Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotrader shows 44 Boxster Spyder’s for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Autotrader shows 44 Boxster Spyder’s for sale.

Pretty sure this is my next car, what’s not to like about it, assuming you:

• Like Porsche’s
• Like fresh air
• Only need two seats
• Appreciate and revel in the simplicity and basic goodness of its design.

Anyway it turns out there are 44 of these things for sale on Autotrader. Admittadely not all are used but I’m guessing like most things today once the novelty wears off these things will be $40k in three years time – woohoo!
Truth be told the new generation Boxster S, when-ever that arrives will/should match the Boxster Spyder’s performance if not it’s Carrera GT’esque profile.

Posted here 'cos there is little traffic on 987 section.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...pe=mileageDESC
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R

• Like Porsche’s
• Like fresh air
• Only need two seats

Anyway it turns out there are 44 of these things for sale on Autotrader. Admittadely not all are used but I’m guessing like most things today once the novelty wears off these things will be $40k in three years time – woohoo!
Truth be told the new generation Boxster S, when-ever that arrives will/should match the Boxster Spyder’s performance if not it’s Carrera GT’esque profile.

I like some aspects of the car but it is pretty much a car for a driver who is very much into top down driving and lives in an area that is has lots of top down driving weather.

The car is not a daily driver for most owners in most locales and the top is not an easy thing to raise and secure.

My take is the car will suffer considerable depreciation and in a year or two or 3 used ones can be had for a considerable savings. And probably with few miles on them due to lack of use.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Spyder is a cool car but for someone else, not me.

Its really not that much lighter once you add AC,etc.

I had a boxster once, never again.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does absolutely nothing for me, and paying a premium for a Porsche in todays market makes no sense. Get a 997 CAB, much more car for the money, and not too much more to pay these days. I don't know if you've gone from a 997 to a Boxster, but I did go from a '06 997 to an '07 Cayman, then to a '07 997. Sure, the Cayman S was fun to drive, well balanced, but the two cars are just not comparable.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
REBor8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem is that I don't fit! Anyone over 6'2" won't find sufficient range of seat travel in Boxsters or Caymans. I guess I'll just have to settle for Carreras. I do like the Spyder concept and hear that they handle superbly.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on that ^!

I am 6' 3" tall and in a Boxster/Cayman in order to get the seat back to a comfortable incline, the seat has to move up and my knees are rubbing on the bottom of the steering wheel. To get a comfortable amount of leg room, the seat has to go back and the firewall forces the beat back into an extremely upright position. Both options are very uncomfortable, as is an "in-between" setting. Poor design, IMO.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a fantastic car, maybe the most "pure Porsche" if you're into that kind of thing - it's an absolute driver's car that shuns practicalities.

But yeah the height/seat issue is a killer for me. I'd probably have a Cayman right now instead of a 997 if not for that.

Power to weight on the Spyder vs. the 997 is very comparable. A Spyder with a better engine would be an absolute beast.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I had my heart set on one as my next Porsche and hadn't considered the height thing (I am 6'4" with long legs).
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a boxster s back in 2002. It was a fantastic car. Today's boxster s has the power of early 996 Carreras. I would hate the manual top of the spyder so I would prefer the boxster s. Soon we will be talking about an even "cheaper" Porsche. Personally, I don't like the idea of seeing so many porsche on the street. I would rather keep it exclusive but porsche needs to increase volume.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce R

• Like Porsche’s
• Like fresh air
• Only need two seats

the Boxster spyder is a great car, but please do not get rid of your maritime blue Porsche!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Man, I had my heart set on one as my next Porsche and hadn't considered the height thing (I am 6'4" with long legs).
Then, unfortunately, the current Box/Cay will not work for you. Go sit in one for 5 minutes and try to find a comportable seat setting that you would want to be in during a 4 hour drive. I doubt you will find such a position.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Boxsters are fun if you don't drive like a wuss. Rev that sucker. You can wind the gears for a good long time. In my c2s it lasted only a few short seconds, then fun's over. Also, you don't worry so much about cops.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May issue of Excellence....Boxster Spyder quicker than a PDK Cayman S from lap one.
The author rated it the best handling Porsche in the line up along with.... forget which, but its up there.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Spyder may be a nice addition to the 997 in the garage, however,
it could never replace the 997.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Spyder for me, as I also couldn't find a comfortable seating position in my old Boxster. Aside from that, I'm really not a fan of the manual top -- it just doesn't look quite right to me.

Quick Reply: Autotrader shows 44 Boxster Spyder’s for sale.