Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 993 today! Wow..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Virtual Surgeon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the good fortune (and an understanding wife) to have daily access to my 993TT, 997 C4S supercharged Cab and a 2004 heavily modified GT3. They are all so different, which plays well into my daily schizophrenia. For me, when I turn the 993TT on, just the vibration of the engine at idol puts a big smile on my face. It is a very tactile stimulus that radiates up your spine to your brain. You then add the exhaust note and the smile gets bigger. The acceleration and handling is to die for. My 997 is the elegant lady of the bunch. Without the supercharger, I was not as happy with the the car. It felt very underpowered. Of course my mental library has a tendency to reference the Turbo (unfairly I might add). The suspension on the 997 has been sweetened so the car now meets my personal satisfaction. It is a blast to drive around town. If I had to take an extended trip this would be the obvious choice of the lot. The GT3 is the sleeper. Not so much fun around town. But, you put it on the track and holy sh_ _! I do not know how many other Porsche schizophrenics are out there, but this is one illness that I don't want treatment for.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
I heard the feeling is even more raw when you hit early 70's to late 60's
Newer cars have become so refined, they've lost character. More refinement for racing makes sense, but not necessarily for something that is entertainment. By the time you design a car for 170mph, you'll pay for that during the 99% of driving you do at slower speeds.

I wouldn't mind a car, similar to the boxster, lighter, with about 180hp, pleasant but minimal interior, designed for fun and throwing around. It would get decent fuel mileage. With narrower tires it would be fun on a track or autocross...but have a galvanized body and current parts availability. Will see what happens with the new 356, should that ever come to market.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I wouldn't mind a car, similar to the boxster, lighter, with about 180hp, pleasant but minimal interior, designed for fun and throwing around. It would get decent fuel mileage. With narrower tires it would be fun on a track or autocross...but have a galvanized body and current parts availability. Will see what happens with the new 356, should that ever come to market.
Sounds exactly like a Miata or an S2000. Fantastically fun cars if you can get over the uncoolness factor.

Sadly Porsche is now caught up in the horsepower/top speed wars , which inevitably leads to cars that are less fun at the low speeds that are safe/practical.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM
cbzzoom

My dream car is something like the Singer 911 -

http://www.singervehicledesign.com/

light weight, classic car that's just fun to chuck around, but with modern safety and engine bits.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Lotus Elise?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 578 Posts

Get a Boxster Spyder and de-tune it . JK. But a Boxster Spyder should fit this bill. No AC, no radio, lighter and handles like its on rails. Open top and a nice noise.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Sounds exactly like a Miata or an S2000. Fantastically fun cars if you can get over the uncoolness factor...
Nuthin uncool about the s2000

Name:  s2k_nsx.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  109.2 KB
Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As one possibly interested in a 993, I have a question for you: How long do you think parts will be available? Never had an "older" car before.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
As one possibly interested in a 993, I have a question for you: How long do you think parts will be available? Never had an "older" car before.
Forever. Or until it's illegal for us to individually own cars? If my cousin can find a market in stuff for 30 910s and 907s that were built ~45 years ago, production cars built in these numbers aren't even worth worrying about. Plus, nothing really breaks. Now if you're obsessing that an Aerokit 2 rear spoiler might not be available if you get rear-ended, then yeah that's possible at some point.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before I bought my 996, I did try both the Miata & Honda 2000. I couldn't put the seats back far enough to be comfortable. Assumed that a Boxster would be the ticket. Came close to buying one without driving it. Glad I didn't. Drove one at the dealership & found I just couldn't make friends with its ride. So, back to a 911. Wrote a check and took it home with me. No regrets. But it's more than I need.

May be grounds for kicking me off 6-Speed, but I'd even consider an MR-2 style car with a VW turbo diesel. If the Caterham was more than a dry-weather car, a turbo-diesel might be interesting in that...until you have a large vehicle tailgating you on the freeway sometime.

I sold my 993 because the [lack of] ergonomics drove me crazy.

But as long as I keep my current 911, it doesn't depreciate. So, no changes for now.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
cbzzoom

May be grounds for kicking me off 6-Speed, but I'd even consider an MR-2 style car with a VW turbo diesel. If the Caterham was more than a dry-weather car, a turbo-diesel might be interesting in that...until you have a large vehicle tailgating you on the freeway sometime.
Yeah 100% I'm right with you. I wanted something smaller, lighter, more nimble and raw than the 997. I don't really need to ever go over 100, what I want is more *fun* between 20 and 70. A Seven or a Lotus is just about the perfect driver's car, so nifty and so much fun, even taking twisties at 40-60 mph they are such an incredible laugh. But they are just too uncomfortable, terrible in the rain, on rough road, and just punishing to sit in.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see the praises for the 993! Before buying my 993 cab, I drove 996 and 997 cabs. All are fabulous cars. What most struck me about the 997 was how easy the car was to drive around town. No drama. Ample ac on a hot day with the top down. Pot holes and rough roads handled as well as any sports sedan. I felt like I was riving a Lexus SC. I did not have a chance to really open it up, but from the perormance figures, it is an animal.

The 993 is a great blend of old and new. With EFI, the car starts immediately. It has a decent radio, power seats, heated seats etc... But it has the genes of a longhood. I thoroughly enjoy driving down a country road with the top down at 40 mph. I feel the bumps, I enjoy the music from the exhaust and intake. So many sounds and vibrations. At speed, I always worry about the possibility of losing the rear if I lift, but the multilink suspension has made it pretty docile. I love it!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my 993.

But am sick of hearing that 997's drive like a Lexus. Show me a Lexus that drives like a 997 and I'll buy one.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 9 Posts

the 993 will always have parts available. It holds so many special places in 911 yore that
you should always be able to get parts. I do love the thing, but after having the
2 GT3s and this 997.2 PDK it would be hard for me to go back. Porsche hit a home run
with this 911.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May I stop over for a minute?

Originally Posted by Chris C.
The 993 is a beautiful and sturdy car. I owned two for 5 total years and loved them! The issue was power - they just couldn't get any more ooomph without a turbo from the air cooled 3.6. When 350Zs came out that were just as fast as the 911, I knew I'd need to upgrade. Still, gorgeous and great handling car! I'd own one again in a heartbeat if I had the garage space.
Most 993 owners (myself included) will never be a good enough to drive their cars at even 8 tenths. To your point, it won't win many drag races, and the U.S. sales of the muscle car industry is many times the sales of the sports car industry.

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I could say the same thing about my old Mazda MX-5 Miata. And I don't mean this to take anything away from the 993. Some cars are just so fun to drive that power (or prestige) isn't important. But for some people, there's always a lust for more power. Different strokes for different folks.
+1. Last car was a Miata. Ultimate for driving a "slow car fast." Wish I still had it. Its sale basically only covered the suspension, wheels and tires on my 993!

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Yeah 100% I'm right with you. I wanted something smaller, lighter, more nimble and raw than the 997. I don't really need to ever go over 100, what I want is more *fun* between 20 and 70. A Seven or a Lotus is just about the perfect driver's car, so nifty and so much fun, even taking twisties at 40-60 mph they are such an incredible laugh.
In congested, urban areas, 20 to 70 is most accessible, and even a 993 is "too much car" for that. There really is no place near me to properly stretch the legs of a 993TT.

Originally Posted by texas911
But am sick of hearing that 997's drive like a Lexus. Show me a Lexus that drives like a 997 and I'll buy one.
I consider that to be a compliment to its reliability and smoothness when you're not pushing it. A welcome surprise in a true sports car...

Last edited by dcdude; 04-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove a 993 today! Wow..