Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My car looks more blue/grey as opposed to grey like the photos you posted. You may want to confirm color. The scraping is insignificant, as flat black paint and 10 min takes care of any excessive scrapes. You will need to enter all curb cuts on a sharp angle. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
If you like the aero kit, you should get it. I agree with others that its functional virtues are not a factor.
You should also realize that with that painted aero kit that if you have any even slightly inclined driveway/obstacles in your typical driving that it will get destroyed.
Ditto. Spending this kind of cash on a car is about getting what you want, not what makes other people happy. So if you want the aerokit, by all means check that box. I did on my '07 S and have no regrets.

One question to ask your dealer though: can you replace the lower painted part of the front spoiler with the unpainted GT3 part? I do this on my car, it's a simple bolt-on change, and keep the painted factory original in my garage. Every two years or so I get it replaced when it gets too banged up. I don't know if this part is interchangeable between the newer GT3s and 997s, though.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewdr
My car looks more blue/grey as opposed to grey like the photos you posted. You may want to confirm color. The scraping is insignificant, as flat black paint and 10 min takes care of any excessive scrapes. You will need to enter all curb cuts on a sharp angle. Good luck.
Atlas color code is E7, yes?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the color codes but the photos in the 1st post sure look like Meteor Grey as opposed to Atlas.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
this is really the crux of my internal debate...plus my wife's not liking the wing either.

Since you kind of asked, Joe . Assuming you're the right age, wing-ifying your car could be construed as a possibly embarrassing mid-life crisis thing. Since you're in the Bay Area the mid-life crises stigma still applies. If you only lived a few hundred miles south we could let it slide since in SoCal there's no such thing as MLC so wings are never a problem.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a 06 Club Coupe with the aero. I loved the look. I recently bought an new left over 09 C2S and it will have the aero kit as well. I'm not trying to copy a GT3, I just like the look. At the end of the day, it is what you think looks best.

By the way, I am in my late 40s and could care less if people think it looks juvenile.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
By the way, I am in my late 40s and could care less if people think it looks juvenile.
+1 - I am in the same age bracket and I could care less what others think! I am perfectly comfortable with my likes and dislikes.

If you like the look get it, cause everytime you see your car you will think - yes that is mine and it is bad @$$!

Good luck with your decision!

JCM
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

One other factor is the 16 year old in the hot rod honda next to you at a light. I had black wheels on my silver C2 for a few months. It was like moths to a flame. The last straw for me was a middle aged guy in a hopped up Volvo that probably blew up his car in a drag race attempt at a light. I don't street race. Perhaps others with GT3s and aero kits could advise. Not sure how old you are. In case you are 16, this might be just what you needed. Best of luck mate.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 PM
andrewdr
Racer

I could not find the color code for Atlas on my window sticker but will look if anyone knows where.

With regard to others perceptions, I am convinced that people tend to think strangers are more interested in them than they actually are.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
lig
Racer

I'm not a big fan of the 997.1 GT3 or aerokit taco wing. The front end is great but the 997.2 wing is better and if I ever add a wing to my car it'll definitely be the Sport Classic ducktail. Love that wing!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I am posting a full retraction- I just caught a picture of the sports classic. I love the look. Dam the rice burners. Perhaps I should move back across the pond.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

[QUOTE=andrewdr;7386682]I could not find the color code for Atlas on my window sticker but will look if anyone knows where.]
Check inside the fuel filler door. There's a sticker with the code there on my car.

Originally Posted by andrewdr
With regard to others perceptions, I am convinced that people tend to think strangers are more interested in them than they actually are.
I'm sure you're exactly right. Except about me, everyone is interested in me.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Alternative opinion - the duck tail does nothing for me. It's trying to bring back something from the 70s on a 21st century car? Let form follow function. Our cars work well and look great with the pop-up system. Leave well enough alone, save your money, don't try to make your balanced car look like something else (ie: Race car with big wing, 70s vintage tail, etc.).
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Thanks Chris - according to my fuel filler door, the Atlas Grey code is M7X
Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Absolutely

Quick Reply: Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?