Sponsored by:

Any blown engine in a MY06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any blown engine in a MY06?

A soloporsche fellow and me are trying to have more information about engine failures

He helped me to do a home custom made IMS bearing support. (It's published in 996 forum)

So we wanted to know if any of you know about someone who suffered a 997 MY06 IMS engine failure, and if there's any 997 reman engine which suffered an IMS bearing failure

I read that Porsche upgraded the IMS in the early months of 2005, updating the IMS tube with an enlarge diameter single row bearing and a 14 mm bearing support/stud.

I don't know if there is any engine like this which suffered a failure, or the issue was fixed.

Could you help me please?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Very successfully question, ha ha ha...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

From forum posts alone it is more common to see complaints about MY05 cars having IMS failure. But several people did see MY06 and MY07 cars in service with IMS related issues as well. But no one yet I think posted about MY06+ IMS failures here or on 6speedonline forums so we can assume it happens not as often as with MY05 and earlier cars.

Issue by itself is 'fixed' in MY09+ cars as they do not have IMS anymore. Any cars prior to MY09 may have this failure. As often will it or will not happen probably depends most of bearing lubrication and single row bearings look to survive a bit better than dual row ones in MY05 and prior cars.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Single row bearing works better than double one, and there is a problem with the design.
as you said, the problem comes from the point It has an IMS...

I did a custom made retrofit/upgrade with an hybrid ceramic bearing in my 996
Tomorrow I'll go to the workshop to get it

http://www.pasionporsche.com/compone...ms-996-36.html

i didn't know if the upgraded enlarged IMS in 997 models could fix the problem.

It's very very important a great lubrication. It's incredible to follow Official dealers maintenance intervals (oil change = 30.000 km)
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
From forum posts alone it is more common to see complaints about MY05 cars having IMS failure. But several people did see MY06 and MY07 cars in service with IMS related issues as well. But no one yet I think posted about MY06+ IMS failures here or on 6speedonline forums so we can assume it happens not as often as with MY05 and earlier cars.

Issue by itself is 'fixed' in MY09+ cars as they do not have IMS anymore. Any cars prior to MY09 may have this failure. As often will it or will not happen probably depends most of bearing lubrication and single row bearings look to survive a bit better than dual row ones in MY05 and prior cars.
I'm very interested in this as I'd like to buy a 997S in the next coming year or two. What do you mean by "IMS related issues." Are you referring to leaks from the IMS area? I've searched and have found several M96 997/987 failures, but a have not heard of a documented M97 failure. I've also spoken with a Porsche tech who said that he has not seen an IMS failure on the later (06 and up cars). I would be interested if anyone has heard of a documented failure.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmarch
What do you mean by "IMS related issues."
When IMS bearing gets stuck and falls apart usually it leads to a catastrophic engine failure and essentially you need to shell out for a new engine.

Look it up on forums, you will find plenty of descriptions about this. MY06+ cars seem to be a bit more stable in this regard. I personally think issue is a bit exaggerated in our forum discussions but you do hear from time to time about people who got engine blown up because of faulty IMS.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
JM993
Banned

Yes, I understand what happens with an IMS failure.

You mentioned in your post that "several people did see MY06 and MY07 cars in service with IMS related issues as well. But no one yet I think posted about MY06+ IMS failures here or on 6speedonline forums so we can assume it happens not as often as with MY05 and earlier cars." Are you saying that you know of documented M97 IMS failures? I think it's telling that we haven't seen one documented here in this forum.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmarch
Are you saying that you know of documented M97 IMS failures? I think it's telling that we haven't seen one documented here in this forum.
I would guess it probably would be more informative to ask service manager at your dealership this question. My car is still on CPO so I am not really concerned, if anything happens because of IMS I should be covered.
So I did not investigate it too much. I just remember seeing some posts somewhere, here or on rennlist about somebody who saw `07 car with IMS failure. I would say the same - if car has IMS - it may break. Hopefully it happens less often than on `05 cars but probably still may happen. Who knows.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done searches on this and other forums in the past and have never seen anyone post about a MY06-MY08 car with this problem. All of them were '05 cars, and even with the '05 it seems kind of rare. That's not to say it coudn't happen, but it hasn't been reported yet on this forum as far as I can tell. Hope it stays that way (knock on wood).

I too recall an '05 owner with this problem saying something about some other cars in the shop at the time, don't recall exactly, but I thought it was other '05 cars. Regardless IMHO, that's hearsay until someone who actually owns the car posts about it.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I've done searches on this and other forums in the past and have never seen anyone post about a MY06-MY08 car with this problem.
Me neither. I have seen a number of posts from 05 owners who have experienced failures. Hardly scientific, but a good sign that the M97 engines in the 06-08 cars are holding up.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I've done searches on this and other forums in the past and have never seen anyone post about a MY06-MY08 car with this problem. All of them were '05 cars, and even with the '05 it seems kind of rare. That's not to say it coudn't happen, but it hasn't been reported yet on this forum as far as I can tell. Hope it stays that way (knock on wood).

I too recall an '05 owner with this problem saying something about some other cars in the shop at the time, don't recall exactly, but I thought it was other '05 cars. Regardless IMHO, that's hearsay until someone who actually owns the car posts about it.

FWIW, follow this thread on 07' CS with IMS failure.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ability-2.html
Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link
Old 03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FriedEgg

Oh shoot, guess it was bound to happen, if indeed it was a leaky IMS and not RMS. At least it did not result in engine failure, which is the big worry (knocks on wood again).
Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
single row bearings look to survive a bit better than dual row ones in MY05 and prior cars.
MY05 (and for a few years before) have single-row bearings. Smaller than the MY06-08 but single nonetheless. Dual-row bearings were phased out several years earlier. There were three bearing designs throughout the 996/997.1 models.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by FriedEgg

Looks as though that guy had an RMS leak - not an IMS failure. Big difference.

Quick Reply: Any blown engine in a MY06?