Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotrader shows 44 Boxster Spyder’s for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 04:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Pretty sure this is my next car, what’s not to like about it, assuming you:

• Like Porsche’s
• Like fresh air
• Only need two seats
• Appreciate and revel in the simplicity and basic goodness of its design.

Anyway it turns out there are 44 of these things for sale on Autotrader. Admittadely not all are used but I’m guessing like most things today once the novelty wears off these things will be $40k in three years time – woohoo!
Truth be told the new generation Boxster S, when-ever that arrives will/should match the Boxster Spyder’s performance if not it’s Carrera GT’esque profile.
100% agree. I posted this on the GT3 forum, where this car is much better appreciated:

997 C2 MK1: 9.5
993 RS: 9.3
997 C2 MK2: 8.9
997 C2S MK1: 8.8
Boxster Spyder: 8.5
997 C2S MK2: 8.1
996 GT3: 8
997 GT3 MK1: 7.4
Modded Boxster Spyder: 7.4 (2,600lbs & 350HP)
997 GT3 MK2: 6.8

Theoretically, a stock Spyder should outrun and out-handle an MK1 997 C2S and with PCCB, a ~100lb diet and chip + exhaust should keep up with a stock MK1 997 GT3 and out brake and out-handle it due to mid engine, lower CG and less weight. Beyond that, there's just something about the feel of a lighter car that no amount of power can make up for.

I also agree that these things will see huge depreciation due to narrow market appeal. I would say $40k within 2 years is more likely. I just hope they bring out the Cayman version of this thing. I'll take slightly more weight for the rigidity and trackability of a coupe.
Old 05-21-2010 | 04:46 PM
racer
Drifting

I think they are neat. Can't wait for the inevitable depreciation slide (who bought one of those RS60 boxsters thinking they were the "bee's knees" - and here comes the next piece of candy for everyone.

I like the throwback of no AC, manual top etc. Similar to a 964RS/RSA or , following Porsche's "heritage" marketing, a 356 Speedster.. Those cars had no ac and a lousy top as well and they are the most coveted nowadays.
Old 05-24-2010 | 03:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Hit 1,000 miles this morning (on the daily commute) in the Spyder. I have been driving it as much as possible to get through the break-in period, and it has turned out to be very usable on a day-to-day basis and on weekend road trips; the suspension continues to surprise with its suppleness, and the engine with its smoothness. Driveways and potholes are not concerns. Feels like a great road car, as opposed to a racecar for the road.

Handling is, of course, fantastic, with just huge amounts of grip and almost no body roll, defying the comfortable suspension. This is where the lightness manifests itself, as the car doesn't feel light in a vintage Porsche or Lotus sort of way due to slightly heavy steering that is definitely variable and assisted (felt lighter, a bit quicker, and more natural in my 2005 997). Perhaps due to relatively wide track and low tire pressures it runs? Although it has been suprisingly stable in severe wind gusts. Again, it feels like a great road car as opposed to a track car, as it is not at all twitchy or nervous when pushed hard, it just soaks up bumps and undulations in turns. Since the Boxster's introduction people have said the suspension could handle another 100hp...but now it has 100+ more hp, and because of the fantastic suspension, could easily handle 100 more.

For its contribution to the reduced and repositioned mass, the top is easy to accept. With it on, it's not luxury-car quiet on the daily commute, but with the radio on the wind and road noise is easily drowned out. Erecting and dismantling the thing takes a couple minutes, but is easy to do. Not something you would put up and take down to run into the store, but not really much of a hassle, again, when you think about how it contributes to the ride/handling recipie. With the 'bikini' part on, it is a very nice way to have a gentle breeze without sun on one's dome or disturbing the coiffe. With both parts on it is watertight, but that said, it is not for all climates.

The seats are another compromise for weight, and as has been said, seat travel is less than that of a 997. But if you fit, it is a great ride.
Old 05-24-2010 | 04:05 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRJMK
the Boxster spyder is a great car, but please do not get rid of your maritime blue Porsche!
No plans to do that!

Originally Posted by At Law
The Spyder may be a nice addition to the 997 in the garage, however, it could never replace the 997.
Indeed that's the plan a Maritime 997 and a Boxster Spyder in Paint to Sample (sure Bruce good luck with finding that on the used market!)

Actually rough analysis of the spec of these spyders (now 53 units on Autotrader!) shows >50% have P02 Sports Seats and not carbon sport buckets. Dealers obviously nervous that they'll have a tough time finding buyers for cars with carbon sport buckets.

