Sponsored by:

PDK possible overrevs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The rev limiters do SOME work at keeping the engine speed below the redline, however the momentum of the engine as it climbs will carry the engine speed beyond the redline. I have several DME 'points' above redline for that very reason, but none from a missed downshift.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the info. I appreciate it. Porsche driving school will be asap. And yes, I haven't redlined it in 8k miles, and am still having a blast...things will only get better as I progress with my driving abilities. I bought the car appreciating it for what it is and its potential to handle anything I might encounter as a daily driver as well as its capabilities as a high performance vehicle with an impressive heritage. My original question arose from what I sensed to be an extreme type of revving that I hadn't yet experienced in highway driving at low or high speeds with numerous downshifts, accelerations to pass, merge etc...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Can you over rev by downshifting.. Using the paddles to downshift going into a curve ? engine braking..
Does the trans protect the engine during a mistake like that??
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Can you over rev by downshifting.. Using the paddles to downshift going into a curve ? engine braking..
Does the trans protect the engine during a mistake like that??
My inderstanding is (and I could be wrong) that the software will protect against that ^ type of mistake.

Let's say you wanted to shift from 6th to 2nd gear. If going to 2nd would cause the car to rev above the red line, the software would take you only to the lowest gear (3rd or 4th) which would not cause an over rev, thereby protecting the engine from "driver error."
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
savyboy
Drifting

There is NO WAY to overrev a PDK car. It is not possible. Regardless of the scenario you try to imagine.

Can't be done.

Poor Porsche...never been revved before...why even own a track-bred sports car? No surprise we see the posts about burning oil. The engine was never broken in.

If you own one of these fine cars, please for the love of all that is good and decent in the world, go to PSDS and take all three of the courses-

Performance (2-day)
Masters (2-day)
Masters Plus (3-day)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I cry for your Porsche that in 8000 miles, it's only see the red line once. It's what your engine was built for! It's what it loves! Let it kiss that little red line every time you drive! You're not going to hurt it, that's why the red line exists- below that line is just fine.

Right below the red line is the peak hp range; with so many gears, the PDK will keep your engine right in the peak of the power band. The biggest problem here is not that your car did this, but that you've never seen if before. Don't worry, it's a problem that's easily remedied! My prescription: ensure your tach kisses the redline at least 3 times in rapid succession, two times per day. Repeat every day for 2 weeks, or until symptoms of discomfort [from actually driving your car as it was designed] disappear.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ there's a lot of truth to the benefits of an "italian tune up" - apologies to the tifosi

just warm up the car first.

my advice to the OP - put the car in 3rd and drive to west palm beach
Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I cry for your Porsche that in 8000 miles, it's only see the red line once. It's what your engine was built for! It's what it loves! Let it kiss that little red line every time you drive! You're not going to hurt it, that's why the red line exists- below that line is just fine.

Right below the red line is the peak hp range; with so many gears, the PDK will keep your engine right in the peak of the power band. The biggest problem here is not that your car did this, but that you've never seen if before. Don't worry, it's a problem that's easily remedied! My prescription: ensure your tach kisses the redline at least 3 times in rapid succession, two times per day. Repeat every day for 2 weeks, or until symptoms of discomfort [from actually driving your car as it was designed] disappear.
Amen Brother! That's what I'm talkin' bout!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
... I drive like an old lady for the most part...always holding back for fear of abusing the car...8K mi to date...
Why did you buy a Porsche?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
There is NO WAY to overrev a PDK car. It is not possible. Regardless of the scenario you try to imagine.

Can't be done.
As I stated earlier, putting it in neutral, and racing the engine can overrev a PDK car. The momentum of the engine speed will exceed the rev limit and you will 'over rev' the engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As I stated earlier, putting it in neutral, and racing the engine can overrev a PDK car. The momentum of the engine speed will exceed the rev limit and you will 'over rev' the engine.
No, it will not. At least on a 997.2. It hits the rev limiter. It will not over rev. Ask me how I know

Foot flat to floor in neutral will result in a redline and not over. No overrevs will show in DME.

Anyone that wants to try it can see for themselves. Anyone with a Durametric can confirm with a DME readout afterwards.

A downshift into the wrong gear, on a MANUAL transmission, is the only thing that will cause engine to exceed redline in a damaging fashion.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Redline prescription is working...feel better already! ...thanks everyone.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Savy--you're stating that no matter what you do, you can never accrue numbers on the DME with a PDK car? And that the rev limiter will shut down the engine earlier than redline in order to avoid above redline encroachment from an unburdened engine? If that's the case then any PDK equipped car will never be warranty rejected for an 'abused' engine. Certianly a consideration for PDK shoppers...
Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Redline prescription is working...feel better already! ...thanks everyone.
You live close to Sebring and I do track days there with 3 groups...PCA Suncoast, Chin Motorsports and PBOC. Check out all the dates and sign up. You will learn a ton and have a blast. I also HIGHLY suggest the Porsche Driving School.

When I started out with track events I did 1-PCA Suncoast event at Sebring and then took the Porsche school Performance class. I learned so much between those 2 events it changed my driving and lifestyle forever.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Will do & thanks...recommend Porsche driving shool before track...no?

Quick Reply: PDK possible overrevs ?