Having extreme trouble finding color I want in a 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
the car on the left, 07 2S Paint to Sample Zanzibar Red Metallic
The car on the right, 09 2S Nordic Gold Metallic.
plz ignore the "ugly" track wheels.

Zanzibar was a special order color in ~ 04 or so, typically seen on Boxsters

cheers

Craig
Yeah, the Nordic Gold was the one I was referring to, the one on the right. That is a nice color, and very unique!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
I had seen that same car in a previous eBay search...I remember the picture of the manuals in the trunk.

The reason I probably bypassed it was because it wasn't a CPO car. Otherwise, it's a beautiful car. But if I'm going to pay that kind of price for a used car, it simply must have a warranty of some kind. Even if it's just a CPO 2-year extension (or whatever CPO gives you) that gives me time to shake any problems out on Porsche's dime.

I posted before but didn't see a response yet...does anybody know of a GOOD and RELIABLE 3rd-party company out there that does extended warranties on 911's? I'd do a non-CPO car as long as I could back it up with a good solid 3rd-party warranty from a company that covers the claims if something goes wrong.

MUSSBERGER: That black one is very nice. But I've been driving a black on black Jeep for about 5 years now, and don't want another black car. Otherwise, very nice car.
Easycare does great warranties on porsches.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
I posted the question because back when I got my 1989, there was a decent selection of reds, yellows, whites, etc.

I was shocked at how many of the more modern cars were made in silver and gray. When I restricted my color choices to Red (which I thought would be a very popular color for 911's) the choices dropped, and not by just a little, but dramatically.

I suppose it would be the same if today's owners who love silver and gray went looking for a 911 ten years from now and the popularity had changed and it was silver and gray that were almost never produced and everything was red and yellow. I'd be having a field day, but they'd be posting "Where are all the silvers and grays???"

I understand color choices, and the public's prevailing mood for colors, changes over time. But I wasn't prepared for just how dramatically what I feel one of "THE" colors for 911's (Guards Red) dropped in popularity.
Great comment, and so true.

I have hundreds of GBs of 911 pictures and an amazed at how good the 911 silhouette looks in a wide variety of colors, especially the older cars.

That being said, I ended up with a Slate Grey car from 1990! Most 964s from that time period were red and slate grey was pretty uncommon, it looks great on my car and I'm amazed at how good it looks from 10 feet away after driving it for hundreds of miles (pic. in avatar was taken 200 miles from home while chasing a bunch of Turbos through the mountains). I love it, but 20 years later I have a bunch of neighbors with SUVs in the same color...sometimes it makes me wish I had a signal green car.

I'm surprised at this groups response to you wanting a red car. Come on, it's just red...not that big of a deal. Maybe you need a GT3 or an RS...lots of great colors in those cars (aren't MKIs gettig close to your price range?)

OR maybe you need to get back into an older car?

Get what you want, sure it's only a car but it's also a hell of a lot more than that also...or we wouldn't spend hours a week on a computer in forums like this (and in random parking lots at cars and coffee).

(great thread, it's been very interesting reading everyones responses. not being negative)
Old 06-23-2010, 07:41 PM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Are you sure you want guards red?!?!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Silver is boring....really. Huh. To each his own. Please do what floats your boat. After all it is your money. But I totally echo everyone's thoughts here that you may fall in love with a particular color that you initially absolutely despised...Yes personal experience speaks.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Everybody has their own POV but I too think that silver is too dull for a 911 and I had a 2006 Arctic Silver with a Lipstick red special ordr leather and it was gorgeous but I grew tired of the color. Everyone had it.

I did a 2010 PTS in Dan's exact color inside and out and i love it so much more. I'm going to keep it forever! I truly believe porsches should be done in fun colors but like everyone's opinion here it's all subjective.

Tom
Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly agree that color is a personal choice. However, I have
never been a silver fan, on any car. It was the hottest trend for
a number of years on everything from Buicks to Bugati's.

