Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandalism - best way to handle it? (in retrospect)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Vandalism - best way to handle it? (in retrospect)

Parked a few minutes near store to pick something up. I parked away from some cars near some empty spaces.

2 guys (probably mid 20's) were walking into Subway and had just parked next to my car. They were both painters (coveralls and covered with paint). I had seen them pull into the lot when I was in the store.

I walked out to my car a saw a 8 inch white scrape like line on my upper rear fender.

Fortunately, it was not a scrape, but instread one of the guys must have had some paint on his hand and decided to wipe it on my car.

If it was scrape I would have confronted them and got the police involved for insurance purposes.

It wiped off fine - so I just called it a day.

There are alot of a-holes in this world - and most of them don't even run BP!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang them high?

FM
Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my driver's window busted out and my radar detector stolen last fall. It was a real bummer and I was in a funk for several days about it. I found it really useful to reflect on the fact that even with my window busted out and the $2k or so the event cost me, I still probably had a better day than the guy who stole my radar detector did.

There's no excuse for vandalism, it's a particularly ugly crime. There's no gain for the criminal, it's just rage. But count your good fortune and be glad that you don't share that rage and don't suffer whatever misfortune caused it.

All things considered, I'd rather be the guy with paint on his Porsche than the angry painter.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I had my driver's window busted out and my radar detector stolen last fall. It was a real bummer and I was in a funk for several days about it. I found it really useful to reflect on the fact that even with my window busted out and the $2k or so the event cost me, I still probably had a better day than the guy who stole my radar detector did.

There's no excuse for vandalism, it's a particularly ugly crime. There's no gain for the criminal, it's just rage. But count your good fortune and be glad that you don't share that rage and don't suffer whatever misfortune caused it.

All things considered, I'd rather be the guy with paint on his Porsche than the angry painter.
If I ever met you, I'd buy you a beer. Your someone who "gets it".

Thank you for the GREAT perspective. I really need it today (for reasons that have nothing to do with Porsche ownership).

Steve
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have zero understanding for valdalism. These people are scum and need whatever corrective action possible to ensure they think very hard before ever doing it again. It's happened to me a few times and I pray for the day I catch someone in the act, my car or some other victim.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget

An incredibly mature, insightful post. If only more people thought this way we wouldn't have vandals.

I agree wholeheartedly but must add that there have been a rash of vandalism in my neighborhood and the community is considering taking matters into their own hands as the police can't be there all the time. I don't know how it'll all work out.

To the OP, you handled it well. Be thankful that it wasn't a scratch.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great perspective Nugget.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you know it was done on purpose? Maybe as he walked by and had paint on his clothing it smeared on your car without he knowing about it. Conclusions can be reached erronously without the correct facts.

abe
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I would like to be able to be as considerate as most of you, but am not sure how I would react. My friend has had his car and his gf's car vandalised twice. I was very upset over that. I have a hard time accepting why people do these types of things to others. Very nice post and reactions. My hats off to you sirs.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
If I ever met you, I'd buy you a beer. Your someone who "gets it".

Thank you for the GREAT perspective. I really need it today (for reasons that have nothing to do with Porsche ownership).

Steve

+1
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
Parked a few minutes near store to pick something up. I parked away from some cars near some empty spaces.

2 guys (probably mid 20's) were walking into Subway and had just parked next to my car. They were both painters (coveralls and covered with paint). I had seen them pull into the lot when I was in the store.

I walked out to my car a saw a 8 inch white scrape like line on my upper rear fender.

Fortunately, it was not a scrape, but instread one of the guys must have had some paint on his hand and decided to wipe it on my car.

If it was scrape I would have confronted them and got the police involved for insurance purposes.

It wiped off fine - so I just called it a day.

There are alot of a-holes in this world - and most of them don't even run BP!
I think you handled this situation well and in a way that avoided something potentially ugly. You said the guys were covered in paint. Maybe one of them brushed his coveralls up against your car by accident, for example. I'm not excusing the carelessness if that's what it was, but unless you were sure, accusing them of willfully vandalizing your car if it was actually unintentional could have made the situation worse. Whether there was intent or not, and since your car was ok, I think you handled things exactly right. Kudos!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by todd.
I have zero understanding for valdalism. These people are scum and need whatever corrective action possible to ensure they think very hard before ever doing it again. It's happened to me a few times and I pray for the day I catch someone in the act, my car or some other victim.
+1 Todd I can't understand someone damaging the biggest wreck out there. Thanks it wasn't a scratch.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

capital punishment exists for them.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

We have been programmed to think today that vandalism is no big deal ( ie grafitti)

Oh yes it is in my book. It's criminal. Period.

Now then, it could be that said painter unknowingly dripped some paint on the car. If he really wanted to vandalize it, it would have been scratched, IMHO, but you'll never know if you didn't see it happen in real time.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

As a policeman I come in contact with victims and vandals on a regular basis. I am generally amazed how calmly people react to an attack on their pride and joy.

My mercedes was damaged two times outside the police station (on street parking) but luckily I found the culprits and they paid up. Its a bad idea to vandalise the Sergeants car while the CCTV is watching and recording.

My BMW was the worst affected car for attracting vandals - it looked so stunning so I was really upset every time it happened.

Needless to say I don't use the 911 for work and if I have to park it while in a store etc I won't do it unless I can keep the car under reasonable observation.

Quick Reply: Vandalism - best way to handle it? (in retrospect)