997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

998 pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010 | 07:56 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

I do remember that shut-off at a light while test driving the Panamera. My Lexus hybrid shuts off as well, but it is annoying to me. I doubt I am keeping that car, the Lexus 250hs, very long.
Old 04-16-2010 | 10:19 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

hardtop convertible / targa-convertible?
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:02 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Those of us with Kids and would like to use 911 on weekends run into issues, as the rear seats are providing not much leg room, if it picked up 5 inches or so, it would make a huge difference. Having just driven the 2010 S, I would not trade my car for a 997.2, Not a enough difference. However, a larger 911 or Panamera Cab would get my attention to write a check. Especially the Panamera Cab. Whoever wanted a mid engine 911 really doesnt understand why this car is a classic. My 2006 is as timeless as any of the 997 Cabs, It would really take some radical improvements to get me out of my cab into another cab.
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Those of us with Kids and would like to use 911 on weekends run into issues, as the rear seats are providing not much leg room, if it picked up 5 inches or so, it would make a huge difference. Having just driven the 2010 S, I would not trade my car for a 997.2, Not a enough difference. However, a larger 911 or Panamera Cab would get my attention to write a check. Especially the Panamera Cab. Whoever wanted a mid engine 911 really doesnt understand why this car is a classic. My 2006 is as timeless as any of the 997 Cabs, It would really take some radical improvements to get me out of my cab into another cab.
Get a Panamera, do not murder the 911.
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:35 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Those of us with Kids and would like to use 911 on weekends run into issues, as the rear seats are providing not much leg room, if it picked up 5 inches or so, it would make a huge difference.
I would agree at present my kids could ride back there until about 10 years of age, or their legs fall off Another few inches might be a good reason to upgrade in 4/5 years. It won't be the sole reason but ya sure it would be another reason. They say the new car will be lighter than today's 997 so I can't see how the 911 will be "murdered".
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I would agree at present my kids could ride back there until about 10 years of age, or their legs fall off Another few inches might be a good reason to upgrade in 4/5 years. It won't be the sole reason but ya sure it would be another reason. They say the new car will be lighter than today's 997 so I can't see how the 911 will be "murdered".
I guess you don't. It all depends on what a 911 is for you.
Old 04-17-2010 | 04:10 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

The rear seats are handy vs. being a pure 2 seater. My 12 year old still fits back there comfortably. Heck, even my wife and 18 year old son have managed to cram themselves in back there, albeit for shorter duration rides.
Old 04-17-2010 | 10:31 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

This is going to sound horrible but if people need more room for their kids go buy a sedan.

There is a disease with the car industry right now where each new generation of a car keeps growing bigger than the previous generation. Witness the current Audi A4 which is now the size the A6 used to be. The A4 used to be a compact sports sedan, its hardly compact now.

The small back seats in the back of the 911 are all that it needs. Porsche leaves them there for insurance reasons mostly, so its not a 2 seater.

If the car grows to have real back seats, than its not really a 911 anymore is it?
Old 04-17-2010 | 10:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tincanman99
This is going to sound horrible but if people need more room for their kids go buy a sedan.

There is a disease with the car industry right now where each new generation of a car keeps growing bigger than the previous generation. Witness the current Audi A4 which is now the size the A6 used to be. The A4 used to be a compact sports sedan, its hardly compact now.

The small back seats in the back of the 911 are all that it needs. Porsche leaves them there for insurance reasons mostly, so its not a 2 seater.

If the car grows to have real back seats, than its not really a 911 anymore is it?
Spot on. Many new 911 buyers have no clue what a 911 is. They buy it for its image.
Old 04-17-2010 | 11:04 PM
kosmo
Race Director

+1
Im going to guess many 911 owners have other, larger, cars.
Old 04-17-2010 | 11:29 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Spot on. Many new 911 buyers have no clue what a 911 is. They buy it for its image.
Care to elaborate. Some people spend money because they can. Some appreciate the engineering and dynamics of a particular vehicle. Some do both. Personally I would never spend $100k + on a vehicle without knowing as much as possible about it (I don't mean trivia knowledge).

Last edited by kkapoor; 04-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2010 | 11:36 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

+911
I used to have a 3 series and that was the family car. Now my wife's mini van is and I get to enjoy the C2S but I love to have the option of the back seat. My 2 kids fit perfectly there and I've even done a few daytrips with all 4 of us in the Pcar. I'd hate to see the 911 get bigger and heavier than it is, I'd rather like lighter and more powerful, leave out all useless gadgets included in other cars nowadays...
Old 04-18-2010 | 12:27 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Somehow I see the VW beetle (new one) boot smile
Old 04-18-2010 | 02:13 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

I'm not saying I want more back seat space or the car to get bigger. Just saying the rear seats do come in handy.

I in fact have a luxury sport sedan and an SUV to go along with the 911. But there are times when the other cars are out and I'm forced to fit 3 in the 911.

The tiny rear seats are part of what makes it a 911. My first ride in a 911 was as a teen squished in the back of my dad's friend's brand new '76 911. Without the rear seats, my dad and his buddy would have left me at home.
Old 04-18-2010 | 01:09 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

+1000. Agreed and I have 2 kids. I take them in the 911. But if they outgrow the back seats, then into the front they go or into the MDX they go. I dont want the 911 any bigger or heavier. Thats why I like it vs. an M5 or AMG Mercedes etc.

Quick Reply: 998 pics