Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having extreme trouble finding color I want in a 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone things that a speeding Porsche doesnt get attention because its gray/silver/black needs to get a grip. If you believe this I have a bridge to sell you too.

There are so many silver/black cars because thats what the public wants or should I say told what they want.

It goes great with their house where the entire house is painted a lovely shade of beige/off white. OF COURSE we want to show we have great taste so we buy the same colors as everyone else . How incredibly boring and unimaginative.

I say buy what you like and dont settle. Its your money get what you like. It may take more time but dont settle, you will be sorry.

My brother bought a fairly expensive car about 2 months ago and he said he is sorry he got the gray that is the color of the asphalt. BORING, BORING, BORING.

I have an Audi that is in a color called Ocean Blue Pearl Metallic, its almost the same color as Porsche's Aqua or Cobalt. It has a light tan leather interior. I had to order it this way.

When it came in, it was so stunning that the dealer parked it out front for 2 weeks until I could go pick it up as I was out of the country. They said they got more showroom traffic than ever before because people came in to look at my car because it was stunning.

Be patient.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

If you are willing to go with Guards Red or Speed Yellow you should look at the Cobalt and Ruby Red as well. These are great colors. Take a look:

Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Love the shape of a 430--but could we wedge in a 911 engine and tranny??
Now make that a GT engine and you have a buyer
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by tincanman99
If you are willing to go with Guards Red or Speed Yellow you should look at the Cobalt and Ruby Red as well. These are great colors. Take a look:
Yep, I especially like the Ruby Red, and would be open to that one. But I've never seen that color on one being sold, either on Porsche's website, eBay, nor AutoTrader. The only reds I've seen are Guards Red and Carmona Red. I've seen Carmona Red in person, and it's nice, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I've seen the Cobalt Blue in person, but I'm wondering if the dealership didn't have it waxed and shined up really good, because it didn't "jump" out at me. But the pics of Cobalt cars I've seen here are really nice. I need to take another look at that color in person. I've seen the Midnight Blue in person, too, but it's too dark for me. I want something lighter.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:36 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default nearly any color

Nearly any color can be made to look good with some mods..... just my humble opinion.....
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:42 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you seem stuck on CPO, have you tasked your dealer with finding a car for you? They can search inventor a lot easier than you can. It wouldn't hurt to just give them a heads up.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Ruby red is not common. Dealers were afraid of ordering because they would be stuck with it as everyone wants silver and black to show they are "classic" colors or have supposed good tasted . Its out there, you just have to find it.

Cobalt is dazzling in bright sunlight and in the shade looks more subdued. Cobalt really shifts with the light. Its almost a candy color as is the Ruby Red. Here are some links to it on the forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...balt-blue.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...obalt-c4s.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...blue-997s.html
Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Cobalt is dazzling in bright sunlight and in the shade looks more subdued. Cobalt really shifts with the light. Its almost a candy color as is the Ruby Red. Here are some links to it on the forum:

I agree with tincanman. I was in the same boat as you 5 months ago. I was searching for a red, yellow or white S with low miles and certain options. Then I cam across this C4S in Cobalt Blue and immediately loved it. Haven't looked back since.
Whatever you decide you'll find the right one eventually.
Goodluck
Dave.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2010, 05:48 PM
henrysko
Instructor

Can't say enough about this blue. It really is an awesome color that has a lot of variation and depth - especially right after a good wax.

And Dave's911....excellent taste!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I have an Audi that is in a color called Ocean Blue Pearl Metallic, its almost the same color as Porsche's Aqua or Cobalt. It has a light tan leather interior. I had to order it this way.

When it came in, it was so stunning that the dealer parked it out front for 2 weeks until I could go pick it up as I was out of the country. They said they got more showroom traffic than ever before because people came in to look at my car because it was stunning.

Be patient.
I had that same experience with my car. In fact, someone offered my sales guy 7K more than what I paid for it while it sat on the show room floor waiting for me to take delivery. My sales guy offered me a super deal on a silver 2S with more options if I'd give up the car. It didn't even take me a nano second to say no b/c a Speed Yellow 2S with a few particular options is what I wanted (well, actually my daughter picked out the color) - so much so I was willing to pass on better immediate deals and wait 4.5 months for it to be built and shipped.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Ruby Red is a tricky color. In the show room (under the lights) and in bright sunshine it is dazzling. When you lose direct sunlight it looks more brownish (drab reddish brown actually, to my eyes). (I was considering Ruby Red in 2008 and saw one of the first Porsches, a Cayman, in this color delivered to Carlsen. The sun was going in and out behind clouds and it was amazing how the color changed. I wish I'd saved the pics. I took of this.)
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM
jfk308
Advanced

w00tPORSCHE what color is that in the photo you posted? Is it GT Silver?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBnAT
Since you seem stuck on CPO, have you tasked your dealer with finding a car for you? They can search inventor a lot easier than you can. It wouldn't hurt to just give them a heads up.
Well, I asked two different dealers, and they both said I might as well search Porsche's web site myself because they could only assist me with cars their own dealership has. It's not like a new cars I guess, where they can transfer a new car to their dealership, ship it, do the sale themselves, etc.

I really can't blame them. I used to be a real estate agent, and it would be kind of like a client coming in and asking me to spend time finding them a house, but then they'd go directly to the listing agent to buy it.

So, I just search Porsche, eBay, and Autotrader to see if anything interesting pops up in the Bay Area.

Quick Reply: Having extreme trouble finding color I want in a 997