Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain this insurance reasoning (USAA and Skills events)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russo
It's really amazing how we have come to hate capitalism in all its forms. Insurance companies, just like any business, answer to its shareholders, which by the way, are most hardworking folk.
What's this "WE"????? I don't hate capitalism.....
Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Well, Im an idiot. Just checked my facts and that's GEICO I was referring to USAA does have a good rap.

I've heard AMICA is amazing too.

Apologies, time for sleep!
have a 6 figure claim as a result of a child's crash last year. Our rates did not go up a nickel
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Well, Im an idiot. Just checked my facts and that's GEICO I was referring to USAA does have a good rap.

I've heard AMICA is amazing too.

Apologies, time for sleep!
Chris, Kudos and respect from me for manning up and admitting your mistake.
Your a good example to us all.

Details on being dropped on a '2nd claim' would help... since that's a wide range of possibilities. If you totaled a relatively new car and were assigned fault in the accident, then totaled or wrecked the replacement new car within 6 mos or a year, again with being at fault... I can see any reasonable insurance company saying: that's it, your out. Whereas, if you, say backed into a pole, and then within 6 mos had someone else be at fault who hit you in the side.. there's no reason to exclude you there.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tone
You're entitled to your opinion
Regarding DE events to become a better driver...makes you a better driver at the track and yes, some skills will transfer to the road...but come on, why should USAA or any other insurance co. cover you when you're driving at 7/10ths ++ when most only drive at 2-3/10ths on the road?

I'm sure if you took a real defensive driving course or similar NOT a DE and had an accident you'd likely be covered.
Some skills will transfer to the road? Do I understand this well? If I were to use this same logic then I can assume that law enforcement people that practice their marksmanship can only hope to transfer some of their skills? Don't be offended, but anyone driving at 7 to 10/10's on the track should be able to transfer all of those skills when driving on the road at 2/10's. Similarly, you draw a comparison between a defensive driving course, appropriate for the beginning everyday driver to skills learned at the track? I am sorry to say, but this sounds a little unusual, to say the least. To conclude, if I follow this logic, race car drivers, are only marginally better or safer when driving in the real world than your average John Doe?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Tone
Racer

Originally Posted by russo
Some skills will transfer to the road? Do I understand this well? If I were to use this same logic then I can assume that law enforcement people that practice their marksmanship can only hope to transfer some of their skills? Don't be offended, but anyone driving at 7 to 10/10's on the track should be able to transfer all of those skills when driving on the road at 2/10's. Similarly, you draw a comparison between a defensive driving course, appropriate for the beginning everyday driver to skills learned at the track? I am sorry to say, but this sounds a little unusual, to say the least. To conclude, if I follow this logic, race car drivers, are only marginally better or safer when driving in the real world than your average John Doe?
ok...let's play this out. Let's say YOU are the insurance company. It's your money. Are you saying that drivers at DE events are lower risk than those on the road??

If they were you wouldn't see all our policies now exclude DE events. Insurance companies have a lot of resources to calucalte risk. They've had too many claims at the track and decided that's enough. We can argue all day if DE events make us better/safer drivers...but it seems like a mute point since the insurance companies with the data have concluded it's higher risk and for the most part no longer covering DE events. Like many here, I wish it wasn't soo, but frankly, I think it's reasonable.

Chris C., you'r not an idiot & thanks for noting the mistake on USAA...no biggie...cheers
Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Chris, Kudos and respect from me for manning up and admitting your mistake.
Your a good example to us all.

Details on being dropped on a '2nd claim' would help... since that's a wide range of possibilities....
I can tell you that I've had USAA for 20+ years. We've had 2 claims and I still have them, so not sure what Chris is talking about applies to all.

I too know that USAA wont cover me on DE's, so I do http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com

FWIW,

Chuck
2009 911S SPASM, manual tran,
1998 M3 track rat
Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tone
ok...let's play this out. Let's say YOU are the insurance company. It's your money. Are you saying that drivers at DE events are lower risk than those on the road??

If they were you wouldn't see all our policies now exclude DE events. Insurance companies have a lot of resources to calucalte risk. They've had too many claims at the track and decided that's enough. We can argue all day if DE events make us better/safer drivers...but it seems like a mute point since the insurance companies with the data have concluded it's higher risk and for the most part no longer covering DE events. Like many here, I wish it wasn't soo, but frankly, I think it's reasonable.

Chris C., you'r not an idiot & thanks for noting the mistake on USAA...no biggie...cheers
I understand your point; however, it seems ridiculous to exclude DE events. For example, a car goes off and is damaged, the damage is typically restricted to the vehicle itself. In the real world, the smallest and most insignificant incident becomes a court case, involving the ambulance chasers. I think that this issue warrants further study by the insurance industry. For example, one study could look at how many real accidents are DE drivers involved in vs the general population. I am willing to bet that DE drivers are involved in a lot less accidents.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I would really like to see some DE data - accidents per event, cost to repair per accident (mean and std dev), injury and costs, etc. Also street accidents per mile for DE drivers vs non-DE trained (maybe intermediate and advanced students?).

I think the insurance companies believe DE events are too risky but they also don't give any credit for improved skills on the street.

I also think the newer language is too restrictive - it might exclude events like StreetSurvival which is clearly good for teenage drivers and has to lower their risk (guessing, no data).
Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just saw this info (req. by p-cardriver). It might be available from your local PCA DE rep. If I find it again, I'll post it here. You can PM user Mikelly and ask him (ref. back to this thread if you need to).
Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CHV

I too know that USAA wont cover me on DE's, so I do http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com
But the $620 for the day premium for Lockton makes it a non-starter for me. I'm not willing to plunk down about $1000 to do a DE event.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Actuaries collect the data and comes up with the numbers. Insurance companies do not want to bother.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i have USAA - best insurance on the planet. on 2 separate occasions i called them to confirm i AM covered for a DE. both times, they called the supervisor over, went to various websites i provided (PCA local, PCA main, etc), read exactly what "DE" was and concluded that i AM covered. both times i had them note it in the file (for peace of mind, the 2nd time i called, i asked "if there were any notes" and they confirmed and read the prior note to me).

beyond that, at an event last year someone overheard me talking about it and said he had USAA also, DID have a wipeout on the track previously and they DID cover it.

FWIW...
Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

you need to read your policy in your state. until this year, USAA only had mention of "timed events" but now expanded the language in WA state. it varies.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:27 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They totally covered my GT3 when I totaled it at the track.. Didn't canx me but my rates did go up. They have on my policy that nothing will be covered at the track.

Can't really blame them.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Friend of mine stuffed his GTO into a tire wall at VIR during a DE a few months ago. He was entirely 100% up-front and truthful about it, took lots of photos, etc, and GEICO paid the claim.

After all the horror stories I've heard about people getting their insurance dropped just because they were spotted on a track, I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Quick Reply: Someone explain this insurance reasoning (USAA and Skills events)