Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Are you Guys Paying For Oil Changes Right Now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

$75, DIY, using quality oil and filters. The dealer's paying even less for material, so anything more that you pay is going right into their pocket. It's very easy to do, and NOT worth paying someone $50 or $150 to do for you.

You're Porsche owners, act like it!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There is no easier service to perform yourself than an oil change. How much do you pay for someone to fill your fuel tank with gas?
At least the car burns the gas--getting rid of 9.5 quarts of used motor oil is principally why I don't change my own oil on my Porsches.

I do my own brake fluid flushes, however.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

^^ I just drop my used oil at any local shop or even gas station. Usually fits into 2 gallon sized milk containers.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmat
^^ I just drop my used oil at any local shop or even gas station. Usually fits into 2 gallon sized milk containers.
Second that. Businesses that sell oil are required by law to accept used oil.

(CA state law. Side note: pharmacies are not required to accept expired prescription medicines they filled for disposal. Yeah, I know OP in Texas. Just shows you no state's perfect...)

Anyhow, I make a note of being recognized when I walk into a handy Kragens auto parts store and buy 10 quarts of engine oil (sometimes double that amount if both cars require oil change).

Then when I have the old oil ready to dispose of the clerk just waves me on to the back room where I dump the oil. I always never make a mess and bring my own paper towels to wipe the drain pan pour spout with and my hands.

I use one of those large enclosed drain pans that has a handle so I can just walk in with drain pan/container full of oil and dump the oil directly from the container in to the oil tank. No need to bother transferring to another container.

Sometimes store manager or head clerk gives me a special store manager's special on oil. When I get discount it saves me $0.50 to a $1.00 per quart on oil.

However, last time I bought oil for my 03 Turbo I went with Castrol Syntec 5w-50 and it was way cheaper than even Mobil 1 0w-40.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what surprising about this thread that dealer's pricing is not consistent at all,even for a simple job like a OC. amazing.

Quick Reply: What Are you Guys Paying For Oil Changes Right Now?