Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed w/ clear bra install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Geee, why not wrap the entire car in Saran Wrap. Yes, I feel comfortable with a quality respray on those plastic bumpers and hood. What is such a big deal about a respray on the area we all know that chips....better than fake plastic.
abe
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Geee, why not wrap the entire car in Saran Wrap. Yes, I feel comfortable with a quality respray on those plastic bumpers and hood. What is such a big deal about a respray on the area we all know that chips....better than fake plastic.
abe
I'd rather have the real plastic, not the fake stuff...

Truly, I'd rather preserve the original paint, and not deal with re-sprays. The clear-bra job done right, looks wonderful. If it's good enough for Carrera GT's it's good enough for my car.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
IMHO, if you want it to be done right pay a pro to do the touch ups because a good touch up takes time and more money than a cheap touch up. You want them to do something that they may not be that good at...they should have probably told you that they will contact someone else to do the touch up and that will be between you and them. You may be right..but I have found in my experience when you try to squeeze a little xtra from people as part of "the deal" that unless it is specifically written down or that you will be willing to pay xtra for it that it usually ends up as an unsatisfactory job. BTW, do you have it clearly specified in the contract that the touch was going to be done and that it was going to be xtra?
abe
no contract, I know him since high school, so I always trust him and I was never let down before. I do however have in e-mail my request for it to be done and an acknowledgement of the e-mail, but I wouldn't take it any further.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

one major pro for the clear film is if you have a black car. I feel the way a car paint / finish is first judged is how the hood looks. That is the biggest / flattest surface and where everybody looks. I wrapped my entire hood, front fenders, door rockers and mirrors. With the film, you will never get any of the typical swirls and blemishes on the paint, it will always looks prisitne.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Chris Stack
Track Day

Can one install a clearbra on brand new paint, or does the paint need time to cure before a bra can be installed? I'm likely going to buy a new car early next year (not a Porsche, sadly, something much more mundane) and was thinking of having the dealer install (or have an installer go to the dealer) a clearbra before I even took delivery.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Can one install a clearbra on brand new paint, or does the paint need time to cure before a bra can be installed? I'm likely going to buy a new car early next year (not a Porsche, sadly, something much more mundane) and was thinking of having the dealer install (or have an installer go to the dealer) a clearbra before I even took delivery.
let it cure for sure, I have read a few nightmares about this subject.
Smart to get it doen before delivery.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Newly applied paint has to wait about 1 month before installation of protection film. It's so the paint can harden and any volatile compounds can completely evaporate. Otherwise there is the risk that bubbles will form or the paint will come off when the film is peeled off. I would imagine you should wait for touch up paint too.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i will never understand the "clear bra" crowd or the "bra" crowd..

they fall in the same crowd to me as the grandmothers with plastic wrapped sofa's

yup
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
abe
If I am buying a car that has been painted, I wonder if there is more going on than just a respray. How many owners paint their cars unless there has been an accident? I'm not sure that I am as comfortable as you are with a repainted car but I am glad to know that there is a different point of view. If I'm buying a used car I feel better knowing there has been no paint. I'm OK with "Saran Wrap on the front.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you see the damage from a distance of 4 feet? If not then it doesn't exist.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

From my perspective, the biggest problem with clear bras is typically the quality of installation. There are tons of guys out there that try to do them with improper or no training. They get into the business because they have experience tinting or doing vinyl, and think this will be the same. It is not.

Properly installed, with a quality film (cheaper is not better), you can't tell it's there. You need an installer who is trustworthy, well trained and experienced and who sells a quality product. It's no different than any other service you would have done to your car. If you took your Porsche to the Jiffy Lube to have a Sharkwerks 3.9L engine conversion done, would you be surprised if it didn't come out right? Silly, of course, but you get the point.

I am certain that those who talk about clear bras looking cheap or like sofa covers, just haven't seen one installed correctly with a high quality film. Instead, they saw a hack job done with a poor quality film. Think about it...everything you can buy for your car is available at different levels of quality, from tires, wheels, tint, radar detectors, exhaust systems, even the cars themselves. Otherwise, why drive a Porsche when you could get a Geo Metro for a lot less?

If you need a recommendation for an installer that can do the job correctly, PM me and I will see who is in your area. Once I give it to you, don't take my word for it. Ask them how long they have been installing, where they were trained, what brand of film they use, what patterns they use or if they hand cut, what options are available (coverage, wrapped edges, etc) and of course to see samples of their work. If you do your homework and pick the right place, I'm confident you will be satisfied.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 AM
akim47
Racer

+1 for Premier...

I always hated clear bra... until now. Awesome job, you can't really tell since the whole hood is covered. The only seam is halfway up the front 1/4 panel... Does wonders in protecting against small knicks and chips...
Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Premier...
+2 for Premier.

Most folks have poor experience on clear bra is due to the installer.

For clear bra, the installer is the most important factor.

I have been using Premier for years, and I couldn't be happier.

Regards,

(Here is an older post about my last experience with Premier:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...y-premier.html)
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Had xpel done to front of 911. It's invisible. Done by body motion in nj. Great protection for the poor nj roads.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
emmros
Instructor

No doubt, get a pro to do it. I met up with one guy who was considering buying my GT3 and couldn't believe how pristine it is. He was stunned to find out that there's a clear bra on the entire front end. Make sure you do it once and do it right. I had mine done by Premier and have had 3 other cars done dating back 4-5 yrs already and the condition is immaculate. Still factory paint!! No repaint

Quick Reply: Disappointed w/ clear bra install