Sponsored by:

$285 for oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
It's entirely up to each owner, however, I agree with this.
Why not spend a couple bucks and make sure it's done correctly.
We're talking about $100,000 ++ cars here.

In addition, as stated, it's not free to do it yourself with the supplies
you need to purchase.

Plus, if you're able to own a 997, your hourly time has to be worth something.

Also, consider the cost of ruining your Brooks Brothers oxford shirt, your
Polo Chinos, and your Brooks Brothers shell cordovan tassel loafers.
Oil and filter are at most $75. Taking the car to the dealer takes up that precious time as well. Given how easy a 997 oil change is, it should only take maybe 90 minutes.

Even wanna be snobs such as yourself can probably find a pair of old jeans and a t-shirt.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just paid $159.00 for oil change today at the dealer. I feel lucky now, except for my 02 sensor problem

John
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, nowadays it will show up on your carfax that you had a service at an authorized dealer. This is good not only for resale but also if you had any major problem with the car down the road where PCNA wanted to look into the service history, they could verift the date and nature of the service.

Also, aftermarket warranties "require" that any service be done by a qualified shop. I am not saying you cant do the oil change yourself but it may not meet the requirement of some of the warranty contracts.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

No worry, I'm not going there.. I am taking my car in to my local friendly race shop to do the oil change while they do the tech inspection for PCA DE.. no car wash there.. !

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Do NOT let them wash your car!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a 18 bay shop and can tell you that there is nothing special that a dealer can do 'while they're in there'. Jack the car up, check for free play on the wheels (grab at 12 and 6 - shake, grab at 9 and 3 - shake), check the air filter (change at around 15-20,000 mi depending on environment), drain oil, remove filter (wrench can be bought at any shop), replace seal on filter, torque to 19 ft/lbs, replace drain plug with new washer, torque to 37 ft/lbs, fill with 7 Litres of oil, check oil, top up again (if required, will probably take 8-8.5L).

Last but not least, check the torque on all your wheel nuts
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When you do this stuff yourself simply document it and learn from each thing you do. These cars are so simple to service even an OWNER could do it.
Exactly!! DIY oils changes on these cars is so simple.

I just don't understand those that think the dealer does something magically special when changing the oil. I guess it's the justification needed to fork over $200+.

My car has never seen the stealership for an oil change..I've done them all myself.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

This will be the first oil change that I will ever have done at a dealership, but also this is my first $100k+ car and 911 for that matter. I feel that a car of this nature should be taken to the dealership, because if something goes wrong from it, their is no finger pointing, it's on Porsche. I will be 40 in a week and have never changed the oil on a car myself and not about to learn on my 911!
I am great w/ motorcycles and used to tear down engines even as a kid. I changed pistons, rings, reeds, pipes, oil changes, etc, etc, but never carried those mechanical skills into cars. I guess the lack of easy access turned me off. Motorcycles are like a broad that has easy access! Also I do not have the time to do it myself, I am lucky if I have the time to drive it. I have a wife, 3 kids (5 and younger) and own a large construction company, so "me" time is very limited. Anybody from the nyc metro area here? Saturday we are doing a Vineyard run in the Hamptons on Long Island.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
This will be the first oil change that I will ever have done at a dealership, but also this is my first $100k+ car and 911 for that matter. I feel that a car of this nature should be taken to the dealership, because if something goes wrong from it, their is no finger pointing, it's on Porsche. I will be 40 in a week and have never changed the oil on a car myself and not about to learn on my 911!
I am great w/ motorcycles and used to tear down engines even as a kid. I changed pistons, rings, reeds, pipes, oil changes, etc, etc, but never carried those mechanical skills into cars. I guess the lack of easy access turned me off. Motorcycles are like a broad that has easy access! Also I do not have the time to do it myself, I am lucky if I have the time to drive it. I have a wife, 3 kids (5 and younger) and own a large construction company, so "me" time is very limited. Anybody from the nyc metro area here? Saturday we are doing a Vineyard run in the Hamptons on Long Island.
Your points are well taken. Somehow on a 100K car it needs to be pampered.

Ultimately though, us DIY'ers use the same oil and filters, oil plugs and torque settings as the dealership.

As far as the time, the way I analyzed it is by the time I drive to the dealership, check-in, wait in their lounge for them to finish (or get a loaner and all that paperwork), check out (pay), I could have done 4 or 5 oil changes myself.

Enjoy your machine....they are awesome cars!!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
Your points are well taken. Somehow on a 100K car it needs to be pampered.

Ultimately though, us DIY'ers use the same oil and filters, oil plugs and torque settings as the dealership.

As far as the time, the way I analyzed it is by the time I drive to the dealership, check-in, wait in their lounge for them to finish (or get a loaner and all that paperwork), check out (pay), I could have done 4 or 5 oil changes myself.

Enjoy your machine....they are awesome cars!!
Thanks Dario and I am dropping it off anyway, not waiting. Dealership is 15 min away.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
big_willy
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

$285 seems reasonable - in Toronto, Can - dealer wants $400 CND.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As always someone has to show up and tell us how their time is so valuable that they will take it to the dealership....and since the car cost so much it must be taken to the dealership.
Good bless their ignorance.....and wealth. With so much on this topic....next time someone once to discuss it, do a search first.
abe
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dario and I am dropping it off anyway, not waiting. Dealership is 15 min away.
You're welcome.

You know, I thought about it a little more (great topic) and I think one of the main reasons I do what I can do myself (limited) is it's relaxing to me.

My profession can be stressful, so when I do menial jobs like reloading bullets, mowing my lawns or minor car maintenance, it actually relaxes me while giving me that "I just accomplished something" feeling.

Weird.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid $145 to dealer for first two. Doing myself next time because I want to. A friend and '09 C2S owner has a lift in his garage so we'll put it to use. He just turned over 2k mi and wants to change his own also.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're welcome.

You know, I thought about it a little more (great topic) and I think one of the main reasons I do what I can do myself (limited) is it's relaxing to me.

My profession can be stressful, so when I do menial jobs like reloading bullets, mowing my lawns or minor car maintenance, it actually relaxes me while giving me that "I just accomplished something" feeling.

Weird.
Not weird at all. I feel the same way.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Weird.
Not weird. I agree. I've been reading this thread and I keep thinking; it's not the money, it's not a chore, I actually enjoy changing the oil or tinkering with my car. It IS relaxing, takes my mind off other things, yet at the same time gives me the sense of accomplishment you mention. It's one of the things I enjoy about being a car guy and owning a special vehicle.

Quick Reply: $285 for oil change!