Sponsored by:

Disappointed w/ clear bra install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Disappointed w/ clear bra install

I am not upset w/ the way it came out or applied, that all looks fine. I am annoyed cause I told the shop to touch up whatever chips I had and they neglected to do so! I don't have many, but it's also the principal that bothers me, cause i told them to do it! What have been your experiances w/ installs? Did your shops do the right thing and touch up chips automatically or usually goes over them?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO, if you want it to be done right pay a pro to do the touch ups because a good touch up takes time and more money than a cheap touch up. You want them to do something that they may not be that good at...they should have probably told you that they will contact someone else to do the touch up and that will be between you and them. You may be right..but I have found in my experience when you try to squeeze a little xtra from people as part of "the deal" that unless it is specifically written down or that you will be willing to pay xtra for it that it usually ends up as an unsatisfactory job. BTW, do you have it clearly specified in the contract that the touch was going to be done and that it was going to be xtra?
abe
Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently unhappy with mine on certain bumper spots, but it's 4+ years old now. Are they supposed to stay bubble free for life? They're not really full bubbles... more like a few spots where it isn't completely smooth (way down on bumper). We have a lot of heat here.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I'm currently unhappy with mine on certain bumper spots, but it's 4+ years old now. Are they supposed to stay bubble free for life? They're not really full bubbles... more like a few spots where it isn't completely smooth (way down on bumper). We have a lot of heat here.
Clear bras don't last forever, it's pretty normal to have bubbles or peeling or yellowing or whatever after 4+ years. I think the film they are using now is better than the old film too.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 AM
boolala
Race Car

I have found that the best way to avoid bubbling and yellowing of clear bras is simply to not install them in the first place.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Are you using the Ex-Pel product? I think thats the name & I believe it's a 3M product. Whats everyones #1 choice? I trust my car to only those I know to be as **** as I am or moreso, with my cars care. Considering a clear installation on my nose and mirrors. Anyone doing the lights? Mine is and 09 C4S. THanks1
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i will never understand the "clear bra" crowd or the "bra" crowd..

they fall in the same crowd to me as the grandmothers with plastic wrapped sofa's

.. just drive the car, my years and years of driving, yes ive hit large bugs and road debris... thats just life, little marks on the bumper are far better than all the BS of putting up with clear bra...

hell i even pulled off the oem pieces at delivery, ugh!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
jkramer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

they fall in the same crowd to me as the grandmothers with plastic wrapped sofa's

.. just drive the car, my years and years of driving, yes ive hit large bugs and road debris... thats just life, little marks on the bumper are far better than all the BS of putting up with clear bra...

hell i even pulled off the oem pieces at delivery, ugh!
Well it saved my butt yesterday. I came too close to the entrance of my garage and swiped the entire left side of the front bumper against it as I pulled in. When I looked at it, my jaw dropped to the ground. I used some polishing compound followed by wax and it looks brand new. That would have been a costly auto body bill if it wasn't on, so to each his/her own. I totally believe in the stuff.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I have found that the best way to avoid bubbling and yellowing of clear bras is simply to not install them in the first place.
Well, you could just buy a yellow car and not worry about the film yellowing. While not scientific, I had too many chips to count on my previous BMW w/ no bra. After 2+ years with a clear bra on my 911 I have a couple of tiny chips. (And I don't drive on any different roads.) Maybe the BMW paint was just super, super soft?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Originally Posted by rijowysock

Vote here for how crappy it looks. Not a fan of covering your car in plastic.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Considering a clear installation on my nose and mirrors. Anyone doing the lights? Mine is and 09 C4S. THanks1
Installed film across the entire front, including the headlights. Mirrors, too. I highly recommend XPEL film!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't like looking at paint chips or door dings so I cover my front with the protective film and am very familiar with my dentpro guy.

If you don't like the look of the film don't get it. If you got it and it turns yellow replace it. No big deal. Still cheaper than a new paint job.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Gotta disagree with all you guys saying clear bras don't look good.

I had an install a couple of months ago by Premier. It looks fantastic. Several people who I work with, who asked why I was having it done, can't believe the quality. You basically can't tell it's there, unless you look very very closely. I'm **** when it comes to my car, and I am incredibly happy with it. Had a full custom front end, mirrors and lights covered.

To answer the OP's original question, Premier did a pretty good job on the one paint chip I had. If I remember correctly, I actually had to sign a sheet giving them the right to do any repairs they deemed necessary while they were applying the film.

Can't say enough good things about the product or the application. It has a life time warranty against bubbling, peeling, or cracking also.

For anyone thinking of doing this and are close enough to one of Premier's sites (Northern or Southern Cali), be like Nike, and just do it!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

My clearbra guy touched up my one paint chip before installing the film. Unfortunately, he did a mediocre job and I demanded redos on a few panels, including the one with the chip. Of course the paint came off with the film and he blew off touching it up the second time.
I've clear filmed two cars and between film install issues, ripping from stone hits and yellowing, let alone the cost, can't say for sure I'd bother again!
And one more thing - in the used car market, is the presence of a clear bra even considered a negative by buyers anyway? What's up with that?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
And one more thing - in the used car market, is the presence of a clear bra even considered a negative by buyers anyway? What's up with that?
Let's see..I'm looking at 3 used cars that I am considering to purchase:

1. Clear bra on the car that's yellow from age.

2. "Resprayed" front.

3. Rock chips/scratches on front.

How can the bra be a negative? If you don't like take it off.
Are you comfortable buying a used car with a paint job?
I would hate to buy a used car with rock chips on the front......but maybe that's just me.

Quick Reply: Disappointed w/ clear bra install