Sponsored by:

PDK possible overrevs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK possible overrevs ?

Was driving home and caught a neighbor with a 996 GT3. My C4S PDK launch is my stunning DD, and I drive like an old lady for the most part...always holding back for fear of abusing the car...8K mi to date. Well, I accelerated to catch him...was probably in third when I punched it, to find it revving almost to the redline before shifting into 3rd or 4th ( I thought 4th )...at which point I backed off fearing something amiss, rather than keep pushing aggressively...all of this was in normal PDK mode...no sport or sport plus. Apart from my need for Porsche Driving School...does this sound anything like a normal PDK response? I had the impression that normal mode would upshift asap and am probably used to it...and never had it rev so. I understand also that all of this might have been normal performance...perhaps dumping into 2nd tp get me rolling , but that tach got me nervous. Thanks. Have patience...I'll get there, and I'm lovin every minute.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just basically guessing but, unless you're doing something really weird, I'm sure the PDK computer will not allow you to do something that will damage the car.

Anybody else?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I hope to be true...the whole thing seemed a bit much but then again...my driving is far from sporting at this point.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 AM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal. No worries. Sounds like you just experienced "kickdown". Just do a search for more info.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Was driving home and caught a neighbor with a 996 GT3. My C4S PDK launch is my stunning DD, and I drive like an old lady for the most part...always holding back for fear of abusing the car...8K mi to date. Well, I accelerated to catch him...was probably in third when I punched it, to find it revving almost to the redline before shifting into 3rd or 4th ( I thought 4th )...at which point I backed off fearing something amiss, rather than keep pushing aggressively...all of this was in normal PDK mode...no sport or sport plus. Apart from my need for Porsche Driving School...does this sound anything like a normal PDK response? I had the impression that normal mode would upshift asap and am probably used to it...and never had it rev so. I understand also that all of this might have been normal performance...perhaps dumping into 2nd tp get me rolling , but that tach got me nervous. Thanks. Have patience...I'll get there, and I'm lovin every minute.
PDK is not your father's auto. Are you saying you never redlined your engine in 8k miles? Why do you drive a Porsche?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Can't over rev the PDK....you need to drive that car...let it breath. My 09 with 11k miles is at Sebring about every month for track days. The car runs awesome.

Also go sign up for Porsche Driving School and do a few track days. Trust me on this just go do it...especially the Porsche School.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Even in normal mode, PDK is adaptive and will respond to aggressive throttle inputs with shifts at higher revs, as you experienced. Let it out a little more often and enjoy the performance.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

You can't over rev PDK on upshifts and more importantly you cannot mechanically over rev it on down shifts ie missing a gear as in a manual and finding one that results in the engine reving far past red line. I have run PDK on the track and it is outstanding. I spoke with the maintainers at the Porsche driving school (they have used the same PDK equiped cars for almost 15 months with no PDK issues ... not one. Drive the car
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I experienced exactly the same thing and posted this question some months back.
Scared the hell out of me, All is NORMAL!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

There was a post on the Turbo 996 forum about 5 years ago where someone-who was not just a casual owner, reported DME evidence of both types of overrevs on a tip equipped Turbo.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The only way a PDK car will exceed the redline (and add to your 'bad' DME numbers) is if you take it out of gear (neutral) and then floor the accelerator.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The only way a PDK car will exceed the redline (and add to your 'bad' DME numbers) is if you take it out of gear (neutral) and then floor the accelerator.
I'm not so sure it would get into range 3 or higher by doing this, would it?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I actually don't understand your question?! Isn't this HOW IT IS SUPPOSED to behave? Even regular Auto transmissions on sporty cars do the same.

Last edited by alexb76; 03-18-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jnx
I'm not so sure it would get into range 3 or higher by doing this, would it?
Try it and see.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Edgy01;7406107]Try it and see.[/QUOT
Sure, bring you car over and I will. Still don't think it would get to a range 3 or 4 though. Wouldn't the rev limiter do it's intended job, that is much different than a missed downshift.

Quick Reply: PDK possible overrevs ?