Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain this insurance reasoning (USAA and Skills events)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had USAA for years. Every year about this time I call them and confirm DE coverage. Every year they agree to make a note in our file. Last fall we had a car-tire wall incident. They initially approved coverage, then sent the claim to legal, and tried to deny it. But there was that darned note. They paid it with their usual excellent service. This year we received a letter stating that they would not cover DE and similar events, pretty much as the OP suggested the language means. We bought a policy from WSIB (I think) for the season to cover DEs etc.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
machina
Racer

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I've had USAA for years. Every year about this time I call them and confirm DE coverage. Every year they agree to make a note in our file. Last fall we had a car-tire wall incident. They initially approved coverage, then sent the claim to legal, and tried to deny it. But there was that darned note. They paid it with their usual excellent service. This year we received a letter stating that they would not cover DE and similar events, pretty much as the OP suggested the language means. We bought a policy from WSIB (I think) for the season to cover DEs etc.
which company is WSIB?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hmm, did u miss GW Bush name (and his ownership society) intentionally?

We mostly agree actually... just from different points of view. Let's give the thread back!
Russo is correct. A fella named clinton (and schumer and barney franks) a wanted everyone to own a house, whether they could afford it or not. The law and associated executive orders are on the books and now part of undeniable history. Of Course, Now the government owns all of those houses...and the auto industry...and the banks....and healthcare (just say no!). Bush repeatedly voiced his opposition to deregulation of GSEs. He simply did not have the votes in congress to repeal it.
Spend a day or two watching Milton Friedman and learn something about free markets and understand the way things work in the USA (in a way that the founding fathers intended.)
Rejoice! Free markets have blessed us all with 997.2s! Funny that I didn't see many in France.........
If USAA pisses you off (i luv them, BTW)....work harder, make 70K, put it in a tin can, and when you crash your car, pay for it to be fixed. Duh!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Russo is correct. A fella named clinton (and schumer and barney franks) a wanted everyone to own a house, whether they could afford it or not. The law and associated executive orders are on the books and now part of undeniable history. Of Course, Now the government owns all of those houses...and the auto industry...and the banks....and healthcare (just say no!). Bush repeatedly voiced his opposition to deregulation of GSEs. He simply did not have the votes in congress to repeal it.
Spend a day or two watching Milton Friedman and learn something about free markets and understand the way things work in the USA (in a way that the founding fathers intended.)
Rejoice! Free markets have blessed us all with 997.2s! Funny that I didn't see many in France.........
If USAA pisses you off (i luv them, BTW)....work harder, make 70K, put it in a tin can, and when you crash your car, pay for it to be fixed. Duh!
There's so much polemical baloney here (except for the 997.2 part) that it's impossible to respond to it all without going hugely OT. I'll just say that if you truly believe Fannie and Freddie were the primary cause of the 2008 meltdown you are tragically misinformed. My last post in this thread is a suggestion; you should read Michael Lewis's book, The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
As Mike said, to respond properly will take this to totally OT, just a couple of links below, nuff said, my last post in this thread:

utube.com/watch?v=GkAtUq0OJ68

utube.com/watch?v=kNqQx7sjoS8&NR=1

Edit: took out direct youtube links to be respectful to OP, as we went off topic too far (for ones interested, replace utube with youtbue in the links).

Last edited by alexb76; 03-18-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy threadjacking!

So USAA does NOT cover any losses at DE or track events?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Holy threadjacking!

So USAA does NOT cover any losses at DE or track events?
Yeah, if you filter out the capitalism/political junk.. that seems to be the consensus.

However, my intended point that got somewhat lost, and partly my fault as I minimized this point in my own initial post:

DE and DS events WOULD be covered if we held them on the open road or a facility that was not a 'closed course'. Thats what seems so silly; that the policy states that they will NOT cover an activity specifically designed to improve a drivers skills on a closed circuit.

Go figure.

Given the PCNA coverage is about $250 per weekend, with the track fees and whatnot, thats one friggen expensive day at the track at probably $600 for the day. I don't know about you, but $600 is a lot of speeding ticket money with a pretty scenic I-90 through the Cascades just in my back yard.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Yeah, if you filter out the capitalism/political junk.. that seems to be the consensus.

DE and DS events WOULD be covered if we held them on the open road or a facility that was not a 'closed course'. Thats what seems so silly; that the policy states that they will NOT cover an activity specifically designed to improve a drivers skills on a closed circuit.

Go figure.

Given the PCNA coverage is about $250 per weekend, with the track fees and whatnot, thats one friggen expensive day at the track at probably $600 for the day. I don't know about you, but $600 is a lot of speeding ticket money with a pretty scenic I-90 through the Cascades just in my back yard.
I've got USAA too, and without even looking at the policy, I doubt they would cover a DE event accident, and the above language confirms my doubts.

