings.

The reason the original Otto Fuchs wheels gained quickly in popularity with Porsche owners over the decades was not merely cosmetic appeal. It had to do with lighter weight and strength by being a forged wheel. Additionally, a forged wheel literally changes the shape of the aluminum molecules in a such a way as to orient the grain to benefit the strength of the wheel--castings can't do that. The molten material merely flows into a sand cast mode where it is both gravity and pressure acting upon it--it leaves a rougher finish (hence why cast wheels are mostly painted to hide that, or with limited machining to achieve the look inherent with forgings. Forged wheels can be polished much more than any casting, or anodized to give that characteristic Fuchs alloy look.

Cast wheels tend to fracture much more easily while a forged wheel will bend, perhaps, but not fracture. (Obviously, with sufficient force, it could also fracture but that is considerably rarer).

Here's an idea of what happens when you hit a curb with a cheap cast wheel:
In addition, NOT ALL Cast wheels are created equal! The material and process used varies GREATLY between high end manufacturers like BBS, OZ, etc... and UNKNOWN Chinese wheel manufacturers! Between the alloys used, the casting process, quality control, paint process, and uniformity of the wheels (how balanced it is).

I would NEVER consider putting cheap knock off Chinese wheels on my 100K car, no matter how they looked like. I rather have a Porsche OEM boring Cast wheels than an uknown chinese made Fuch looking wheel.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also interested in the wheels. I have thought about the cast version that are available for $1400/set, but worry about them being made in China? and of questionable quality. Does anyone know the price range for these fuch wheels? They look nice but cost may not be in my budget.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Here they are on a 997 C4S with an X51 package, special sport exhaust and PDK
Looks GREAT! I really think the Sports Classic Fuch style wheels look best on lighter cars, stand out a lot more than a black car.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackQ
I am also interested in the wheels. I have thought about the cast version that are available for $1400/set, but worry about them being made in China? and of questionable quality. Does anyone know the price range for these fuch wheels? They look nice but cost may not be in my budget.
I would 100% STAY AWAY from eBay wheels, no matter what they say. Only buy wheels that are made by proper manufacturers, such as BBS, OZ, Champion, Fuchs, etc... or OEM Porsche.

If you had a Civic, I'd say not a biggie, but you got a Porsche and should not put cheap knock offs on it... no matter what!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The rule of thumb always applies. If it's priced too good to be true...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:52 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

The rule of thumb always applies. If it's priced too good to be true...
Agreed, the ole "pay for what you get". I will advise on pricing once Fuchs gets back to my e-mail inquiry. Has anybody else e-mailed them since?
Also, what are my set of stock wheels worth on the market? They are un scathed (knock on wood as of now haha) and only have 3k on them.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, "if it seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true. B Iut do not agree that you get what you pay for. There are many opportunity to pay way too much for something. I am very interested in what the pricing is for the forged Fuchs and will pull the trigger if they are reasonable. The price Porsche wants for thier cast wheels is crazy and I think the Fuch USA wheels look better.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackQ
I agree, "if it seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true. B Iut do not agree that you get what you pay for. There are many opportunity to pay way too much for something.
haha, same difference! Those phrases mean the same thing. The phrase "You pay for what you get", doesn't apply to over paying for a bad product, that's getting ripped off. If you told a story and said you paid way too much for something and it broke / failed, nobody would say, " you pay for what you get". However, if you say, I bought these wheels dirt cheap, but they bent, cracked, poor finish, etc., then one would say, "you pay for what you get".

Quick Reply: Fuchs Fuchs and more Fuchs