Sponsored by:

$285 for oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Reitzl Porsche of Norwell is charging $600 for an oil change.
Just crazy.

Oil to use:
http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

Flat pan to use (fits under car with no jacks needed):
http://www.amazon.com/Wedco-12-1-Qua...9722171&sr=8-7

Optional ramps:
http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Rhino-Ra...9722216&sr=1-2

Takes whole 10 minutes to drain it out. Then take pan to nearest Valvoline instant oil change store - they accept any used oil for free.

Last edited by utkinpol; 03-27-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my oil & filter yesterday - thanks Todd for giving me the idea and confidence to do it myself.

I did not even have to jack up the car as the oil plug and filter are within easy reach. The car has to be on a totally level surface of course.

My 2005 C2S however took a total of 8.75 liters which is above other quantities mentioned on the 911 oil threads? The bar graph is exactly at full.

Changing the oil on a 911 is actually an easier job than on my TR6.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Only changing the subject matter a tad here.

I'm getting ready to change the oil in my Mercedes SUV Diesel (GL 320 CDI).

Since it is not a dry sump as the P-Car, I have a handy pump that sucks the oil out of the oil dipstick tube. The oil filter is easily accessible in the engine compartment, and the entire job takes about 20 minutes....about the amount of time just to drive to the dealer.

Oh yes, Mercedes charges $200.00.

It's even easier than the P-Car, which is incredibly easy.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
I did my oil & filter yesterday - thanks Todd for giving me the idea and confidence to do it myself.
Awesome!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I pay $1043 annually for insurance on my '09 C2S CAB, Turbo's gone. At $600, two oil changes would be more than I'm paying for insurance. It's hard to justify driving a car that costs $1200 a year just in oil changes when my '08 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi cost around $60 per change with synthetic at the Dodge dealer. I don't care how much money one has, pissing it away like that is just senseless. If the oil change were under $200 that would be a different story. I agree with everything Dario said, "DIY oil changes is relaxing, less time consuming than driving to the dealership, AND saves money."
I can see it from your prespective, given your low premium. However, I pay alomost $2k, which is pretty good in my area and w/ the low mileage I do a year, it will be a simple $240 charge for the oil a year. Once again, it is worth the extra money to me, just in case of a foul up, that a Porsche dealer is responsible.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Reitzl Porsche of Norwell is charging $600 for an oil change.
What! Can't be, it must be a confusion w/ the annual serivce that is done once every 2 years. If it is for the oil change, it is outrageous.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I have been reading a lot of the DYI stories, and if those of you under warranty come across an engine issue, that will be be first thing Porsche tries to hang their hat on. If you can afford a late model Porsche still under warranty, it's worth the extra money to get it done at the dealership or at least a garage. This way you do not own the liability. I am in a hard core cut throat world, being an A level Contractor in NYC and have seen things go down way too often. I learned long ago to always cover your ***.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I have been reading a lot of the DYI stories, and if those of you under warranty come across an engine issue, that will be be first thing Porsche tries to hang their hat on. If you can afford a late model Porsche still under warranty, it's worth the extra money to get it done at the dealership or at least a garage. This way you do not own the liability. I am in a hard core cut throat world, being an A level Contractor in NYC and have seen things go down way too often. I learned long ago to always cover your ***.
It's actually against the law for a manufacturer to hide behind that. (having a Porsche dealer do the work). Just do it, document it, and you're covered. Believe me when I say that I have had more damage done to my car when it's at the Porsche Authorized Service Center. Remember, it's not THEIR car.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
In order to deny a warranty claim, Porsche would have to:

Prove that the engine failure was a direct result of a problem with the oil

Prove that you did not perform the oil changes as scheduled

Consumer protection laws are clear and very much in favor of the consumer. Doing your own maintenance cannot create a warranty problem, as long as it is documented. And as long as you don't forget to put the new oil into the engine.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by JW911
In order to deny a warranty claim, Porsche would have to:

Prove that the engine failure was a direct result of a problem with the oil

Prove that you did not perform the oil changes as scheduled

Consumer protection laws are clear and very much in favor of the consumer. Doing your own maintenance cannot create a warranty problem, as long as it is documented. And as long as you don't forget to put the new oil into the engine.
haha! Not putting the oil in would be a bad thing! I am just over cautious I guess and prefer a professional to do it, rather than an infant that is me. I have never changed the oil in a car and not about to experiment on this one! Finally she is broken in by the book this weekend, w/ 2100 on the clock now. I followed the book and really never went above 5500 until I had over 1,500 miles. I squased the arguement of "should I cange the oil after break-in", cause coincidentally, the first year is up and it went in for the yearly change. Now that I am getting on the car, I just must say WOW! I am taken back how fast it is given only 385 hp and 310 tq. I had my friend in it that has an 04' C4S w/ headers, midpipe, mufflers, etc. and he was taken back by the power. I also say this cause I just came out of a Roush P51 mustang that had 540/540. The 911, utilizes every hp to its fullest potential, where as american muscle cars, waste many of them. And believe me, the P51 was fully factory modified, from the ground up, by Roush in Roush's hq. Hands down, the 911S can take that car and many others w/ more HP / TQ.
Just turned 40 today! The C2S is the present to myself.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Webcast
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a "change oil" warning light, or a "service" warning light on the dash that needs to be reset?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Webcast
Is there a "change oil" warning light, or a "service" warning light on the dash that needs to be reset?
I can only speak for a 997.2. When you start the car, a red service message appears.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Webcast
Yes there is. You can reset it yourself with the Durametric tool and a laptop. Or you can pay your dealer a fee to reset it. Durametric is $295. I use it on my 911 and my wife's Cayenne. It paid for itself rather quickly.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Yes there is. You can reset it yourself with the Durametric tool and a laptop. Or you can pay your dealer a fee to reset it. Durametric is $295. I use it on my 911 and my wife's Cayenne. It paid for itself rather quickly.
But the Durametric solution cannot 'set' the value of the service interval, only 'reset' it, so while the setting for the 997.2 was 10kmi/1yr, you will only be able to reset it to 20kmi/2yrs or something.... ie you will not be able to use the Durametric and keep using the on board computer providing timely maintenance intervals per the manufacturers instructions. You may be better off just having the dealer disable the the service reminders since you will need to be tracking it the old-fashioned-manual way if you change your own oil.

Quick Reply: $285 for oil change!