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/..._A.562x421.jpg
Old 05-24-2010 | 08:35 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Actually rough analysis of the spec of these spyders (now 53 units on Autotrader!) shows >50% have P02 Sports Seats and not carbon sport buckets. Dealers obviously nervous that they'll have a tough time finding buyers for cars with carbon sport buckets.

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/..._A.562x421.jpg
Yeah, that's disappointing. I was hoping to pick up a lightly used one with Sport Buckets in a year or 2.
Old 05-25-2010 | 06:02 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure this is my next car, what’s not to like about it, assuming you:

• Like Porsche’s
• Like fresh air
• Only need two seats
• Appreciate and revel in the simplicity and basic goodness of its design.

Anyway it turns out there are 44 of these things for sale on Autotrader. Admittadely not all are used but I’m guessing like most things today once the novelty wears off these things will be $40k in three years time – woohoo!
Truth be told the new generation Boxster S, when-ever that arrives will/should match the Boxster Spyder’s performance if not it’s Carrera GT’esque profile.

Posted here 'cos there is little traffic on 987 section.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...pe=mileageDESC
Interesting I came across this... just returning from a trip to Nurburgring where I tracked, and also attaneded Porsche Sports Cup and test drove a few cars including Boxster Spyder, through twisty roads in Nurburg and upto 110 MPH.

Will do a full report, but I was totally underwhelmed by it! It sure is the nicest handling Porsche I've ever been, much more go cart feel than 911, and looked absolutely fantastic (with roof down), but had the folllowing shortcomings in my opinion:
  1. Engine/exhaust tone was totally muted compared to 911, I didn't really enjoy the sound with roof down than I do in my Coupe!
  2. Power! On paper, it has enough power for its weight, but for one reason or another, it just didn't feel it at all, I always wanted more torque.
  3. Brakes. This was totally the most shocking, I believe it has the exact same Boxster brakes, which is a lot mushier than 911, and just doesn't have the same braking power. I almost crashed first time I tried to slow down the car from a high speed into a corner as I expected 911 braking?!

So, what I suggest is for anyone who wants one of the Spyder, to do an extensive test drive. It really handles great, but for me the above reasons stops me from buying one. If you're buying one, for sure get one with PSE!

Cheers!

Last edited by alexb76; 05-25-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2010 | 06:05 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Theoretically, a stock Spyder should outrun and out-handle an MK1 997 C2S and with PCCB, a ~100lb diet and chip + exhaust should keep up with a stock MK1 997 GT3 and out brake and out-handle it due to mid engine, lower CG and less weight. Beyond that, there's just something about the feel of a lighter car that no amount of power can make up for.
I respectfully disagree! There's no way Spyder can be as fast a 997.1 C2S! I just test drove one at Nurburgring. It might be a bit faster in very twisty roads, but it does really lack braking! If they brought a Coupe/Cayman version... then maybe.

Last edited by alexb76; 05-25-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2010 | 01:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the car you were driving had been beat up. Mags around the world have recorded 1/4 miles in the 12s at 109-110mph, and it certainly does not lack braking (see the post today on the 987 board from a GT3 owner that was most impressed by the brakes).
Old 05-25-2010 | 05:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Interesting I came across this... just returning from a trip to Nurburgring where I tracked, and also attaneded Porsche Sports Cup and test drove a few cars including Boxster Spyder, through twisty roads in Nurburg and upto 110 MPH.

Will do a full report, but I was totally underwhelmed by it! It sure is the nicest handling Porsche I've ever been, much more go cart feel than 911, and looked absolutely fantastic (with roof down), but had the folllowing shortcomings in my opinion:
  1. Engine/exhaust tone was totally muted compared to 911, I didn't really enjoy the sound with roof down than I do in my Coupe!
  2. Power! On paper, it has enough power for its weight, but for one reason or another, it just didn't feel it at all, I always wanted more torque.
  3. Brakes. This was totally the most shocking, I believe it has the exact same Boxster brakes, which is a lot mushier than 911, and just doesn't have the same braking power. I almost crashed first time I tried to slow down the car from a high speed into a corner as I expected 911 braking?!

So, what I suggest is for anyone who wants one of the Spyder, to do an extensive test drive. It really handles great, but for me the above reasons stops me from buying one. If you're buying one, for sure get one with PSE!

