Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having extreme trouble finding color I want in a 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Just be patient I found mine on Autotrader with about 18 months remaining on the new car warranty.
Beautiful, say Paint to Sample, and unique, say deviating stitching, cars are out there but if you've got the time your car is out there.
Have you seen this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_7133wt_935
It's a tip but must be tempting no?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm usually NOT a fan of silver cars, but when I saw the GT Silver Metallic in person, I was very surprised by my reaction (in a good way). Its a very expensive option ( around $3,600.00) but it truly looks fantastic in all different light and it was originally designed for the Carrera GT....not bad lineage.

You'll find your car, keep looking. The Porsche website is a great resource for finding used CPO cars, even if you have to travel to get the one you want.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Just be patient I found mine on Autotrader with about 18 months remaining on the new car warranty.
Beautiful, say Paint to Sample, and unique, say deviating stitching, cars are out there but if you've got the time your car is out there.
Have you seen this?
Interesting color, although I like the darker cobalt blue in your avatar pic better. I saw a cobalt blue color 911 in person here in CA at one of the dealers, and it is a nice color. It didn't make my "top 3" list, but it would probably be #4, and I would consider one.

But the Tiptronic? There's a guy where I work that bought a 997 Turbo a couple years ago with a Tiptronic, and I called him a most unflattering and unmanly word when I found out

Actually, I'm all for automatics in pure daily drivers, driving in the city, etc. My old 1989 was a daily driver, and yes, it did get old working that clutch in city traffic. But I still wouldn't trade the feel of a true stick for anything else in a sports car. Tips, autos, PDKs, F1 type gearboxes, etc, all might be faster and more convenient...but my soul longs to throw a shifter about again as I'm driving a 911.

EDIT: I'll modify my stance on auto-type gearboxes now that I think about it...if I were have something like a Ferrari 360 or 430, I'd probably want the F1 type gearbox. For some reason, it seems "appropriate" in those types of high-end exotic automobiles. But for me, a 911 just deserves a good ole stick to throw around.

EDIT 2: The more I look at that Maritime Blue in your pic, the more I like that color. I wonder if the ones I saw in person just weren't shined and waxed up enough to really show off the brilliant effect of that color? I'll have to see another one in person again...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many third party warranty companies out there. But be certain to do your homework as some are questionable. Plus they can close shop anytime.

One thought would be if you find an original owner car, and to pay the PO to have it CPO'd. That CPO process could also serve as another ppi, so to speak. Then you'd have a factory CPO warranty. If I'm correct, original owners can pay for a Porsche extended warranty before the original factory one expires.

I still don't quite get this urge to be unique and especially in a car that's mass produced. I guess it's just me, but the attraction of these cars is driving them, not how others see me in one.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about having a particular color in respect to the rest of the world, but only to choose a color that I truly like myself. I probably wouldn't even care if they only came in one color.

And in the overall scheme of things, nobody's paying attention to me anyway; not here in LA where even supercars are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
Interesting color, although I like the darker cobalt blue in your avatar pic better. I saw a cobalt blue color 911 in person here in CA at one of the dealers, and it is a nice color. It didn't make my "top 3" list, but it would probably be #4, and I would consider one.

But the Tiptronic? There's a guy where I work that bought a 997 Turbo a couple years ago with a Tiptronic, and I called him a most unflattering and unmanly word when I found out

Actually, I'm all for automatics in pure daily drivers, driving in the city, etc. My old 1989 was a daily driver, and yes, it did get old working that clutch in city traffic. But I still wouldn't trade the feel of a true stick for anything else in a sports car. Tips, autos, PDKs, F1 type gearboxes, etc, all might be faster and more convenient...but my soul longs to throw a shifter about again as I'm driving a 911.

EDIT: I'll modify my stance on auto-type gearboxes now that I think about it...if I were have something like a Ferrari 360 or 430, I'd probably want the F1 type gearbox. For some reason, it seems "appropriate" in those types of high-end exotic automobiles. But for me, a 911 just deserves a good ole stick to throw around.
Amen, brother! A man after my own heart!!!

I dont care how many people try to justify Tip's, PDK, whatever...If it doesn't have a 3rd pedal, it aint a TRUE sports car.

Hold out for the car you want. Its big bucks and you should get exactly what you want (or close).
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I had seen that same car in a previous eBay search...I remember the picture of the manuals in the trunk.

The reason I probably bypassed it was because it wasn't a CPO car. Otherwise, it's a beautiful car. But if I'm going to pay that kind of price for a used car, it simply must have a warranty of some kind. Even if it's just a CPO 2-year extension (or whatever CPO gives you) that gives me time to shake any problems out on Porsche's dime.

I posted before but didn't see a response yet...does anybody know of a GOOD and RELIABLE 3rd-party company out there that does extended warranties on 911's? I'd do a non-CPO car as long as I could back it up with a good solid 3rd-party warranty from a company that covers the claims if something goes wrong.

MUSSBERGER: That black one is very nice. But I've been driving a black on black Jeep for about 5 years now, and don't want another black car. Otherwise, very nice car.
Thanks. Its been a great car and I'll probably rue the day I sell it but I've got a bug up my *** for something else.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Have you seen this?
I was drooling until the "Tip"
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
...If it doesn't have a 3rd pedal, it aint a TRUE sports car.
In your humble opinion, right?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I was drooling until the "Tip"
100% agree, I was on the edge of my seat. Kinda like seeing a great pair of legs and they turn out to be a man's!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM
fusion85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barrier Motors in Bellevue, WA has an '09 red C2S 6 speed manual with black interior. Approx 6600 miles.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont care how many people try to justify Tip's, PDK, whatever...If it doesn't have a 3rd pedal, it aint a TRUE sports car.
Ehhh..., not quite accurate enough, IMO. I gotta go with: if it doesn't look like the picture below it's not a TRUE sports car.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100%. Very well stated.

Tips and PDK's are for lady men.

And don't tell me you bought a Tip or PDK so your wife can drive it.
Your wife should never be driving your 911.

That's what they invented X5's, RX350's, and other Sally cars for.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You might not say that once you see Walter Røhl driving with PDK!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Tips and PDK's are for lady men.
So are starter motors, disc brakes, ABS, PSM, seat belts, helmets, roll bars, etc, etc. Real men don't make use of any of those "lady man" items on their vehicles either, so just guessing, but might you fall a little short in that department too? Times change and improvements are made. Join the 21st century.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

That third photo you posted, of the burnt-looking orange color (zanzibar?) is the orange color I was talking about before! If I were to build my own 911, that's the color I'd probably go for!

Talk about unique - that's a color you'd never have to worry seeing somebody else drive on the road!

the car on the left, 07 2S Paint to Sample Zanzibar Red Metallic
The car on the right, 09 2S Nordic Gold Metallic.
plz ignore the "ugly" track wheels.

Zanzibar was a special order color in ~ 04 or so, typically seen on Boxsters

cheers

Craig
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Having extreme trouble finding color I want in a 997