Sponsored by:

Paintless Dent Repair - SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:49 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Paintless Dent Repair - SF Bay Area

Cross-post from GT3 Forum...(hope that's OK!)

I have a couple small dents which I've been told are repairable using PDR methods. Looking for references related to a company called "Mel's Dent Removal" which is used by Michael-Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek. Anybody had experience with Mel?

I have no experience with DPR methods and my research indicates it is a true art, if done by a skilled and experienced technician. Finding the right guy seems to be the key.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er

I have a couple small dents which I've been told are repairable using PDR methods. Looking for references related to a company called "Mel's Dent Removal" which is used by Michael-Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek. Anybody had experience with Mel?

I have no experience with DPR methods and my research indicates it is a true art, if done by a skilled and experienced technician. Finding the right guy seems to be the key.

Thanks in advance.
No experience with Mel's but have had a occasion to use Dent Dynamics in Santa Rosa (maybe too far for you to go) and was extremely satisfied. Point is, you are right, finding the right guy is crucial; the tech who worked on my car was indeed an artist.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't remember the name of the guy who did my door, but he was extremely good. I'll check for his info when I get home.
Check out Yelp reviews as well.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks in advance.
If Mel's used by Stead that's good enough for me. Stead quality dealership.

In fact any dent removal company used by a dealer a good one. New cars get little dents and the PDR guy pays a visit to the dealership every so often. In fact he probably hits err wrong word stops at several different dealerships to take care of the accumulated dents in cars.

Sort of like a clear bra installer who liives out in Tracy and comes through Livermore and points west every so often stopping at various body shops and dealers that have cars lined up for him.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:47 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys. WC, please post that name if you can find it.

I'm not satisfied that just because Stead uses Mel means Mel is good enough. I'm sure someone has first hand experience with him and I'm hoping to get that input.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. WC, please post that name if you can find it.

I'm not satisfied that just because Stead uses Mel means Mel is good enough. I'm sure someone has first hand experience with him and I'm hoping to get that input.
It never hurts to get additional and perhaps more concrete confirmation of a shop's quality of work before you use the shop.

Best of luck finding of what you're looking for.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently had my ex's BMW in for some PDR at Mathews-Carlsen in Palo Alto. If I remember correctly, and that's questionable these days, they said they used an outside guy for PDR because his skills are off the charts. The end result was kinda freaky amazing, I do admit. I mean... how?

Might want to call the guys at Mathews-Carlsen and ask who they use for PDR. I can't imagine that they would have the slightest reason to not share the PDR guy's info. with you.

GL
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Great input. DentPro (Campbell) seems to be getting the best comments, but I'll confirm with mathews-carlson. In case seats/panels/roll bar need to be removed, it would be good to be at a qualified body shop and have the PDR guy come in to do the work.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Great input. DentPro (Campbell) seems to be getting the best comments, but I'll confirm with mathews-carlson. In case seats/panels/roll bar need to be removed, it would be good to be at a qualified body shop and have the PDR guy come in to do the work.

Thanks!
I have used DentPro in Campbell over the past six years on four cars. Roger , the owner, does excellent work. These repairs are an art and long experience counts.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Dent Pro in San Ramon...magic
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Yes, give Paul at Mathews-Carlsen a call, or better yet go down to the shop and let Paul take a look of your car. Paul is a straightforward goodguy to deal with.

With best regards,
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 PM
PVP997
Advanced

Dura Blend - Steve Kubota (He trained at BMW factory repairing cars on the assy line). Have used him several times. 408.233.6133
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stuart Ward, brother-in-law Craig Watkins (Flying Lizard's chief engineer and who IS Smart Racing), does it out of Napa. Stuart's a long time Spec 911 racer, too. Not sure how to get a hold of him though!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Great input guys. Thanks very much!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Go to Fremont Porsche or BMW and ask for Blake. He is the ultimate perfectionist and can get dings out of things you would not believe to a level of perfection that I have never seen with anyone else. Besides servicing the BMW and Porsched dealers in fremont, he gets calls from collectors and insurance companies to restore exotics to as new condition.

Quick Reply: Paintless Dent Repair - SF Bay Area