Sponsored by:

GT3 Bumper & Center Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Bumper & Center Radiator

Perhaps one of the only good fortunes of getting into a bit of trouble with the front end of my car is getting some possible upgrades out of it. I'm thinking about adding a GT3 front bumper, along with center radiator kit to an 09 C4S. No rear wing will be added (yet) and car will see a few DE / track events.

Any disadvantage to the upgrades? Cost of upgrades? Labor, including paint, as well as price of the standard bumper are all included. Anyone have an idea of out of pocket expense on this? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 AM
rpalomo
Instructor

may not be related exactly but just got myself a gt2 spoiler- its aftermarket but i know the guy and does a really good job of fitting and painting aftermarket porsche parts. it cost me 1900 painted and installed but thats also gettiing the buddy discount
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming as an old school 911 guy, I remember in the old days (3.2L Carrera era) that the 911 aero kit functions in combination of both the front spoiler and rear spoiler.

If we just change the front, the rear will not have enough down force to balance the whole car aerodynamic. If we just add the rear wing, the same applies to the front.

I guess for road use and cosmetic purpose, it might not make much difference. Yet for track use, especially in high speed course, it might be a consideration...?

Other track gurus please chime in.

With best regards,
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Coming as an old school 911 guy, I remember in the old days (3.2L Carrera era) that the 911 aero kit functions in combination of both the front spoiler and rear spoiler.

If we just change the front, the rear will not have enough down force to balance the whole car aerodynamic. If we just add the rear wing, the same applies to the front.

I guess for road use and cosmetic purpose, it might not make much difference. Yet for track use, especially in high speed course, it might be a consideration...?

Other track gurus please chime in.

With best regards,
Spot on. The car aero will be wrong.

I laughed with the comment - "I guess for road use and cosmetic purpose, it might not make much difference". Yeah, I see many of these cars being driven for 'cosmetic purpose'.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Your observations (axhoaxho) are spot on. Changing anything will result in a reduction in safety--unless they are using a wind tunnel to crosscheck their changes.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't mess around with "perfection". I had a GT3 and didn't care for how low the front was (scraped everywhere) nor how the rear wing obscured vision. Also, is there a 3rd radiator for the DFI cars? I thought that was a 997.1 item only.

My car (C2S without Aero) has seen 150 at Monticello and Watkins Glen and the car is rock solid and was not lacking for any aero / downforce.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone. I do understand what is being said about the balance of forces, however, shouldn't the deployment of automatic the rear wing create enough downforce at high speeds to supplement the addition to the front? From a physics standpoint, what exactly is the downside of having extra force on the front without an exact balance on the rear?

That being said, if I did want to add a rear wing, what would I be looking at for options and prices?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think only a Porsche Engineer could answer your questions on mixing and matching aero bits.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

For street driving adding just front aero GT3 parts will not have any safety issues in my opinion. When you start to hit 100mph in a curve on the track yes your aero will be off. Only track tests and wind tunnel tests will tell you the truth.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Johnny V
Instructor

Cam here is one that looks nice
http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-...nice-pics.html

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I think Porsche actually has a factory aerokit for the 997.2 C4S, which I am sure is tested and approved for use in all speed.

The rear wing looks pretty neat.

Regards,

Consists of a new front apron with new spoiler, and new engine cover with rear spoiler and fixed rear wing. Note: significant reduction in approach angle on gradients.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Consists of a new front apron with new spoiler, and new engine cover with rear spoiler and fixed rear wing. Note: significant reduction in approach angle on gradients.
I had the factory aerokit (front spoiler and whaletail) on my '84 Carrera, but that was when I lived in a different house. The note above is why I don't have an aerokit on my current 997.2; wouldn't be able to make it up or down my own driveway.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
camhabib
Instructor

For those of you who have done this conversion - how much did you pay? I just got a reply from Suncoast, and just for the bumper, it's a list of $5k (minus discount). What gives? The non-GT3 bumper is a list of $1k, and I could have sworn I've seen GT3 bumpers for under $2k before. 5 x the price for a diffuser is a bit outrageous, even for Porsche.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

To be totally honest, I think your C4S is as beautiful and classy as it is, no need for any extra aerokit or spoiler.

If you really hope to do something on it (which I understand), I think a set of high-quality lighter-weight wheels (painted to your liking) will be visually and functionally better-off for your money.

Just a thought.

With best regards,
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would agree--don't overdo it. In no time you can turn it into a Ricer.

Quick Reply: GT3 Bumper & Center Radiator