Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

My 2 cents: I realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't help thinking how tacky the aerokit looks when I see one. Driving in a major urban area, they just look kinda pathetic. I was walking with my 10 and 15 year old sons last week and a 996 with an aerokit drove by. (I have nothing against the 996, had one and loved it.) My kids were awestruck and said that the passing 996 was much cooler than my car. Enough said, I'm glad my car doesn't strike with the teen and preteen crowd.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
By the way, I am in my late 40s and could care less if people think it looks juvenile.
Okay. This is in no way meant to be disrespectful. We've never met I couldn't possibly make a judgement about yours or anybody's character here. I'm just sayin' Okay? No biggie. Just talking about stuff.
Problem is I know this guy, he's our age and people would definitely call him juvenile; kind of nuts, verrry interesting to be around for 30 minutes once a month. He sails offshore in a daysailer at night and ask him about his handheld radio (will it have enough range?) and he says, "What radio?" He's basically annoying, never returns calls, his wife wants to kill him for BS immature stuff he does which the rest of us don't do. Now my point: focus inward. If a guy wants a wing and people think it may be juvenile is that ALL that is that guy's problem? Sometimes it's not just about accessorizing one's car. Again, not saying anything to be hurtful or nasty here. Just something to think about for 30 seconds or more.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great dialogue, fellas....many thanks.

In the end, I'm really looking for an Atlas "S" with PASM, etc. I contacted the dealer who confirmed the color code (seal gray). While a beautiful color, I'm kinda stuck on Atlas. So I get to delay my aero kit decision for another day.

regarding age, yes to mid-life, but there's no crisis....

basically, I really like the aero front, its the huge wing that gives me pause. Or I could put myself out of my misery and get a turbo which has the right combination of both.

like I said before, if this the hardest decision of my day, life must be pretty good....
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you're asking, I say no...I agree that the front looks quite nice, but the rear wing is way too big and "in your face" as a daily driver reminds me of the dufy wing that comes on the back of that souped up Subaru.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You say you really like the look of the front aero piece, but I have to ask -- when do you ever sit and stare at the front of your own car? We're all out there driving our cars and to be honest with you I don't know or care what the front end, grills, lights, etc. look like. I know my 09 has LEDs, but if asked I could not do a police artist sketch of the front. Was the front of my 07 C2S different, slightly... I think. Yes, the GT3 was different - it was a pain in the neck.

So I guess my follow-up thought is to enjoy the car for what it is.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
I'm torn...I love the classic 911 look, but the aero package is wooing me. Help me make a decision. This is Atlas Grey...that's not negotiable....
you like it?
buy it.

Craig
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Honestly, I respect all the opinions here. I think thats what makes this forum great.

Maybe my opinion of the aero kit goes back to the 12 years I raced Porsches. I always thought the factory race cars looked more aggressive than the street version. After owning everthing from a Carrera RS, 993TT and several Supercup cars from 964s 993 to 996s, maybe the look is in my blood. I don't care if the aero on my new 997.2 helps me on the track or looks juvenile on the street, I just like the look as it sits in my garage.

Porsche did a lot of research coming up with the best combo of front vs. rear. I think the tail is a little over the top, but that's just what Porsche came up with.

As far as the teenage children making comments...., my nine year said my 997s Club Coupe (without the aero kit) looked like Sally from the "CARS" movie. That was a let down.

Thank goodness for Porsche giving us the option to customize the car to our financial ability.

Bottom line... I can't wait till they deliver my 997.2. It was loaded on the truck today and will be finding its way to Florida soon..
Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Since you're asking, I say no...I agree that the front looks quite nice, but the rear wing is way too big and "in your face" as a daily driver reminds me of the dufy wing that comes on the back of that souped up Subaru.
Couldn't say it better myself.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I liked the idea of some exterior changes/aero kit as to differentiate my 997 a bit from the others on the road but I didn't like the wing on the back (not a fan of wing's on a 997, especially a Cab as I think the back end is one of the best parts of the car). So in my case, I mixed and matched a bit.

Front Bumper: OEM GT3 - My favorite front bumper.
Rear Bumper: Rinspeed Indy - Not a fan of the bumperettes on our OEM bumpers so this does away with that. Also, this has matching side vents with grills that matches well with the front bumper.
Side Skirts: TechArt - I think it helps bring the front and back together well.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Liceman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally find a "cool factor" with the stock stealth wing that deploys itself at 75mph, then tucks back in when not needed. That can put a smile on your friends'/kids' faces too!

In the end, the car will look gorgeous no matter what you choose.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Originally Posted by JoeShark
I liked the idea of some exterior changes/aero kit as to differentiate my 997 a bit from the others on the road but I didn't like the wing on the back (not a fan of wing's on a 997, especially a Cab as I think the back end is one of the best parts of the car). So in my case, I mixed and matched a bit.

Front Bumper: OEM GT3 - My favorite front bumper.
Rear Bumper: Rinspeed Indy - Not a fan of the bumperettes on our OEM bumpers so this does away with that. Also, this has matching side vents with grills that matches well with the front bumper.
Side Skirts: TechArt - I think it helps bring the front and back together well.
Yeah I agree on a cab the wing just throws the proportions of too much.
But on a coupe it does look good!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

From my experience, there is something to consider about everyday drivability with the aerokit.

The rear wing, depends on our eye heights in the cockpit, would block the view in the rear mirror. Especially in night driving, the wing might block the headlights of some cars behind us, thus we would need to be busy checking the side mirrors.

The front spoiler is lower, thus might scrape some driveways/speedbumps that might not before. Especially if the front spoiler is painted, that could be costly to repaint/replace again & again in longrun.

Above might seem like minor inconvenience during the honeymoon period after installing the aerokit, yet for longrun they are something to consider.

Regards,
Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on many of the comments above, I see there are several that would never consider owning a GT3 or GT3RS due to the wing. Fortunately, Porsche makes enough variations to satisfy even the most demanding of personalities.

997 w/OEM Aero Kit, etc..etc..
2010 GT3 next
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdr
Fortunately, Porsche makes enough variations to satisfy even the most demanding of personalities.
My point exactly.....
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...........and anyone with basic DIY skills can swap out the rear wing for the oscillating deck in 45 minutes. have the best of both worlds and go back and forth as your tastes change during the year.

even the aerokit nose is an easy DIY install. a relatively inexpensive mod that totally transforms the looks of the car and gives it so much more presence on the road.

aerokit wing at the shop getting sprayed this week. im anxious to complete the look.

Quick Reply: Opinions sought - Aero Kit, Yes or No?