Sponsored by:

$285 for oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Thegman
For $285.00 you should get an oil change and sex! My local dealer did the oil change for $177.00. Once the car is off warranty, I'll do it myself for around $60.00.
Do Porsche mechanics gets the same rate regardless of location? Could have something to do with it. I am in the NYC metro area, where everything is at a higher rate compared to the most of the country.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always considered it relaxing and fun to do the little things around a car that don't require a dealerships
input..

When I'm done with the oil I can spend another hour polishing the undercarriage.. Maybe even take a little nap down there....sleeping on a creeper is great...
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

Reasons I change my own oil:
1. Dealer or COMPETENT indy shop is a 5 hour roundtrip drive away.
2. I can change it myself in less than 45 minutes.
3. If I change it myself the sump will NOT be overfilled, which is what happened the 1 time I did have it changed at the dealer and every time I took my BMW's to the BMW dealer.
4. If I change it myself I know that the drain plug is fitted with a new seal ring and torqued correctly. The same with the filter housing.
5. If I change the oil myself I save money.
6. If I change it myself I will be inspecting things under the car and it the engine compartment, Maybe I'll see someting wrong before it becomes a major problem.

But after saying all the above, If you don't want to DIY I don't know understand why you would post a complaint about what a dealer or Indy shop charges.

If you are unable to DIY due to lack of facilities, physical reasons, etc. Then you have good reason to complain about the cost.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my car will soon be out of warranty I too will soon be doing my own oil changes. In regards to the parts that would need to be torqued down what are the torque specs for these items so I know when I go to do my first DIY oil change?

I agree with the rest of the crowd, there is a sense of accomplishment and relaxation to the experience of tinkering with the car myself.

About taking the oil/filters some place for disposal the local Wal-Marts around me take these things in at no cost. (Oklahoma City)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
helispud
Pro

Originally Posted by atr911
I run a 18 bay shop and can tell you that there is nothing special that a dealer can do 'while they're in there'. Jack the car up, check for free play on the wheels (grab at 12 and 6 - shake, grab at 9 and 3 - shake), check the air filter (change at around 15-20,000 mi depending on environment), drain oil, remove filter (wrench can be bought at any shop), replace seal on filter, torque to 19 ft/lbs, replace drain plug with new washer, torque to 37 ft/lbs, fill with 7 Litres of oil, check oil, top up again (if required, will probably take 8-8.5L).

Last but not least, check the torque on all your wheel nuts
As posted above Filter cup 19 ft/lbs, drainplug 37 ft/lbs. Make sure thr drain plug screws in easily by hand (not crossthreaded) use a torque wrench and you should never have to buy a new drain plug.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM
helispud
Pro

Now simsgw (Gary) has a valid point about packing the used oil to a disposal site. It's easy for me as even if I change the oil in my home garage, I just put the oil in my pickup truck and dump in in my farms 500 gallon used oil tank, which the local asphalt plant picks up every 2 months. Sometimes I forget that very few of us live on a farm.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Altogether now:

Hmmm. I'm not sure your 'exactly' was responding to the post by atr911, but you were both talking about the same chore, so I'll answer you both at once.

First, let's add to that description a two-and-a-half gallon container, greasy naturally, so I must put it in a plastic garbage bag before it goes into my daily driver Carrera S; lash it down somehow since I don't like fifteen to twenty pounds bouncing around loose even when it isn't an unholy mess waiting to happen; drive it to the place I bought the oil (refer to the message describing the protocol for that dumping process); and do all this in my hypothetical bluejeans and old shoes. Sitting in them on the leather seats of my $100,000 car.

Folks, I love cars, but that ain't gonna happen. Even I could still lift a container holding eight quarts of oil, I wouldn't consider it. I'd have to buy an old pick-up truck just to have something I'd be willing to sit in with the sort of clothes I'd be wearing while doing that used oil return mission. I used to change my own main bearings on an MG, and once the whole engine. I appreciate the joys of sharing a garage floor with your favorite toy. Honest I do, but the zen of auto repair work dissipates quickly with the arthritis of age. Giving a dealer a couple of hour's pay or even the cost of a pair of pants to do such things for me is a bargain we make for being allowed to get this old.

