Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain this insurance reasoning (USAA and Skills events)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just hoping that I make it thru this summer when the car is paid off..... then it is less pain (I guess) if I wreck a car that I do not have to drive all the time.

I have seen insurance pay (Allstate) and not pay (State Farm) - not me driving... It has always been in the back of my mind with USAA if I am covered. I dont want to jinx it, so I am going to leave the policy in my safe for now.

I wonder if USAA has noticed the recent influx of calls in regards to DE coverage?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts

If Lockton is charging $600 per event that's outrageous. I've used them before and the tariff was always less than $300 (albeit on a car valued at $40K).

If you plan to do a lot of DE events buy insurance for the season. I'm trying this place this year http://www.wsibinsurance.com/. I had it with ProSure last year but Chris Maume seems to have disappeared. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd sure appreciate them.

I would never rely on my primary (street) insurance to cover a DE loss. Just a bet I wouldn't be willing to take.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
They totally covered my GT3 when I totaled it at the track.. Didn't canx me but my rates did go up. They have on my policy that nothing will be covered at the track.

Can't really blame them.
Ah-HA! You're the one. Now we can all blame YOU.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
They totally covered my GT3 when I totaled it at the track.. Didn't canx me but my rates did go up. They have on my policy that nothing will be covered at the track.

Can't really blame them.
So, I cannot reconcile your policy saying that nothing will be covered at the track and then them paying out a big claim for you smashing your car at the track. No insurance company would be paying for damages your policy doesn't cover you against... horrible business practice. Something isn't right here.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
If Lockton is charging $600 per event that's outrageous. I've used them before and the tariff was always less than $300 (albeit on a car valued at $40K).
It is vehicle value based. Yeah, if I was driving a car worth $40k, the quote is much less. But when I say I want to insure a $100k, brand new Targa for a DE event, well, the rate gets a bit silly.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They paid and then changed the rules. It took extended explanations but the thing that clinched the payoff for me was the fax of the track schedule showing track time and classroom time. That proved I was not racing and it was a Driver's Ed School.

I was one of the last payouts, from what I understand, before the change.

Quick Reply: Someone explain this insurance reasoning (USAA and Skills events)