Sponsored by:

Quick window grease question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick window grease question..

Both 997's whenever I put window down I get greasy smudge lines on interior of window and sometimes exterior. Cleans off but always comes back. Car is garaged so not like sap or something getting down there. Anyone else have this problem and fixed it? Seems like something that could be fixed but no clue how.

Going to dealer tomorrow and figured I'd ask before going.

Last edited by rijowysock; 04-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like grease might have found its way onto those rubber/felt seals inside and outside your windows. Wonder how the dealer will fix this issue without actually replacing those seals.

No grease here. But during the winter, white salt-like streaks would appear on the inside of my front windows after lowering/raising. I further confirmed that it was indeed salt after tasting it. How does salt get inside the door/window? Shouldn't do that, imo.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's a common problem. Nothing can really be done about it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes me nuts.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
cbzzoom

Yeah I have this too. Must be some lube for the power window parts getting on the glass. I just wipe the windows off and it goes away for a week or so.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate those marks.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
djlod
Advanced

I definitely notice the lines on the inside of the windows.
It's not that bad, but it's a nuisance.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

i guess ill say something, really annoys me.. i spend an hour cleaning every window perfectly.. put my window down to talk to the guard in my neighborhood and then its there clear as ever... gotta have door closed to clean too cause otherwise u miss the 1" at the bottom.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Sorry to see the same problem has been around for years and cuts across 3 different series.

The grease gets on a felt guide and can't be cleaned, the guide has to be replaced. My experience was that it was an involved job, and the dealers were reluctant to address it since it has the potential to return.

I gave up and just bought some more "Invisible Glass". Think of it as adding 'character'.

BD
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

This problem is solvable; worked for me. Fold a microfiber over a wide blade putty knife and run it back and forth and up and down after jamming it down between seal and glass; move MF frequently (don't waste your time with a normal cloth). With window glass all the way down it's easier. Here's a plastic one:
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM
jca3
Intermediate

Happens with my 997.1 as well. I love hearing this stuff on the site -- makes me realize I'm not crazy and I'm not alone.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, more of my two cents: it's probably not necessarily grease from something Porsche did. The windows collect pollen and sap droplets other sticky stuff and then the seals wipe it off and collect the residue. Get a little moisture on there and the whole thing mucks up. Garaged? Sticky stuff can collect in just an hour of parking outdoors; especially in Spring. From my experience (third Porsche) this is an easy problem to fix. Do they EVER mention it in the manual; i.e. in the "how to clean the car" section? Do we have a "how to clean the car" section?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jca3
Happens with my 997.1 as well. I love hearing this stuff on the site -- makes me realize I'm not crazy and I'm not alone.
i feel Im overly **** sometimes, then again no car ive had in past has done this other than porsche, and ive had some not so "elegant" cars

Originally Posted by LlBr
This problem is solvable; worked for me. Fold a microfiber over a wide blade putty knife and run it back and forth and up and down after jamming it down between seal and glass; move MF frequently (don't waste your time with a normal cloth). With window glass all the way down it's easier. Here's a plastic one:

thank you!, will try today.. going to walmart now for the putty knife.. i have a metal one but i feel will inflict irreparable damage.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by LlBr
BTW, more of my two cents: it's probably not necessarily grease from something Porsche did. The windows collect pollen and sap droplets other sticky stuff and then the seals wipe it off and collect the residue. Get a little moisture on there and the whole thing mucks up. Garaged? Sticky stuff can collect in just an hour of parking outdoors; especially in Spring. From my experience (third Porsche) this is an easy problem to fix. Do they EVER mention it in the manual; i.e. in the "how to clean the car" section? Do we have a "how to clean the car" section?
Nah, I don't think so. It's always on the inside of the window in the exact same spot (near the front) and it's not sticky or dirty at all, it's clean grease.

Does Porsche have any procedure for reporting things like this that they should fix in the next gen?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
dallison28
Pro

lol, i chuckled at this one since it is something that i would do and the wife would just shake her head.....

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I further confirmed that it was indeed salt after tasting it. How does salt get inside the door/window? Shouldn't do that, imo.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Quick window grease question..