PDK possible overrevs ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No offense taken...I would like to know the correct ranges for the 997.1 turbo if someone will post. Thanks.
Just wander over to the 997 Turbo forum--I'm sure that they can tell you the values--when you exceed 6750 rpm@!!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
So the question remains can you overrev w/PDK?
No you CAN NOT over rev PDK......on acelleration depending on throttle position and the mode you are in PDK will either up shift before or at red line or bounce off redline. On downshifting...this is were manual transmissions get into trouble when a driver misses a gear and shift to too low of a gear and over rev's the engine...with PDK you can not miss a shift on down shifting and over rev the engine.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the definitive answer!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
No you CAN NOT over rev PDK......on acelleration depending on throttle position and the mode you are in PDK will either up shift before or at red line or bounce off redline. On downshifting...this is were manual transmissions get into trouble when a driver misses a gear and shift to too low of a gear and over rev's the engine...with PDK you can not miss a shift on down shifting and over rev the engine.
I used to think the same about tiptronic until I started doing data acquisition during autocross and discovered during some conditions (I frequently down-shift near the top end of first gear; only happened once that I know of) it was going several hundred RPM past the red-line, and delaying the upshift roughly a second past where it should have. I had always assumed the computer was smarter than that.

The accelerometer showed good acceleration through the range, but the backside of the horsepower curve still felt like a steep drop-off to the seat of my pants.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

sjfehr, PDK is nothing like Tiptronic...trust me...NOTHING like Tiptronic.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

But - what about reverse? I have wondered about the outcome of an off track spin at speed. Say the vehicle has spun and is now out of control and heading into the weeds backward at a high rate of speed. The standard training for non-professionals is "both feet in". But with a PDK, this is not an option. Does anyone have information about whether there is an accelerometer built into the device that may read directional control and throw the unit into a slip or neutral mode to prevent reverse over-revs?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
+1

what he said..

Quick Reply: PDK possible overrevs ?