Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick window grease question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last fall, on my '06 Cab I did what LIBr said to do but I added 1 step. I wet a microfiber w/ rubbing alcohol & followed up with a clean dry microfiber. I used a one wet & one dry microfiber on each side of the glass for a total of 8 cloths. So far so good but I'll have to see what happens after the air temp. stays above 90 & new grease melts it's way into place.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Nah, I don't think so. It's always on the inside of the window in the exact same spot (near the front) and it's not sticky or dirty at all, it's clean grease.
Yes. I'm sorry to have unintentionally glossed over your particular accurately self-assesed problem. There are probably cases like that where Porsche messed up. Maybe you should try it a few dozen times anyway with a little bit of Goo Gone (not Goof Off)? I dunno. It can't be an infinite amount of grease (or can it?! ). Better than dropping the car off at dealer and have them remove a perfectly good (non-rattling) factory-installed door liner.

I'm certainly no expert but I think most cases are gummed up buy the environmental contaminants.

OH BTW, The putty knife and microfiber also fixes windows that are sticking and not necessarily dirtied-up.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Yes. I'm sorry to have unintentionally glossed over your particular accurately self-assesed problem. There are probably cases like that where Porsche messed up. Maybe you should try it a few dozen times anyway with a little bit of Goo Gone (not Goof Off)? I dunno. It can't be an infinite amount of grease (or can it?! ). Better than dropping the car off at dealer and have them remove a perfectly good (non-rattling) factory-installed door liner.

I'm certainly no expert but I think most cases are gummed up buy the environmental contaminants.

OH BTW, The putty knife and microfiber also fixes windows that are sticking and not necessarily dirtied-up.
did the putty knife trick, too afraid to put windows down for now.. ill check next week if clean.lol.

wish i could eliminate this dash rattle now.. gotta remove that panel below steering column which is insanely hard... dont know where the bolts/clips are.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:48 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

rijowysock
For your steering column go to:
The Parts Catalog (downloadable PDF file) is on the Porsche.Com website.

Go to "Personalization & Service" then "Porsche Service" then "Parts and Diagnostic Information" then "Porsche Original Parts Catalogue". You can then select the model you want to view.
Download the pdf: "997_USA_Katalog" file. It's 5.7MB file. Type "steering column" in the search box & you will see all the parts.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NA011
rijowysock
For your steering column go to:
The Parts Catalog (downloadable PDF file) is on the Porsche.Com website.

Go to "Personalization & Service" then "Porsche Service" then "Parts and Diagnostic Information" then "Porsche Original Parts Catalogue". You can then select the model you want to view.
Download the pdf: "997_USA_Katalog" file. It's 5.7MB file. Type "steering column" in the search box & you will see all the parts.
Whoa!

wish me luck, thats very cool find, thank you.

iPad made useful:

started to take apart, some of the stuff doesnt wanna budge.. still have rattles.. :-(

Last edited by rijowysock; 04-21-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NA011
Whoah sweet, awesome info!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm finally running out of the grease problem--at 45,000 miles!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had luck with just asking them to repalce the 2 regulator pads on ea. window.....they should do that a few times under warranty.

Quick Reply: Quick window grease question..