However, my last speeding ticket cost me much more than $600.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There's so much polemical baloney here (except for the 997.2 part) that it's impossible to respond to it all without going hugely OT. I'll just say that if you truly believe Fannie and Freddie were the primary cause of the 2008 meltdown you are tragically misinformed. My last post in this thread is a suggestion; you should read Michael Lewis's book, The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine.
Did you have to look "polemic" up?? (sorry for the dig, but it was right there!)
Anyway, there are books that state the opposite of what you contend too, and youtube links as well. I guess that there is many examples of "truth", huh? But the seeds of many of our current problems come from extreme amounts of income redistribution and feel-good intentions of actually enticing lenders to lend to anyone with a heartbeat. Surely no party is clean on this either. (the GOP had +1 vote to stop the policy 5 years ago) But, Wait till we see what the current spate of Keynesian nonsense does for the economy. In fact, many of these failed proposals have failed first in places like NY, Cali, NJ, Conn, and MASS. Do you know what all of these states have in common? Besides being bankrupt......
Fact is, markets self-regulate to a very large extent. I suggest reading less of Paul Krugman and more of Uncle Milton.
Back OT: Usaa does what it does to make money...end of story. Porsche does what it does to make money. All corporations that are responsible to shareholders are required by law to maximize profits. I can't say that I blame USAA for protecting themselves. There are insurance policies that cover racing, and that is what needs to be purchased! If you don't like it, start your own company and insure everyone for everything. In six months, you will be a failed business.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by machina
which company is WSIB?
http://www.wsibinsurance.com/online/de.shtml
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

USAA sucks in many aspects. Any company that provides radar guns to police departments so they can raise their tax revenue and won't cover you if you tell them you use radar detectors doesn't want our business. Similarly, they'll drop you on the second claim you put through. They're all about the short term transaction, and not interested in judging your risk as an individual, or your value to them over time.

They are entitled to that - we have choices. Fireman's fund is by far the most amazing company I've dealt with, and they are about making money by looking at the overall relationship over time. They have ALL of my business.

I think what grates on people (in addition to the above BS practices) is that they immediately assume that anyone with a turbo or radar detector, or who does a DE to become a better driver, is a red mist freak who will cost them money. They're missing out on the fact that many people do DEs to be better driver's all around and to not push the limits on the street where there are far too many dangers to life and property. They miss the fact that I've been a great (read very profitable) customer for my insurance company over the years despite my aberrant tendencies

YMMV.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Tone
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris C.
USAA sucks in many aspects. Any company that provides radar guns to police departments so they can raise their tax revenue and won't cover you if you tell them you use radar detectors doesn't want our business. Similarly, they'll drop you on the second claim you put through. They're all about the short term transaction, and not interested in judging your risk as an individual, or your value to them over time.

They are entitled to that - we have choices. Fireman's fund is by far the most amazing company I've dealt with, and they are about making money by looking at the overall relationship over time. They have ALL of my business.

I think what grates on people (in addition to the above BS practices) is that they immediately assume that anyone with a turbo or radar detector, or who does a DE to become a better driver, is a red mist freak who will cost them money. They're missing out on the fact that many people do DEs to be better driver's all around and to not push the limits on the street where there are far too many dangers to life and property. They miss the fact that I've been a great (read very profitable) customer for my insurance company over the years despite my aberrant tendencies

YMMV.
You're entitled to your opinion on USAA, however, you are the minority.
JD Powers ranking: http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ovider-ratings

Many others say the same. USAA is tops.

They've gone above and beyond for me when needed.

Regarding DE events to become a better driver...makes you a better driver at the track and yes, some skills will transfer to the road...but come on, why should USAA or any other insurance co. cover you when you're driving at 7/10ths ++ when most only drive at 2-3/10ths on the road?

I'm sure if you took a real defensive driving course or similar NOT a DE and had an accident you'd likely be covered.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 AM
zander35
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 997 and fully intend to do some track events, although nothing competitive. Specifically just Friday at the Tracks at Summit Point. I have Allstate and was reading through the fine print of my policy this evening. They exclude "Any vehicle, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a) Competing in; or
b) Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest."

In reading this I think I'm covered, as it's definitely not a competition or practice for a competition. It's purely driving instruction. I do club race another car in SCCA, so I'm slightly concerned they could argue I'm always practicing when I'm on track.. but it's a totally different car. Anyone else have similar wording or thoughts?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
It's really amazing how we have come to hate capitalism in all its forms. Insurance companies, just like any business, answer to its shareholders, which by the way, are most hardworking folk.
Agree 100%. We all have cars that cost more than what Obama's brother will make in his life time and we **** and moan about companies being evil. I have had GEICO for 30 years and they cover DE in my policy but I expect that if I ever stuff it in a wall they will make a change. Just like life insurance if you skydive you premiums go up.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Well, Im an idiot. Just checked my facts and that's GEICO I was referring to USAA does have a good rap.

I've heard AMICA is amazing too.

Apologies, time for sleep!

Quick Reply: Someone explain this insurance reasoning (USAA and Skills events)