Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Logbook - anyone have the software working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Electronic Logbook - anyone have the software working?

I finally got around to trying to install the PC side of the package, that is the software that sits on your computer and can make off-board use of the data collected. Well, it installed ok (no reported problems).

Trouble is it doesn't run!

WTF?

First I thought it was just not Windows 7 compatible... ok, I can see that.
So I enabled Windows XP compatibility mode for the installed program... [BUZ!].. sorry, no dice.

Ok, I fired up my virtualbox actual Windows XP SP3 computer, installed the software there... so its on a real XP box... [BUZ!] .. fail again.

So my question is, has anyone gotten this software to work?
Its PC Version 1.0 from 4.2005.. so it is ancient.

My question is, what configuration of software does one need to make it go. It should be a walk in the park, its a trivial application.

The error message that comes up when I launch the installed Porsche Logbook application is the same in all cases (Win7, Win7-XP Compatibility, WinXP SP3) :

Debugger detected - please close it down and restart!
For some debuggers, such as SoftIce, you must restart
this machine without it enabled to run this application!

What crap technology did Porsche embed in this software that it is so friggen brittle?

The only other software installed on the XP machine, for example, is Acrobat Reader 4 and Bentley's eBahn electronic service manual for my 2002 VW New Beetle. There is diddly in the process list that looks out of place (not to get too PC technical here).

I guess its off to bitch at the dealer since Porsche AG cannot be bothered to provide software support for their software online... like, hey, a new version of the software for modern operating systems. Still, I'd think that an 2005 software package would run on Windows XP.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
rookec911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you crack this at all - I am having the sam eproblem on Windows 7.

It seems to install without errors - then when I try to run the program from the desktop icon ..... nothing
Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Avoided it because it wasn't MAC compatible.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

No luck yet. Its not even PC compatible.

This tool should not be that closely held. We should have the ability to download the installer form the Porsche website, which by now, must be Windows 7 compatible.

I'll be pressuring my dealer service department in the next month when I take the car in.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
rookec911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default logbook on Widowas7

Agreed it should be availabe from the web site as well as being kept updated to run on the latest Window (yes and Mac).

My dealer got it loaded on XP/SP3, no problem.
SAw one other blog that suggested turning off all anti virus software - sinc ethis is old software apparetnly some files can appear 'bad' to latest virus 'rules'. As yet this has not helped. I will keep trying and beating up on the dealer.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Minok
Drifting

Given that Windows was put on sale in October 2009, and available to developers long before that, it is not an acceptable answer to not have a Win7 compatible version of the software.

The problem I encountered is that the software refuses to run (it has some super sensitive internal software to prevent reverse engineering that reacts badly to running on Windows 7 (direct, as an XP compatibility mode application, or in an XP virtual machine (using something like virtual box).

I know that Porsche takes the view of "we won't fix functionality problems for the current customers, just for future cars" in most cases, but here we are talking about a feature we purchased that has never worked (unless you have a dedicated windows XP computer) and for which there are NO requirements shown on the configurator or order form. So I'm putting my foot down on this one with them, for no other reason than I can.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
tvdt
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the answer from my dealer:

Apparently, there is an updated Log Book software which will run under Windows 7 etc. on the German Porsche site. Here's the link.

http://www.porsche.com/germany/fahrtenbuch/

Installed it on my Windows 7, 64-bit,Trend MicroVirus, it works! Haven't figured out how to let my PCM know about Fuel Stops...
Old 05-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I guess we have to remember that Porsche is an auto company, and not a s/w company. Porsche AG simply doesn't make this sort of thing a priority.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:34 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

hmmm - did you guys get the Logbook option on your PCM? I didn't - wonder if it can be added?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I guess we have to remember that Porsche is an auto company, and not a s/w company. Porsche AG simply doesn't make this sort of thing a priority.
No, they are a software company too.

Given that they are using insane activation codes to enable hardware parts in the cars, an authentication method usually reserved to high-end vertical market software.

I'd buy it if Porsche AG would not act like a software company in controlling its hardware with software interlocks.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by tvdt
Got the answer from my dealer:

Apparently, there is an updated Log Book software which will run under Windows 7 etc. on the German Porsche site. Here's the link.

http://www.porsche.com/germany/fahrtenbuch/

Installed it on my Windows 7, 64-bit,Trend MicroVirus, it works! Haven't figured out how to let my PCM know about Fuel Stops...

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Something to do when I get back home.

Quick Reply: Electronic Logbook - anyone have the software working?