Get a piggy bank and save your nickels. You will be wanting to pay other people to do such things eventually. And it will seem like day after tomorrow.

Gary
lol. I've been changing the oil in all my cars all my life, and my piggy bank has always had enough nickels to pay someone to do it. DIY oil changes has never been about $$ for me, which is an ancillary issue.

As far as carrying an 8gt container of oil in your expensive car, or buying an oil truck, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I put the old oil back in the qt containers and bring them in the box they came in to Wal-Mart. I don't make a special trip either. I wait until the next time I'm going to Wal-Mart. Simple and easy.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Actually paid $250 w/ my PCA discount, they gave me 15% off and a free wash in and out, even washed the mats. That is an easy $30 near me. So over all w/ the wash, it was about a 30% savings. Me happy!

PS, I bought 4 Cayennes there ( S models) and now the 911 from this dealership, so I am a preferred customer.For the parts and labor for my PSE and Short throw and car cover, I was given 25% off.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
lol. I've been changing the oil in all my cars all my life, and my piggy bank has always had enough nickels to pay someone to do it. DIY oil changes has never been about $$ for me.
When yearly oil changes eclipse annual insurance premiums, you must consider the $$.
I started changing my own oil after being quoted $600 from my local Porsche dealer.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
When yearly oil changes eclipse annual insurance premiums, you must consider the $$.
I started changing my own oil after being quoted $600 from my local Porsche dealer.
True, Todd. The $$ for dealership oil changes is nothing more than throwing away your money. For me, DIY oil changes is relaxing, less time consuming than driving to the dealership, AND saves money..
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

How the hell do you ay so little and for a turbo no less?? I am paying close to $2k w Hagerty, but again location determines the premiums as well. Even though I live in the burbs of NYC, it's still considered the metro area. I am in the county just north of the Bronx. Go Yanks!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
How the hell do you ay so little and for a turbo no less?? I am paying close to $2k w Hagerty, but again location determines the premiums as well. Even though I live in the burbs of NYC, it's still considered the metro area. I am in the county just north of the Bronx. Go Yanks!
I pay $1043 annually for insurance on my '09 C2S CAB, Turbo's gone. At $600, two oil changes would be more than I'm paying for insurance. It's hard to justify driving a car that costs $1200 a year just in oil changes when my '08 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi cost around $60 per change with synthetic at the Dodge dealer. I don't care how much money one has, pissing it away like that is just senseless. If the oil change were under $200 that would be a different story. I agree with everything Dario said, "DIY oil changes is relaxing, less time consuming than driving to the dealership, AND saves money."
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay $1043 annually for insurance on my '09 C2S CAB
W/o divulging your actual location, you must be outside of the 128 belt?

BD
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
W/o divulging your actual location, you must be outside of the 128 belt?
BD
Reitzl Porsche of Norwell is charging $600 for an oil change.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reitzl Porsche of Norwell is charging $600 for an oil change.
that is just ridiculous. makes me think of $1200 screwdrivers for NASA.

i think just by merit of the fact that i've kept up with a thread on oil changes that i must admit i have a serious porsche / car addiction. admitting it is the first step i guess. i think i'll stop at one step.

i get my car maintained at my dealer. they're exceptional and very reasonably priced. i could do it myself for sure, but with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, it's a challenge because they're "helpers" you see.

additionally, the service dept in my dealership (barrier porsche, bellevue, WA) typically answers any or all of my silly questions. the seattle area has a lot of competition for porsche service so perhaps that competition has made them better - i don't know. overall, the quality of their people is very high - much higher than i've seen at the vast, vast majority of dealerships.

having tracked my car a bit, i replaced my brakes at about 12k mi and didn't even think twice about who would do it if i didn't do it myself.

Quick Reply: $285 for oil change!