Sponsored by:

997.2 2009 MY - O2 sensor flaking out

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 997.2 2009 MY - O2 sensor flaking out

Just providing a data point. Had the 'check engine' light on for a few weeks, then went on a trip...came back and the light was still on.. then a day or so later it went off again. Took the car in anyway, with my laundry list of other small issues with PCM software and such.

Techs say the o2 sensor was throwing intermittent errors. Hm. I'd have thought those items were pretty bullet proof at this point. 6k miles and 14 months on the car.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Just providing a data point. Had the 'check engine' light on for a few weeks, then went on a trip...came back and the light was still on.. then a day or so later it went off again. Took the car in anyway, with my laundry list of other small issues with PCM software and such.

Techs say the o2 sensor was throwing intermittent errors. Hm. I'd have thought those items were pretty bullet proof at this point. 6k miles and 14 months on the car.
The O2 sensors are pretty robust items, given the environment in which they have to work both what they are exposed to outside of the tip and what the tip is exposed to and most last a long time and perform just fine this whole time. (MY 02 Boxster has a couple of its original O2 sensors and the car has over 229K miles on it.)

However, there are exceptions. If the diagnosis is right and it is an O2 sensor have the bad sensor replaced under warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Sensors are being replaced at the dealer.
(as is a slight coolant leak, a PCM software upgrade which will probably not fix all of the PCM issues related to iPod discharge and screwy resets and PCM not realizing it has the XM module, or unmuting on its own).
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Ok, o2 sensor replaced.

PCM updated to software v 1.4. The service guys still tout the mantra that to sleep the iPod one should unplug it. And have no clue about the volume going off-mute for no reason.

The coolant leak was a defective/mis-installed seal in the line behind the pump but before the engine.. it took forever to replace that thing as they had to remove about 20 things from the car to get to it. Nothing like spending 5 hrs labor to replace a $10 o-ring.

I was asking the service manager about the quality control, given we had to replace the Targa roof seal last year as it was installed improperly, and now this seal. He told me he has seen crate engines coming in with bolt on components bolted on facing the wrong way. I'm wondering what the trainees do... other than assemble crate engines

Quick Reply: 997.2 2009 MY - O2 sensor flaking out