It's time to let the silver phase pass and move onto something different; a color that doesn't blend in with the scenery and shows the sexy lines of the 997.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

I'm one of those weirdo's who likes something different, but I want it to be classy, too.

It seems as though the German Mfg's (BMW, Benz, Porsche) all are going with blacks, greys, a few dark blues, silvers, & whites; though Benz and Porsche still have a few Red options, BMW only offers Red variants on certain models.. very limited choices. With few exceptions, it's kinda gotten boring in a way for BMW and Benz.

I'm concerned that Porsche is following suit. I mean, unless I'm mistaken, Porsche dropped Midnight Blue, Malachite Green, and a few others in the last few years. Pfft. Both were just stunning colors. Granted, sometimes colors come in and out of rotation, and yes, perhaps trends can influence what's available. It is also understandable that in the current economic perception, dealers want to play it safe with colors on dealer-spec vehicles.

So you wait for something used (and hopefully low-mileage) to pop up and hopefully have the options you want, or you order one and wait for it... or settle for the common colors. (some of which are stellar, btw.)

I'm not digging that, but that's the way it is.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
I'm one of those weirdo's who likes something different, but I want it to be classy, too.

It seems as though the German Mfg's (BMW, Benz, Porsche) all are going with blacks, greys, a few dark blues, silvers, & whites; though Benz and Porsche still have a few Red options, BMW only offers Red variants on certain models.. very limited choices. With few exceptions, it's kinda gotten boring in a way for BMW and Benz.

I'm concerned that Porsche is following suit. I mean, unless I'm mistaken, Porsche dropped Midnight Blue, Malachite Green, and a few others in the last few years. Pfft. Both were just stunning colors. Granted, sometimes colors come in and out of rotation, and yes, perhaps trends can influence what's available. It is also understandable that in the current economic perception, dealers want to play it safe with colors on dealer-spec vehicles.

So you wait for something used (and hopefully low-mileage) to pop up and hopefully have the options you want, or you order one and wait for it... or settle for the common colors. (some of which are stellar, btw.)

I'm not digging that, but that's the way it is.
I have Malachite Green Targa 4S 2009 love the color will be trading or selling when my Ice Blue Turbo S comes in If Malachite would have still been a color other than paint to match I would have built the Turbo S that color. I have had people turn around in street and catch up just to ask me what color green that is. According to dealer I have only Targa in that color in US they maybe full of doo but to date I have yet to see another Porsche in the same color other than photos. Sometimes I think I may miss the color way to much. If my Turbo is not delve until after 2011 and money is good I may keep
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the flashy colors!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

BTW, there is a huge difference between arctic and GT silver especially with each passing hour/shade of sunlight of the day. I love most of the 911 colors. I strongly feel that it is the car's silhoutte and not the color that makes it look so classy and unique. Go look at a blue or red Prius or a Focus (no offense to these car owners) and let me see if you drool.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:57 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
BTW, there is a huge difference between arctic and GT silver especially with each passing hour/shade of sunlight of the day. I love most of the 911 colors. I strongly feel that it is the car's silhoutte and not the color that makes it look so classy and unique. Go look at a blue or red Prius or a Focus (no offense to these car owners) and let me see if you drool.
For me, it's both...the car's shape AND the color.

You asked if a red Prius would make me drool (cool color, boring car)? Nope. But neither would a silver Ferrari 430, and as much as I love 911's, I think the Ferrari 360/430 is about the most stunning car that's ever been designed. But for me, even the most stunning bodystyle is reduced to "meh" if it's a color I don't like.

After all, if color wasn't important, why wouldn't a purple-with-pink-polka-dot color scheme be just as acceptable as any other?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Csorrows, you have a good point there.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Love the shape of a 430--but could we wedge in a 911 engine and tranny??
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Kuhan
Racer

IMHO, the best looking supercar:

Quick Reply: Having extreme trouble finding color I want in a 997