Sponsored by:

$285 for oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Default $285 for oil change!

Wow that seems expensive! That is what my dealer quoted me today. I am reluctant to bring it there on principal, but if a local garage botches it up I will be left swinging by Porsche for damage, correct? I think it pays to have the dealer do it for thhat reason alone. What you guys think?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There was a three page thread on this exact subject from a few weeks ago. No sense reenacting it here...

See: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...right-now.html
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it yourself, I just did, very easy. I was quoted $600 from my local Porsche dealership, $285 is not that bad.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ay-photos.html
Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I go to a reputable local Indie Porsche shop $190
Old 03-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

hell bring the thing over and I'll do it for a case of beer.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil change on the Porsche is pretty trivial. You could take it to any corner garage and get it done for $20 labor + buy your own oil. No need for a special Porsche mechanic to do it.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

You're lucky. My dealer charged me $800 a couple of years ago for a 20,000 mi. "service", which amounted to an oil change and cabin filter change. He wanted a few hundred more for a brake fluid flush! I agree with others, for a straight oil change, I do my own now.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

When you do this stuff yourself simply document it and learn from each thing you do. These cars are so simple to service even an OWNER could do it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But, don't you run the risk of getting your hands dirty if you
change the oil yourself?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife got an e-mail coupon from our local Porsche dealer - $99 special, oil change, wash, detailing.. the dealer is a Premier Porsche dealership.. so maybe the key is to sign up for the mailing list?

I think the fine print does that say that it is for up to 5 qt. of synthetic oil only, so I am guessing that you'd need to pay for the extra oil.. but it should still be under $150..

I'm sure this is a promotion and not the normal price... but if you are willing to drive up to CT.. let me know, I will forward you the coupon!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
My wife got an e-mail coupon from our local Porsche dealer - $99 special, oil change, wash, detailing.. the dealer is a Premier Porsche dealership.. so maybe the key is to sign up for the mailing list?

I think the fine print does that say that it is for up to 5 qt. of synthetic oil only, so I am guessing that you'd need to pay for the extra oil.. but it should still be under $150..

I'm sure this is a promotion and not the normal price... but if you are willing to drive up to CT.. let me know, I will forward you the coupon!
Take them up on it and bring an additional 4 quarts of your own oil.....before they charge you $15/Q. A little misleading since all P cars these days require more than 5 quarts.
abe
Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, kind of silly to limit it to 5 qt.! (it is in tiny print but I read it.. !)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Wow that seems expensive! That is what my dealer quoted me today. I am reluctant to bring it there on principal, but if a local garage botches it up I will be left swinging by Porsche for damage, correct? I think it pays to have the dealer do it for thhat reason alone. What you guys think?
Things to consider:
1) do you have the time and inclination to do it yourself... it may be a lot cheaper and simpler if you do it yourself: you need to buy a filter, new filter housing washer, new drain plug crush washer, and new oil. Plus have a way to collect the old oil, remove the drain plug and filter housing (see other threads on the subject)

2) The complexity depends on what type of car you have. 997.2 Carerra/Cab/Targa are pretty easy. Turbos and other special motors and other generations may be more complex or not. Some engines may have 2 drain plugs, the filter housing in a less convenient location, etc.

3) The dealer, I'm told, also does a quick glance over everything visible to make sure there are no other issues (they don't dig into anything, but do look over the engine bay), and should reset the service reminder interval in the on board computer. So some of the extra cost comes from that.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Things to consider:
1) do you have the time and inclination to do it yourself... it may be a lot cheaper and simpler if you do it yourself: you need to buy a filter, new filter housing washer, new drain plug crush washer, and new oil. Plus have a way to collect the old oil, remove the drain plug and filter housing (see other threads on the subject)

2) The complexity depends on what type of car you have. 997.2 Carerra/Cab/Targa are pretty easy. Turbos and other special motors and other generations may be more complex or not. Some engines may have 2 drain plugs, the filter housing in a less convenient location, etc.

3) The dealer, I'm told, also does a quick glance over everything visible to make sure there are no other issues (they don't dig into anything, but do look over the engine bay), and should reset the service reminder interval in the on board computer. So some of the extra cost comes from that.
It's entirely up to each owner, however, I agree with this.
Why not spend a couple bucks and make sure it's done correctly.
We're talking about $100,000 ++ cars here.

In addition, as stated, it's not free to do it yourself with the supplies
you need to purchase.

Plus, if you're able to own a 997, your hourly time has to be worth something.

Also, consider the cost of ruining your Brooks Brothers oxford shirt, your
Polo Chinos, and your Brooks Brothers shell cordovan tassel loafers.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan

Do NOT let them wash your car!

Quick Reply: $285 for oil change!