Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?

I'm torn...I love the classic 911 look, but the aero package is wooing me. Help me make a decision. This is Atlas Grey...that's not negotiable....
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Makes a difference on the track, but for the street it's purely cosmetics. I lean towards the traditional look unless function outweighs form for your needs.

Best possible outcome? You're wooed by the aerokit and use the purchase as motivation to get the car out to the track.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

good question...I'd only track it once a year..maybe...so it's more form than function
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the aero kit on my car, which I bought used with the X51 kit, GT3RS wheels, painted seat backs, etc. Runs great. Looks badass. Costs money. I think this is the GT3 aero kit, based on what they told me at the PPI. Front end often scrapes on driveways, and I have replaced the sacrificial strip on the front once already and it needs it again. But if I had ordered the car I would have spent the money on PCCB's or full leather. For the money, you could almost get a cab for the price of the aero!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say "No" and based on my years on the track having the aero bits doesn't make any difference. That is at 150 at Monticello and Watkins Glen there was no lack of downforce / grip / stability in the C2S vs. the GT3 that had the aero bits. Ironically when I had the GT3 I wondered if I could ditch the rear wing and get the glassic 911 rear deck with pop-up...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I suppose while tracking at very high speed the Aero Kit would make a difference, while Ron's real life experience is different.

I think at the end of the day, this is more of a cosmetic statement, and for me, a cop magnet. I rather drive a more sleeper car, and the scraping upfront would bug me a lot... so, I'd say "No".. unless you totally dig the looks!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
rpalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u track it works out good just make sure you get a real aero package with the complete set thats been tested witha wind tunnel ...and if you aint tracking, who cares it looks awesome anyway!!!!! plus it aint common so your porsche will look like the way its made to look- bad ***!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes speeds well 150 for something like the Aero to come into play and I don't think there's any track here in the US where you are going to find those speeds in a 997 C2S. Autobahn where you can get up in the 180 range with cross winds, maybe. But US highways, byways, and even tracks... nope.

This all goes to my reason for selling my 997 GT3 and getting the 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM, which I've since modified (see signature). Track monster, but has the classic look of the 911, is a sleeper, has full visibility out the rear window, doesn't scrape at every driveway and speed bump, etc.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Some, like me, think the Aero kit tries to make a non-GT3 look like a GT3 when it isn't. Like my '73 911T from years ago...when I bought it (used) the emblem on the deck lid said 911S. It wasn't, so I changed it back to 911T.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

If you like the aero kit, you should get it. I agree with others that its functional virtues are not a factor.
You should also realize that with that painted aero kit that if you have any even slightly inclined driveway/obstacles in your typical driving that it will get destroyed.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You know my opinion! Atlas with OEM Aero Kit.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be an age thing.

Big question: What will your peers think?

Be fair to yourself: Answer the question before you say/decide, "I don't care what they think."
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

thanks all....great responses. hadn't thought about the driveway/scrape deal...I do have a steep driveway. I'm kind of with Ron...I like the front air dam better than the wing.

I love how this is the toughest decision of my day....
Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr

Might be an age thing.

Big question: What will your peers think?

Be fair to yourself: Answer the question before you say/decide, "I don't care what they think."
this is really the crux of my internal debate...plus my wife's not liking the wing either.

then I see Andrew's car and go

Andrew - does Atlas really change shade that much in natural light compared to the photos in the first post?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
thanks all....great responses. hadn't thought about the driveway/scrape deal...I do have a steep driveway. I'm kind of with Ron...I like the front air dam better than the wing.

I love how this is the toughest decision of my day....
997 with PASM (sport lower suspension) has the BEST ride height of any sports car I've ever seen. It's low enough, yet, rarely scrapes unless you're not paying attention.

I had a friend with aerokit and he was scraping all the time! It all depends on your driveway and roads.

I also wish we got the aerokit front bumper instead of the OEM vanilla one... and I might do that at some point.

Quick Reply: Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?