Sponsored by:

Check oil Level?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check oil Level?

I was filling up my c2s at the gas station. I turned it on and it said check oil level. I drove it home and did the electronic oil level check. Said the oil was at the top mark of the recommended level. Hasn't happened again. Is this normal for the oil sensor to be messing up like this once in a while? Strange false alarm?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally just took delivery of a new turbo yesterday and an hour after driving home, it told me to check the oil. When I checked it, it read at the minimum. After letting it sit for an hour I checked it again and it said maximum. So I continued on my way, and an hour later again told me to check the oil level. The manual says this either means it is at the minimum level or significantly overfilled. I am starting to wonder if it simply means faulty sensor.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the lack of a dipstick simply frustrating. Here we are with a car that can cost upwards of $150,000+ with no easy way to just do a pre-drive check of the oil level or color. I know the color has nothing to do with the actual condition but us older guys like to take a look at the oil on the dipstick.

Its not just Porsche but BMW's have no dipsticks in most if not all of their cars. Can't speak for MB or others but if this is a trend its a bad one.

I know that my '89 Carrera 3.2 oil gage is telling the truth as I can verify it against the dipstick and I can take a quick look at the oil as well.

David
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
cbzzoom

It's annoying and you have to be careful. I once over-filled my car because it told me "check oil" and then when I added a quart it was flashing over the top bar. Urgh.

Now I have a system that seems to work pretty well :

Always check the oil level in exactly the same situation.
Heat the car up to operating temp ; oil over 200 F and give it some mustard
Park in a flat place
Immediately start the oil level check

That seems to give a consistent reading. The car has to be at full temp and has to have sat for exactly the same amount of time. I also only fill to the middle of the gauge just in case it's reading a bit wrong, I don't want to accidentally overfill.

The hard thing is once in a while the car will decide to pop up a "warning! check oil level!" and you kind of panic, but you have to just ignore it and wait until you can get a reliable reading and see what the real level is.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
It's annoying and you have to be careful. I once over-filled my car because it told me "check oil" and then when I added a quart it was flashing over the top bar. Urgh.

Now I have a system that seems to work pretty well :

Always check the oil level in exactly the same situation.
Heat the car up to operating temp ; oil over 200 F and give it some mustard
Park in a flat place
Immediately start the oil level check

That seems to give a consistent reading. The car has to be at full temp and has to have sat for exactly the same amount of time. I also only fill to the middle of the gauge just in case it's reading a bit wrong, I don't want to accidentally overfill.

The hard thing is once in a while the car will decide to pop up a "warning! check oil level!" and you kind of panic, but you have to just ignore it and wait until you can get a reliable reading and see what the real level is.
Right you are...but never add oil in more than 0.4l increments, which is about the equivalent of one segment/bar. Much easier to add more than take it out.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

What's the best way to drain a little should one overfill?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Right you are...but never add oil in more than 0.4l increments, which is about the equivalent of one segment/bar. Much easier to add more than take it out.
Yeah I know that now! Even if it's flashing off the bottom, only add half a quart and check again, you might be surprised to find it's now over the top!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:45 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
What's the best way to drain a little should one overfill?
On the .1 you can take off the oil filter housing to lose about a half quart to a quart. Do it on a cold engine only that's sat for a while so the majority of oil has fallen to the pan. It's messy but I think is the best option.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Yesterday I had the family in the car to drive to the beach. It's about 30 minutes of freeway and then about 30 minutes of nice twisty roads. After starting the car I got the "Check Oil Level" warning. A first for me since I'm pretty on it about checking every fill up. I knew I was getting into the lower end of the preferred level and I went on a pretty spirited drive a few days before so being low wasn't out of nowhere. I hopped on the highway for about 5 minutes to double check with the oil to temp. Sure enough, the oil level was flashing at the bottom bar. I figured a qrt would raise it by about 2.5 bars, perfect. Added the qrt. Checked it and just as I guessed. It was on the hash mark just above center.

This morning, filled up the tank again and checked the oil. Level read all the way up. Drove for a few more minutes and checked it again after quick errand. Level right in the middle. I'm just going to go with the law of averages.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

I have experienced much of the same. I think you the car needs to be on a very level ground to get a accurate reading
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

As with everything, you will get better understanding these things over time and as you gain familiarity with the quirks of the car. Since my engine burned a lot of oil for a long time I got to be good at monitoring the oil gauge as I drove it. I check the oil level at every engine start. Mentally, you can do some trending. I have found that as the oil level burns down to where you are consistently at the bottom block illuminated, that it will take about 1 full quart to run it all the way back to the top. I used to add oil in 1/2 quart increments, but never bother anymore. I simply add it a quart at a time.

After driving air cooled Porsches for so long, it's a bit of a relief to only have a system with 8-9 quarts in it!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Hi Edgy
Winter is finally over here in Nudehampster. I got the Pcar out. Regarding the oil level. I check it cold before every time in my garage before I drive it. It is one block donwn now after about 2000miles. I am planning to add about 1 quart of oil when the level gets down to one block illuminated. Is this appropriate? Also I usually don't check it when it is warm since it takes up to 6 min to get a reading. Should I check it warm to to get another data point. Thanks
Nice to see your nice blue Pcar again after a long winter.
Constantine

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As with everything, you will get better understanding these things over time and as you gain familiarity with the quirks of the car. Since my engine burned a lot of oil for a long time I got to be good at monitoring the oil gauge as I drove it. I check the oil level at every engine start. Mentally, you can do some trending. I have found that as the oil level burns down to where you are consistently at the bottom block illuminated, that it will take about 1 full quart to run it all the way back to the top. I used to add oil in 1/2 quart increments, but never bother anymore. I simply add it a quart at a time.

After driving air cooled Porsches for so long, it's a bit of a relief to only have a system with 8-9 quarts in it!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Constantine,

Glad to hear you survived another Nude Hamster winter! It takes about 1 quart to refill it when it it down to the last bar. I used to refill at the half way point with 1/2 quart but just wait until it gets to the bottom and do it with a full quart--since i'm tracking oil mileage it works out easier.

I would certainly check it after you have warmed up the engine and the oil has expanded. I simply check mine with every engine start.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Hi Dan
I checked the oil level this evening after driving home from work. It took 4:45 for the reading. It read a full 4 bars. I guess that it may be more accurate to measure the oil after it is heated due to expansion as you mentioned. I measured the oil cold this morning and it read 3 bars. I guess I am good for now.

I am going to a PCA car control clinic this weekend. It should be fun learning how to drive my 997 C2. It will be a big difference compared to my previous 964 C4. We are expecting rain at the track. Should be interesting. I hope your weekend is good.

Constantine
Old 05-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
I know every 1600 miles or so I'll need to top off with another quart and a half. So if I get a warning message way too soon, I'll repeat the readings to make sure its confirmed.

Knowing your particular engine's oil burn rate will help knowing when you are likely to need oil.

Quick Reply: Check oil Level?