Cheers!
Thanks for the review. Engine/exhaust note and power are all relatively easy fixes:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=231

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=265

Originally Posted by alexb76
I respectfully disagree! There's no way Spyder can be as fast a 997.1 C2S! I just test drove one at Nurburgring. It might be a bit faster in very twisty roads, but it does really lack braking! If they brought a Coupe/Cayman version... then maybe.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Sounds like the car you were driving had been beat up. Mags around the world have recorded 1/4 miles in the 12s at 109-110mph, and it certainly does not lack braking (see the post today on the 987 board from a GT3 owner that was most impressed by the brakes).
I have not driven a Spyder so I can't comment from personal experience. However, I have read extensive reviews, some with comparisons to the 7GT3 both from journalists and from 7GT3 owners who have either bought one or have driven one. From all the comments I've read, this is an exceptional car and brakes have never been mentioned as a shortcoming. The biggest drawback I have come across is that due to the open cockpit, the chassis has more flex that a coupe. This affects primarily track guys, many of whom have a keen interest in this car because it's a good platform to build a light weight, mid engine car with decent power.

I agree with Alan. The car you test drove may have been in need of a brake flush and/or pads.
Old 05-25-2010 | 06:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the review. Engine/exhaust note and power are all relatively easy fixes:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=231

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=265
Everything can be fixed! We are talking the car as is.

I have not driven a Spyder so I can't comment from personal experience. However, I have read extensive reviews, some with comparisons to the 7GT3 both from journalists and from 7GT3 owners who have either bought one or have driven one. From all the comments I've read, this is an exceptional car and brakes have never been mentioned as a shortcoming. The biggest drawback I have come across is that due to the open cockpit, the chassis has more flex that a coupe. This affects primarily track guys, many of whom have a keen interest in this car because it's a good platform to build a light weight, mid engine car with decent power.

I agree with Alan. The car you test drove may have been in need of a brake flush and/or pads.
Maybe, cannot quantify the status of brakes or maintenance of them by Porsche Germany, they did look fine and the car had only 3,000 Km on it. They are definitely mushier than 911 brakes, and same size as Boxster so may overheat under heavy tracking and definitely not enough braking clamp force from what I experienced.

Overall, I was underwhelmed. Albeit, I agree it's a great platform to build a track car, which means doing the brakes, exhaust, engine!
Old 05-25-2010 | 07:13 PM
casaforte9
Racer

I agree with allan,
Compared to the 911s brakes on the test drive car, the spyder brakes were mushier and the power is not that diff from a regular 2010 boxster S( 310) or a 2007 Boxster s( 295)

The 911s is clearly superior in torque,power and brakes where as the spyder is more sportier to drive, lighter feel, handling and looks. The 911s catapults from a stop, whereas as the spider needs to get revving before it zooms

I want both, lol but spider will suffice for now
Old 05-25-2010 | 07:21 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

GO for it Bruce, I love the look of the car.
Old 05-25-2010 | 09:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth, from Car and Driver tests:

MODEL / TRANS / WEIGHT / 0-60 / 5-60 / 0-100 / 70-0
2005 Carrera / manual / 3253 / 4.3 / 5.3 / 10.5 / 150
2006 Carrera S / manual / 3290 / 4.1 / 5.0 / 10.2 / 154
2009 Cayman / PDK / 3104 / 5.1 / 5.9 / 13.1 / 151
2009 Boxster S / PDK / 3220 / 4.3 / 4.9 / 10.7 / 155
2009 Carrera / PDK / 3320 / 4.1 / 4.8 / 9.9 / 158
2009 Carrera S / manual / 3279 / 3.9 / 5.0 / 9.4 / 155
2009 Carrera 4S / PDK / 3485 / 4.0 / 4.5 / 9.5 / 153
2011 Boxster Spyder / manual / 2920 / 4.3 / 5.2 / 10.5 / 154

The 2010 Turbo with PCCB braked from 70-0 in 155 feet, showing that with modern Porsches it is all about the tires, as they are delivered with the same selection of brands and have insignificant variances between stopping distances.
Old 05-26-2010 | 12:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i ran out of $ to bet this car.
but it is one hell of a car. short of the .2RS, this is the one i want, over GT2RS i might add.
when i do get one, i will toss the tupee (sp) and just drive it, rain or shine
drove my miata in pouring rain for hours, top down.
Old 05-26-2010 | 01:32 AM
signature65
Instructor

Boxsters are great....you can hang with all the Miata guys!

Quick Reply: Autotrader shows 44 Boxster Spyder’s for sale.