Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

998 pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 578 Posts

On the new one - its very nice. Like almost everything - wheels are awesome. Except perhaps, the mirror on the door. I like evolutionary on the outside and somewhat revolutionary on the inside. Thats what makes a Porsche a Porsche.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People who defend the porsche name as if they hold a controlling stake in the company are amusing at best. You don't think they want 911s to be mid engined? If rear engined was so great why did not the boxster and cayman not follow suit? I guess genetic oversteer and computerized understeer to compensate is exactly what you want on the track. And if you say thats all part of the "charm" of a 911, then you care more about defending what's in your mind a flawless product than facing facts; how sad for you and your internet friends (as I doubt u have many others). What is a real "Porsche"? It is just a product at the end of the day, nothing mystical to either "get" or don't "get". Is a 4 wheel drive 911 not a true 911? Is a water cooled 911 not a true 911? Last time I checked, Porsche makes just about everything but minivans, so yea, they are a mass consumed product now, and should be critiqued as such. Mid engined is superior, no one can argue that. So what is it exactly we are "Losing" if a 911 becomes mid-engined? Historical conformity? Give me a break kids.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Handoogies
People who defend the porsche name as if they hold a controlling stake in the company are amusing at best. You don't think they want 911s to be mid engined? If rear engined was so great why did not the boxster and cayman not follow suit? I guess genetic oversteer and computerized understeer to compensate is exactly what you want on the track. And if you say thats all part of the "charm" of a 911, then you care more about defending what's in your mind a flawless product than facing facts; how sad for you and your internet friends (as I doubt u have many others). What is a real "Porsche"? It is just a product at the end of the day, nothing mystical to either "get" or don't "get". Is a 4 wheel drive 911 not a true 911? Is a water cooled 911 not a true 911? Last time I checked, Porsche makes just about everything but minivans, so yea, they are a mass consumed product now, and should be critiqued as such. Mid engined is superior, no one can argue that. So what is it exactly we are "Losing" if a 911 becomes mid-engined? Historical conformity? Give me a break kids.
Objectively speaking, you're right. However, the problem for many is the 911's iconic formula hasn't changed much from the car's original roots. Most cars are revolutionized about every 6 years. So for other cars, people can be more accepting of change. But the 911 has stayed true to form for so long, that every change that goes against tradition will be debated and for some purists perhaps never accepted.

At the end of the day, if Porsche calls it a 911 then it is a 911. Consumers can vote with their check books if they agree or not.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
chbj
Advanced

The backseats ARE the reason for me to have a 911. If I didn't need the backseat for my son I would buy an Audi R8
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chbj
The backseats ARE the reason for me to have a 911. If I didn't need the backseat for my son I would buy ....
a used 2009 Cayman S and slap a Turbo on it.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

You are free to think as you please, and I could care less. For me a 911 is an all-in-the-rear design, anything different is not a 911. What you say tells me in no uncertain terms that you have no clue on what a 911 is and how it drives. If I wanted a mid-engine I would get a Cayman, R8 or 430.

The real story is that these days people buy the '911' for looks and image.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 AM
tourbillon001
Intermediate

I bought my 911 because of the back seats. I have a little boy that I wanted to experience a fun car with. Its my DD and his car seat never leaves the passenger side rear seat. So your statements about going mid engine would not work for all of us. Besides if you want mid engine there a lot of great cars, I personally love a mid engine car, but I'm thankful the 911 is what it is so that I can have a great sports car that doubles as a family car too
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chbj
The backseats ARE the reason for me to have a 911. If I didn't need the backseat for my son I would buy an Audi R8
+ a million!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
+ a million!
Ever race an R8 on the track? My guess is not. They all seem to have serious fade after two laps. Is the availability of a back seat in question here or performance? Anyways regardless I can tell you a 997.2S will beat a R8 ANYDAY on a circuit from vast personal experience, unless all those R8 drivers I raced with were simply retards. So you say minus rear seat and go with a R8? you might just as well belong in one. A better departure would have been if I were to lose the rear seats in my 911 I'd rather be in a autofarm cayman or a vantage v8 (considering adding it heavily as of now) People who track once in a blue moon with other subarus should really do some more sessions before piping in. Again, as with sports cars in general, they are not family cars. Thats what the Range is for. Might make you feel cool for a while that your kids are in the back but then again, are you transporting in a practical vehicle? Load in/out is a process as I can imagine. Please treat your sport car with some dignity and don't (excluding the random joy rides with the fam) categorize it as a "family vehicle"
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 AM
tourbillon001
Intermediate

Default It functions just fine as my family car

Ever race an R8 on the track? My guess is not. They all seem to have serious fade after two laps. Is the availability of a back seat in question here or performance? Anyways regardless I can tell you a 997.2S will beat a R8 ANYDAY on a circuit from vast personal experience, unless all those R8 drivers I raced with were simply retards. So you say minus rear seat and go with a R8? you might just as well belong in one. A better departure would have been if I were to lose the rear seats in my 911 I'd rather be in a autofarm cayman or a vantage v8 (considering adding it heavily as of now) People who track once in a blue moon with other subarus should really do some more sessions before piping in. Again, as with sports cars in general, they are not family cars. Thats what the Range is for. Might make you feel cool for a while that your kids are in the back but then again, are you transporting in a practical vehicle? Load in/out is a process as I can imagine. Please treat your sport car with some dignity and don't (excluding the random joy rides with the fam) categorize it as a "family vehicle"
I don't have a clue what your stable looks like, but I have a gallardo, and a 911 and my lady has a bwm, so for me the 911 works as my family car. It functions very well in this role as it gets my son (hes 2) from point a to point b with a smile on both of our faces. If this some how pains you well i dont really care. The 911 was the perfect DD for me. I wanted something that looked good, hauled ***, handled well, and did not scream to the world look at me, all while allowing me to put my son in the car while taking my women out. Sounds like a damn good family car to me.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tourbillon001
I don't have a clue what your stable looks like, but I have a gallardo, and a 911 and my lady has a bwm, so for me the 911 works as my family car. It functions very well in this role as it gets my son (hes 2) from point a to point b with a smile on both of our faces. If this some how pains you well i dont really care. The 911 was the perfect DD for me. I wanted something that looked good, hauled ***, handled well, and did not scream to the world look at me, all while allowing me to put my son in the car while taking my women out. Sounds like a damn good family car to me.
+1...it can be a (fun) family car....In my case, unfortunately, no Gallardo, just the wife's Mercedes GL, but the 911 is fun, and I can take it both to the track and to my kid's school. If I didn't need the back seats for my kids I would be driving a GT3
Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Johnny V
Instructor

These renderings look very good!
Got them from here:

wildspeed 998 renderings

Old 04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
tourbillon001
Intermediate

Default I feel the same way

Originally Posted by fer2367
+1...it can be a (fun) family car....In my case, unfortunately, no Gallardo, just the wife's Mercedes GL, but the 911 is fun, and I can take it both to the track and to my kid's school. If I didn't need the back seats for my kids I would be driving a GT3
about the GT3, although it seems like those who have had both, find you really are not giving up much performance with the S and you get a lot more comfort.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

Is it me, or does that front end look kind of ferrari-ish? Like the 599.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if thats what the 998will look like im glad im keeping my 997

Quick Reply: 998 pics